Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edwin Okli)
    I've read opinions like that. "Lack of girls and too much work makes me depressed." But I figure university is what you make it.
    I'm referring to the teaching over there, not the boy:girl ratio or the social aspects.

It is, but I'd rather go to a less reputable Uni and get a good degree, rather than having to spend half my time looking up **** which wasn't taught (this viewpoint is directly from a guy I know who studies there).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    I'm referring to the teaching over there, not the boy:girl ratio or the social aspects.

It is, but I'd rather go to a less reputable Uni and get a good degree, rather than having to spend half my time looking up **** which wasn't taught (this viewpoint is directly from a guy I know who studies there).
    Unfortunately I'd have to agree with this from what I know I tutored a boy last year who has gone to Imperial with A*A*AAb (School don't do FM so he came to me once a week for a couple of hours). He was back for Easter and needing help with his revision so I was going through past papers, class tests and his notes. I spent most of my time digging out my old Uni notes to supplement his A lot of the class tests seem to assume a very high level of independent studying and the level of abstraction is also very high. He also appears to get very little support from his tutor. He sailed through A level M & FM but is sinking like a stone at Imperial and is really struggling with first year.

Sorry I couldn't be more positive, and I know that there are people at Imperial who love it and are thriving, just you need to be prepared to hit the group running and back all your lectures and tutorials up with plenty of independent study.

Like I said, I don't have any direct experience of Imperial, just through this student I teach. Hopefully someone out there will have more personal experience of it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Evening looking through the first year maths papers at Imperial make me go :zomg: I think it's more of the idea that there are so many papers to do and they go into a lot of content (more then my first year anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittyKattyKaity)
    Unfortunately I'd have to agree with this from what I know I tutored a boy last year who has gone to Imperial with A*A*AAb (School don't do FM so he came to me once a week for a couple of hours). He was back for Easter and needing help with his revision so I was going through past papers, class tests and his notes. I spent most of my time digging out my old Uni notes to supplement his A lot of the class tests seem to assume a very high level of independent studying and the level of abstraction is also very high. He also appears to get very little support from his tutor. He sailed through A level M & FM but is sinking like a stone at Imperial and is really struggling with first year.

Sorry I couldn't be more positive, and I know that there are people at Imperial who love it and are thriving, just you need to be prepared to hit the group running and back all your lectures and tutorials up with plenty of independent study.

Like I said, I don't have any direct experience of Imperial, just through this student I teach. Hopefully someone out there will have more personal experience of it.
    My view of Imperial is rather like the independent school, Haberdashers' Askes, in Hertfordshire, whereby if you're a strong candidate, then all's well and you'll be stretched. If not, you'll be struggling and left behind.

Given what you said, would it be reasonable to assume those who do graduate from Imperial must be something special, and should possibly be even more highly respected than Oxbridge graduates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dugdugdug)
    My view of Imperial is rather like the independent school, Haberdashers' Askes, in Hertfordshire, whereby if you're a strong candidate, then all's well and you'll be stretched. If not, you'll be struggling and left behind.

Given what you said, would it be reasonable to assume those who do graduate from Imperial must be something special, and should possibly be even more highly respected than Oxbridge graduates?
    I went to that school. I was one of the weakest in my FM class and never took A-Levels seriously at all.

I can tell you for certain you'll be stretched regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dugdugdug)

I've never heard anyone say that about habs...most people at my school see it as a slacker's school...(which is true of the people I know there in my year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicMan)
    I've never heard anyone say that about habs...most people at my school see it as a slacker's school...(which is true of the people I know there in my year)
    I wouldn't go that far. 25% of my year group got into Oxbridge - most of which weren't slackers . (sadly no one for Maths though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ree69)
    I wouldn't go that far. 25% of my year group got into Oxbridge - most of which weren't slackers . (sadly no one for Maths though)
    I think it's more teasing that anything else...I think it comes from the fact that Habs give sports scholarships (and the coaches are way too intense)

ReputationRep:
    At 8pm, on Dave, Dara O'Brien is doing a mathys-comedy-brain teaser type show. I thought i'd just share in case people wanted to watch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaCath94)
    At 8pm, on Dave, Dara O'Brien is doing a mathys-comedy-brain teaser type show. I thought i'd just share in case people wanted to watch!
    Just pressed the info button on my tv - looks cool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicMan)
    I think it's more teasing that anything else...I think it comes from the fact that Habs give sports scholarships (and the coaches are way too intense)
    The scholarships that habs give are around 5% (they give music ones too), they're so pointless. Yeah the sports are pretty intense, but you get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ree69)
    Yeah it does sound pretty cool!
    Its nice to see maths progs on tv too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ree69)
    The scholarships that habs give are around 5% (they give music ones too), they're so pointless. Yeah the sports are pretty intense, but you get used to it.
    I meant intense more as in broken chairs, broken referees etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ree69)
    Did you watch that programme? What did you think to it?

ReputationRep:
    I watched. Pretty goofy really but was better to watch than anything else on so I'm happy

ReputationRep:
    Slightly amusing, but pretty lame - i expected more from dara (and marcus du sautoy!)

ReputationRep:
    was the maths content difficult in the programme? (was it on STEP level or could a GCSE student do the questions?)

I cba to watch it if it's too easy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    I watched. Pretty goofy really but was better to watch than anything else on so I'm happy
    Haha yeah. Just nice to have some form of maths programme to watch!

(Original post by Ree69)
    Slightly amusing, but pretty lame - i expected more from dara (and marcus du sautoy!)
    I know yeah. Like more of how to get the answers... but still good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jilebinator)
    was the maths content difficult in the programme? (was it on STEP level or could a GCSE student do the questions?)

I cba to watch it if it's too easy...
    Ermm it wasnt really school type maths. More brain teasers and such...but there was some use of circles and circumference etc.

ReputationRep:
    Firmed Cambridge for Maths, Insured Warwick for Maths & Physics.

So scary clicking confirm; had to check I'd selected everything properly 100 times.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.