Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anshul95)
    NO they do not do tests at the interview. Instead they have an admissions test. The admissions test usually carries significant weight, but the interview also carries equal weight, whereas in Cambridge I have heard they place more emphasis on the interview and academic background because they don't have an offical "admissions test score" before being interviewed (in a way the STEP papers are "kinda" like Cambridge's admission tests).
    This ..and Cambridge put a lot of weight on AS module scores.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm looking at doing an MMath at uni, but I want to do medicine as well, so am applying with for only two maths. I don't really know where to apply cause I've been thinking so much about where to apply for medicine.
    I got: 3 A*, 5 A, 3 Bs and a C at GCSE.
    I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further maths, Psychology this year, and dropping Psychology.
    In January I took C1, D1, Biol1 and Chem1, got A (100 UMS ;D), A (90 UMS) B B, in that order. I'm resitting the Bs.
    What do you guys suggest with that sort of grades, I'm predicted straight As this year.
    And what preparation stuff can you do?
    Ideas would be great
    Thankss!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TTrynkaWatson)
    Hey,
    I'm looking at doing an MMath at uni, but I want to do medicine as well, so am applying with for only two maths. I don't really know where to apply cause I've been thinking so much about where to apply for medicine.
    I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further maths, Psychology this year, and dropping Psychology.
    In January I took C1, D1, Biol1 and Chem1, got A (100 UMS ;D), A (90 UMS) B B, in that order. I'm resitting the Bs.
    What do you guys suggest with that sort of grades, I'm predicted straight As this year.
    Ideas would be great
    Thankss!
    How on earth are you gonna fit 2 completely different courses into your personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    Hey folks, so how have you all chosen between Oxford and Cambridge, I'm completely stuck with which one to choose. I'm not sure which one out of the two tests suits me, the Maths Aptitude Test as well as STEP seem quite hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1K3)
    Hey folks, so how have you all chosen between Oxford and Cambridge, I'm completely stuck with which one to choose. I'm not sure which one out of the two tests suits me, the Maths Aptitude Test as well as STEP seem quite hard.
    I've chosen Oxford because I prefer that Oxfords criteria for an offer is having done an entrance exam, and the offer of A*A*A is then fairly straightforward to obtain, whereas Cambridge has no entrance exam, STEP is if you like an entrance exam after you get the offer, and the offer is A*AA 1,1 (or higher), much harder to obtain. Many applicants each year fail to fulfill their conditional offer for Cambridge, whereas very few applicants to Oxford miss their offer.

Warwick is the same with regards to their offer, they will give it to most applicants, but of ~700 applicants which firmed Warwick last year, ~200 made the grades. Something to think about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TTrynkaWatson)
    Hey,
    Ideas would be great
    Thankss!
    Maths and Medicine are both extremely competitive (obviously medicine much more so than maths in most cases). They want your Personal Statement dedicated to them, especially medicine. If you mention anything but medicine on your personal statement you will NOT get in. If you don't mention maths at all (usually they want you to have a really great passion for it) you will not get into maths.

I massively doubt it'll ever work. You need to make a decision on what you really want to do, surely you have a subject that you prefer? If you get offers from both, which would you do? I used to want to do medicine, but while I have always loved maths, I have realised I wanted to do medicine for all the wrong reasons, and I should carry on my true passion (which is maths).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1K3)
    I am choosing Cambridge, I prefer the town and the university as a whole. Plus by looking at the course structure and other factors, Cambridge Maths seems to be the better degree/course for me. No offence intended to anyone here but it seems people only apply to Oxford maths either because they much prefer the more city-like environment (not that different though IMO) or because they don't think they're good enough to do STEP.

I understand STEP is extremely difficult, and only around 50% of offer holders complete their application to cambridge, but it is my ambition and I am willing to work hard for it. I know I am a very good mathematician and I think I can do it with a lot of effort.

There is always an insurance option (which I will be picking a non-step uni - assuming everything goes to plan) in case I don't manage to do STEP like I think I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1K3)
    Join the club.
    Well actually it's not a club because I'm like the only person who hasn't decided :s

ReputationRep:
    Would you recommend doing an AS level in Further maths if i were to do say maths and german at uni?? I wont be going to anywhere like oxbridge or warwick, but am looing at places like Lancaster, Leeds, Sheffield...which are still very good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1K3)
    Cambridge is 'regarded' as the best university in the world for mathematics, certainly the best in the UK, so i will apply to Cam. After speaking to Cam undergraduate about STEP, i feel as if its something i can do..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jampolo)
    Cambridge is 'regarded' as the best university in the world for mathematics, certainly the best in the UK, so i will apply to Cam. After speaking to Cam undergraduate about STEP, i feel as if its something i can do..
    I think at undergraduate level there really isn't much to separate them, least of all reputation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    I think at undergraduate level there really isn't much to separate them, least of all reputation
    It would be an honour to go to either, but i also feel i have more chance at Cambrdige, they're more relaxed about GCSE's and give more offers than places.

ReputationRep:
    It would be an honour to go to either, but i also feel i have more chance at Cambrdige, they're more relaxed about GCSE's and give more offers than places.
    These were the reasons I chose Cambridge over Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuzuzu)
    These were the reasons I chose Cambridge over Oxford.
    And congratulations on your offer Hows STEP coming along?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    That slightly influenced my choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    Hopefully i'll be applying to emmanuel too! 3 more.exams then i can concentrate on my application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    Hey was it relatively simple to teach yourself Core 3 and 4? I'm planning on doing so next year. Which textbooks did you use? Thanks.

Also: go Emmanuel (thought I'd start some kind of allegiance fairly early Though I may never get in haha)!

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully i'll be applying to emmanuel too! 3 more.exams then i can concentrate on my application
    What've you got? I've got Physics Unit 2 and F.Maths D2.

Tbh I have partly chosen Cambridge because my GCSEs aren't as amazing as Oxford would like (I think, anyway) and my UMS scores should be excellent (fingers crossed) - providing me with a better chance into Cambridge than Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    What've you got? I've got Physics Unit 2 and F.Maths D2.

Tbh I have partly chosen Cambridge because my GCSEs aren't as amazing as Oxford would like (I think, anyway) and my UMS scores should be excellent (fingers crossed) - providing me with a better chance into Cambridge than Oxford.
    I think both my GCSEs and UMS scores are good and I'll probably be able to STEP so I have no idea which one to go for :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    I think both my GCSEs and UMS scores are good and I'll probably be able to STEP so I have no idea which one to go for :dontknow:
    Hmm - I just don't understand how exactly you can't prefer one over the other. I've always preferred the look and idea of Cambridge. Ever since I first thought of Unis for some reason Cambridge was always a preference, before I knew anything about step or how UMS scores are looked at etc. Some kind of unnatural bias really

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.