Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Firmed Nottingham, Insured Leeds!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittyKattyKaity)
    Have you looked at the modules and course structure for each? Imperial is generally a more applied course, partly because they're a very strong Engineering university. Also do you prefer city living or campus? Green spaces or urban? Warwick offers more opportunities for doing courses outside Maths so if you're interested in taking modules in Business, Languages etc then that might be important to you.
    It is? In my second year (yes I know the course has changed now) I took every pure option, and in my third and fourth years was very predominately pure, split about equally between Algebra/number theory and Analysis (in the courses I took to exam, I went along to some of the applied lectures).

I'm guessing that Imperial only looks more applied because as I understand it, Warwick's applied courses are shared with the physicists.

They're both good universities though so I honestly think the decision should be based on the type of campus you'd prefer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittyKattyKaity)
    Have you looked at the modules and course structure for each? Imperial is generally a more applied course, partly because they're a very strong Engineering university. Also do you prefer city living or campus? Green spaces or urban? Warwick offers more opportunities for doing courses outside Maths so if you're interested in taking modules in Business, Languages etc then that might be important to you.
    I have looked at the cousr structure for both unis, and Warwick is flexible in terms of the modules you can talk from day 1, where as with imperial, the first 2 years are heavily focused on pure maths, and only in the third year do you get any flexibility at all. I think I prefer applied maths, and I will get to do it at both unis, I'll just have to endure no flexibility for the first 2 years at imperial :/

I also read somewhere that almost 50% of people graduate from imperial with less than a 2:1 :/ but then again Imperial does have a better name overall (despite warwicks's brilliant reputation for maths), so if I do well, my job prospects are likely to be better if I graduated from imperial :/

But then again, london is soo expensive to live in, but it's well connected ie, good night life etc . And warwicks's in the middle of nowhere :/ but has a really nice campus.

Basically, you see my dilemma, I still have no idea which one to pick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxxkrishyxxxx)
    I have looked at the cousr structure for both unis, and Warwick is flexible in terms of the modules you can talk from day 1, where as with imperial, the first 2 years are heavily focused on pure maths, and only in the third year do you get any flexibility at all. I think I prefer applied maths, and I will get to do it at both unis, I'll just have to endure no flexibility for the first 2 years at imperial :/

I also read somewhere that almost 50% of people graduate from imperial with less than a 2:1 :/ but then again Imperial does have a better name overall (despite warwicks's brilliant reputation for maths), so if I do well, my job prospects are likely to be better if I graduated from imperial :/

But then again, london is soo expensive to live in, but it's well connected ie, good night life etc . And warwicks's in the middle of nowhere :/ but has a really nice campus.

Omg, please ignore all the spelling mistakes, I was typing this on my phone, and it wouldn't let me change it :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxxkrishyxxxx)

Do you know anyone at either that you could stay with for a weekend to get a feel for the place? Eldest went to the STEP day at Warwick. We stayed at one of the conference centres and he went out on the Friday night with someone he knew from an online forum who lives in Rootes. He decided two things. (1) he loves Warwick and really wants to go there and (2) he really didn't like Rootes

We spent a week in London back in the summer and he went round Imperial and spent quite a lot of time in the area and really didn't like it so that made that decision a lot easier and in the end he didn't even apply to Imperial. He doesn't like cities and really likes campus unis so it wasn't a very hard choice for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xero Xenith)
    Screw you, Mr I'll-Get-In...

On the plus side, Cambridge using STEP means that if they get a candidate they're not 100% sure about, they can err on the side of "just give them an offer" (unlike Oxford)

But we had the MAT last year, although it's not as demanding as the two STEPs for you guys, it still sorted all the applicants into a list of the strongest to weakest. So it's quite rigourous as well but yeah I'll admit, not as challenging as what you guys will face. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blacklistmember)
    it doesnt make sense to withdraw it before you hear from them, may i ask why? just curious
    I wasn't well enough at the time to go through their exam, interviews etc. and perform to the best I could. I was giving about 10% of what I could at the time, and applied 'cause I'd got their requirements in A-Level whilst being completely out of my mind. So I withdrew after interviews, does that make sense?

Looking back now probably should've applied to Cambridge instead as that would've given me 6 months to get better before trying my hand at STEP (had I got an offer obviously), but enough of this self-indulgent essay; I'm happy to go to 2 of my offers at least.

(Original post by cpdavis)
    Let me just say though, although A Level maths might help for the first half of the first term at uni, after that everything you learn becomes useless. You learn to not have maths done by routine and therefore can be a bit more creative with ideas. Within my year, I know some people who say got A*A* in both Maths and FM, but are finding university maths so hard that some people have dropped out. Similarly, I know others who only say got AA (or even AB) and are finding that university maths suits their way of thinking and as a result doing quite well. So put simply, hang in there guys
    Can you give rep more than once on this forum?

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding it vvv hard to decide between Lancaster and Sheffield as my insurance choice: both want the same grades.....
    Is either better at maths/better in general?

ReputationRep:
    It's not maths related but any idea on a good student bank account?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by BeccaCath94)
    It's not maths related but any idea on a good student bank account?
    What would you prefer from an account?

ReputationRep:
    Still can't decide on my insurance. Bath or St. Andrews?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    Still can't decide on my insurance. Bath or St. Andrews?
    I personally would do Bath, but because I love Bath :love: But the question is, up North or down South?

ReputationRep:
    I personally would do Bath, but because I love Bath :love: But the question is, up North or down South?
    Well I live in North East Scotland but I've lived abroad nearly my whole life so distance isn't an issue at all for me really. Firm is going to be Durham which I guess is half way for me so...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    Well I live in North East Scotland but I've lived abroad nearly my whole life so distance isn't an issue at all for me really. Firm is going to be Durham which I guess is half way for me so...
    Also another factor you could look at is how confident are you with your offer? Also, have you visited both places?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xero Xenith)
    Assuming by "Step 2" you mean "a certain grade in STEP II" and not "a 2 in STEP", it's worth considering that STEP II is a lot harder than STEP I, and Warwick tends to place very highly in rankings. Often above Imperial, I think.

It also has a better boy/girl ratio than Imperial
    If that is the case, then there must be hardly any girls doing maths at Imperial... :lol:

ReputationRep:
    What would you prefer from an account?
    I don't really know - just a good deal i guess! :confused:
    I have no idea what all this overdraft stuff means and other features!

ReputationRep:
    Also another factor you could look at is how confident are you with your offer? Also, have you visited both places?
    Well I got A (Maths) A (Stats) and C (Physics) in my prelims. Now last year I got AAACC in my prelims but AAAAA in my final exams and I got an A band 1 in Physics last year (highest grade you can get) so I'm pretty confident I can boost that C up to an A and I'm pretty confident that I can retain those A's in Maths and Stats.

My Bath offer is AA which I'm pretty confident that I will meet. Then obviously St. Andrew's is an unconditional so it doesn't really matter what I get. But I'm thinking that if I put Bath as my insurance I will know that I have to get at least AA and therefore I feel like I will be more motivated to get AAA whereas if I put St. Andrews as my insurance it doesn't really matter what I get and there won't be that extra push for me to get that AAA which I need for Durham. But I do really want to go to Durham so I guess that's motivation enough.

I've visited Bath twice and Durham twice but I've only visited the town of St. Andrews. Considering it's the closest I don't know why I haven't managed to visit yet. I was going to go yesterday but the open day appeared to be all booked up "/ I mean I guess it is so close I could pop down whenever really. I think there's an open day next wednesday and I might try and make that one but it would mean missing more school and we are just finishing off the course in a few subjects so I don't really want to miss that. Aghh. Decisions!!

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone on here firming Imperial who I can chat with? I've been a bit silly and firmed Imperial without visiting it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edwin Okli)
    I've been a bit silly and firmed Imperial without visiting it.
    :eek:

The people who I've spoke to (who are currently at Imperial), dislike it quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    :eek:

The people who I've spoke to (who are currently at Imperial), dislike it quite a bit.
    I've read opinions like that. "Lack of girls and too much work makes me depressed." But I figure university is what you make it.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.