Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jilebinator)
    yeh i was. i was in the green group. Ian Slaters one was bad for me because i haven't learnt the binomial expansion in C4 and couldn't remember it from C2.
    I agree! I failed that question pretty badly! There were a host of other questions on that slide that I wanted to try but he managed to pick one which I hated. But I suppose that's what I'm meant to be doing - improving on my weaknesses.

Sadly I'm quite lazy when it comes to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Femto)
    I agree! I failed that question pretty badly! There were a host of other questions on that slide that I wanted to try but he managed to pick one which I hated. But I suppose that's what I'm meant to be doing - improving on my weaknesses.

That question is definitely tough first time round that's for sure

ReputationRep:
    Since we're talking about insurance choices, due to me not really wanting to go to London (for funding more than anything else) I'm not about choosing UCL as my insurance choice. The other choice I'm considering is Warwick Maths & Physics (used to be Maths but I changed it so I had an extra insurance option).

Now I'd probably prefer to go to UCL because in the end all I really want to study is maths, but I'm really unsure if it's worth putting my parents in a unfair position financially.

EDIT: Maybe I should talk to my parents about this before I ask you guys haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Femto)

In previous years Peter Mitchell's excellent introduction contained a scathing reference to 'module man' who learns the topics for an A level module exam, gets a good score and promptly forgets what he learned.

Both STEP and AEA assume you have a full grasp of the whole syllabus at the same time. It's not always obvious when you start a question which bits you're going to have to know.

So how to get that message across? Simply saying so risks everyone nodding and moving on. My technique is to assume (brutally) that by this time in Y13 every serious candidate has in fact mastered the earlier bits of the syllabus. If that produces a reaction along the lines of 'OMG I should know that but I've forgotten' then there's still time to fix that. There's also a bit of showing people just how much others know - to emphasise how strong the competition is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    It's rare but there are a few such people out there...

In regards to the choice, have you taken any A2 FM exams in January? I ask because results day in March will help you to decide whether you think you're comfortably going to meet the A*A* component of either offer (you might be able to make a judgement on this without having sat any A2 FM exams too, possibly).

If this is the case, then you shouldn't need to worry about the grade requirements of either (presuming that at least a 2 in STEP is well within your grasp) and just choose the one you prefer.

I would recommend Warwick.
    I think this is great advice (apart from the recommendation obviously! ). Not to put pressure on you, but I really hope you get into Cambridge. Not because Imperial or Warwick are bad universities - remember I rejected Cambridge and firmed Imperial - but the theoretical physics at Cambridge is second to none in the world IMO.

Not that this helps but I loved Imperial (and think its better for theoretical physics than any university than Cambridge, in the third year).

If I were you though I'd insure whichever place you felt most at home and concentrate on STEP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SParm)
    Spend 11 hours on the train and two and a half hours at the actual University in Bath...clearly valid :ahee:

But the Uni and town were lovely; and I was impressed by the actual day itself...may well be my insurance =P
    Same here. Well an hour and a half plane ride and an hour an a half train for me (times 2 of course).

Probably going to be my insurance too. Unless I go to Durham and really not like my college at the open day or something like that.

It seemed like nearly everyone who went on the open day on Wednesday went with their parents, felt like a bit of a loner haha. Was a good day though. Was soo sunny and nice in the afternoon too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ian.slater)
    In previous years Peter Mitchell's excellent introduction contained a scathing reference to 'module man' who learns the topics for an A level module exam, gets a good score and promptly forgets what he learned.

Both STEP and AEA assume you have a full grasp of the whole syllabus at the same time. It's not always obvious when you start a question which bits you're going to have to know.

So how to get that message across? Simply saying so risks everyone nodding and moving on. My technique is to assume (brutally) that by this time in Y13 every serious candidate has in fact mastered the earlier bits of the syllabus. If that produces a reaction along the lines of 'OMG I should know that but I've forgotten' then there's still time to fix that. There's also a bit of showing people just how much others know - to emphasise how strong the competition is.
    Yeah, I understand I don't tend to forget things really; tends to be odd things like the binomial expansion for instance (Haven't studied it in C4 yet but when you say we should know this already - you're quite right). It is my fault.

And the competition is certainly high indeed as I realised last Saturday!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else going to the Sheffield open day tomorrow?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    Same here. Well an hour and a half plane ride and an hour an a half train for me (times 2 of course).

Probably going to be my insurance too. Unless I go to Durham and really not like my college at the open day or something like that.

It seemed like nearly everyone who went on the open day on Wednesday went with their parents, felt like a bit of a loner haha. Was a good day though. Was soo sunny and nice in the afternoon too.
    I'm still stuck between Warwick/Durham/Bath for my insurances D=...madness. I shouldn't have picked such good Uni's...all their courses look good =P.

I wasn't there with my parents, actually =P...I was there with my friend. I was the quite tall Indian person with the not so tall, not so Indian friend with him =P. Not sure whether you'll have seen us though...there were quite a few people there on the day, after all. It WAS a lovely day =P...I was pleasantly surprised

ReputationRep:
    I need opinions, should I have Bath or Bristol as my insurance choice? Both want AA. I honestly don't know which one I prefer, which uni would you say is better for maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SParm)
    I'm still stuck between Warwick/Durham/Bath for my insurances D=...madness. I shouldn't have picked such good Uni's...all their courses look good =P.

I wasn't there with my parents, actually =P...I was there with my friend. I was the quite tall Indian person with the not so tall, not so Indian friend with him =P. Not sure whether you'll have seen us though...there were quite a few people there on the day, after all. It WAS a lovely day =P...I was pleasantly surprised
    Yeah, there was a lot more people there than I thought there would be. I was the girl in the purple dress and grey coat with the blonde-ish hair haha. I don't know if I saw you. But yeah, it was a good day.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone else taking STEP are being made to pay for the exams?
    My college are saying I have to but I can't really afford £85.40
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by iyanaomi)
    I was under the impression that you had to self fund as the norm O.o...that was what the few of us doing STEP at our school were told...that you had pay for yourself in that respect...but it may well be different for others. I'm really sorry to hear about your situation ...do you have no one that can help you pay...especially given the crucial nature of these exams? Which two papers are you looking to do (given you've said you need to pay £85.40)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iyanaomi)
    I had to. My exam's officer was like, "AEA's a public exam, sitting the AEA is like being entered for an A-Level Maths unit. The school will cover it. However, STEP is a private exam - you'll have to cover that cost yourself. Plus invigilation charges."

What a waste of £42. The worst thing is this year I'll have to pay for the AEA as well (should I decide to enter for it, which I probably won't).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle)
    Just purchased my first three mathematical reads. If anyones read any of them, what did you think?

1) The music of the primes: Why an unsolved problem in mathematics matters.
    Marcus Du Sautoy.

2) The Code Book: The Secret History of Codes and Code-breaking.
    Simon Singh.

3) Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy.
    Bertrand Russell.
    I've read the code book, pretty interesting especially if you're into the applications of mathematical ideas; however personally I preffered 'Fermats last theorem' becasue it seemed more directly mathematical but still a good read!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SParm)
    I was under the impression that you had to self fund as the norm O.o...that was what the few of us doing STEP at our school were told...that you had pay for yourself in that respect...but it may well be different for others. I'm really sorry to hear about your situation ...do you have no one that can help you pay...especially given the crucial nature of these exams? Which two papers are you looking to do (given you've said you need to pay £85.40)?

(Original post by Ree69)
    I had to. My exam's officer was like, "AEA's a public exam, sitting the AEA is like being entered for an A-Level Maths unit. The school will cover it. However, STEP is a private exam - you'll have to cover that cost yourself. Plus invigilation charges."

What a waste of £42. The worst thing is this year I'll have to pay for the AEA as well (should I decide to enter for it, which I probably won't).
    I was told that I should have it paid for me as it's crucial to my offers for university and yet when I went to get the Application Form from my college's Exam's Officer today, she told me that I had to pay as it was a "private" exam and I am "choosing" to do it as an extra. Although now I know other people are also paying then I feel less hard done by ahah!
    I'm doing STEP 1 and 2, though it would be best to double my chances and not put all my eggs in one basket for a grade 2 or hopefully a 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoebe x)
    I've read the code book, pretty interesting especially if you're into the applications of mathematical ideas; however personally I preffered 'Fermats last theorem' becasue it seemed more directly mathematical but still a good read!
    The code book was a fantastic read. I actually decided to apply for engineering instead of mathematics in the end but It was still worth reading.

ReputationRep:
    Im thinking of firming kings and i want to live away from home, i live in london Just inside the m25 ring road, and by just i mean like 5 mins, will i be considered for accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone going to be at warwick for the open day?

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering...you know the Maths A level modules and Further Maths modules can be rearranged to make Maths have the best overall grade, which modules must be included in the normal maths a level?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.