Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaCath94)
    Wow!! You are dedicated!!! Ive made a ppt but this spreadsheet is great! So, if the uni doesnt specify further maths is it worth doing an AS in it? Would it make any difference/would they care if i've done it??
    I know you didn't ask me but these are my two cents anyway:
    If you like maths and/or are applying for it at university you should DEFINATELY do it. Why would one do less maths? It would be crazy not to.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    I'm an international student who are taking a-level maths, further maths and chemistry. As I've mentioned, I'm an international student hence I don't have my GCSE result. I'm considering to apply to maths undergraduate degree in 2012. Imperial college, UCL, Warwick(MMORSE), Bistrol and Manchester are those 5 universities that I'm going to apply later. I took C1, C2 and S1 exams in Jan 2011 and got 97 out of 100 in all of them. I'm quite worried that I'm taking 3 subjects and not as competitive as others who are taking 4/5 subjects. Does anyone think that I can get an offer from any of those universities if my predictive grade is A*A*A* but I never join any maths competition? Thanks for reading my bad english and now I'm practising it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a5a09)
    Hello everyone,
    I'm an international student who are taking a-level maths, further maths and chemistry. As I've mentioned, I'm an international student hence I don't have my GCSE result. I'm considering to apply to maths undergraduate degree in 2012. Imperial college, UCL, Warwick(MMORSE), Bistrol and Manchester are those 5 universities that I'm going to apply later. I took C1, C2 and S1 exams in Jan 2011 and got 97 out of 100 in all of them. I'm quite worried that I'm taking 3 subjects and not as competitive as others who are taking 4/5 subjects. Does anyone think that I can get an offer from any of those universities if my predictive grade is A*A*A* but I never join any maths competition? Thanks for reading my bad english and now I'm practising it.
    Most universities require three a-levels to get in anyway, so you won't be at a massive dis-advantage. Most people however have 3 A2's and 1 AS - but if you get those grades, I would be pretty sure you will get in to one of your chosen uni's!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    I know you didn't ask me but these are my two cents anyway:
    If you like maths and/or are applying for it at university you should DEFINATELY do it. Why would one do less maths? It would be crazy not to.
    Haha you seeem v maths dedicated!!!!
    I mean i would love to do more maths of course!! But if it isnt really necessary and I have my other 3 A2 subjects to do it seems a bit like a waste of time :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan_oH)
    Most universities require three a-levels to get in anyway, so you won't be at a massive dis-advantage. Most people however have 3 A2's and 1 AS - but if you get those grades, I would be pretty sure you will get in to one of your chosen uni's!
    I really aiming for going to Imperial College/ UCL as those of them have a really good reputation. Warwick is a good maths university too. I don't really want to get into Manchester... because I heard my friend said that Manchester is not a good university of teaching (I would like to put it as insurance.). Will universities know my UMS by asking those exam boards? I'm quite worried that I may need to resit my chemistry exam because I didn't do really well on it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    I'm also self teaching myself C3/4 this summer This is getting weird now..

Ah I see I'm not going to bother I don't think. I'm just going to do STEP I until I've just about mastered it and go up to 2 nearing the end of this year (assuming I don't get rejected before interview haha).
    Wow it's as if your in my head

I want to get on with STEP as early as possible, but be fully prepared (have done C3/4) but i would like to use AEA as preparation :P im just scared im run out of past papers i seem to when doing AS modules!

ReputationRep:
    Where are the grades taken from in them spreadsheets? Been a while since I looked but I do remember a few of them being higher than that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a5a09)
    I really aiming for going to Imperial College/ UCL as those of them have a really good reputation. Warwick is a good maths university too. I don't really want to get into Manchester... because I heard my friend said that Manchester is not a good university of teaching (I would like to put it as insurance.). Will universities know my UMS by asking those exam boards? I'm quite worried that I may need to resit my chemistry exam because I didn't do really well on it...
    Out of the universities mentioned, I only know of UCL that looks at UMS (usually in the 3 you're taking to A2). I'm not sure about the others (almost certain that imperial and warwick don't look at UMS) but I don't think so. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Where are the grades taken from in them spreadsheets? Been a while since I looked but I do remember a few of them being higher than that!
    As I said, they are the offers for Maths + Further Maths entry. Some unis will say A* if Maths, or AB with Further. But they're all independently researched, taken from the uni website

If you find any mistakes, quote me/PM me and I'll fix it. I use it too so you'd be helping me, if that makes any difference

(Original post by dnumberwang)
    what's conf 2012?
    "Confirmed 2012". In other words, the webpage/prospectus I got it from explicitly said "standard 2012 offer" or the like.

(Original post by AishaTara)
    thank you! this has been very very useful! I'll postive rep this in a minute.
    But, also do you know what Birmingham require?
    Thanks again
    No probs Not off the top of my head; check their site

(Original post by BeccaCath94)
    Wow!! You are dedicated!!! Ive made a ppt but this spreadsheet is great! So, if the uni doesnt specify further maths is it worth doing an AS in it? Would it make any difference/would they care if i've done it??
    No problem I think they'd prefer if you did. As above, why pick less maths over more maths

You'd be showing initiative, showing you love the subject, and it's also just a great asset to have. (It may be overlooked once you have that maths degree, but unis will prefer you if you have it!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xero Xenith)
    As I said, they are the offers for Maths + Further Maths entry. Some unis will say A* if Maths, or AB with Further. But they're all independently researched, taken from the uni website

If you find any mistakes, quote me/PM me and I'll fix it. I use it too so you'd be helping me, if that makes any difference
    Oh, one little thing I saw was that kings have confirmed they are charging 9k a year fees! Lovely!

I remember looking on the ucas form and seeing A*A*A* for ICL, obviously I then clicked off as I have no chance of getting that, so might of missed the extra bits about further maths.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, one little thing I saw was that kings have confirmed they are charging 9k a year fees! Lovely!

I remember looking on the ucas form and seeing A*A*A* for ICL, obviously I then clicked off as I have no chance of getting that, so might of missed the extra bits about further maths.
    Here's what I got my data from:

For Mathematics degrees except GG14 and GG41 (joint Mathematics and Computer Science) the normal minimum entry requirement is A* in A-level Mathematics, A* in Further Mathematics, and A in one other A-level.
    So I suppose some of my data is "minimum requirements" and not "standard offers". Any ideas if there's a difference? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I apologise - i'm wrong! I got all my requirements from the ucas website. Quite easy to search through and its all in one place. Most of what you have found seems to agree with what I can remember too which is always good! Heres the link to where I was wrong (must of dreamt the last '*') :

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...n=1090909#CSRA

ReputationRep:
    Here's what I got my data from:

So I suppose some of my data is "minimum requirements" and not "standard offers". Any ideas if there's a difference? :confused:
    I'm pretty sure minimum requirement is the same as standard offer. It means minimum requirement to meet the offer basically.

ReputationRep:
    No problem I think they'd prefer if you did. As above, why pick less maths over more maths

You'd be showing initiative, showing you love the subject, and it's also just a great asset to have. (It may be overlooked once you have that maths degree, but unis will prefer you if you have it!)
    Ahhh ok yeah i get what you mean. I think i will be doing it if my school allows me to... If I dont get a very good grade for the further maths AS will it hinder my chances or can I exclude it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried that I am not actually good enough to get in these top uni's like everyone on TSR is! What sort of uni's would I be able to get into with like three B's in maths, further maths and physics? Are these uni's still worthwhile?

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried that I am not actually good enough to get in these top uni's like everyone on TSR is! What sort of uni's would I be able to get into with like three B's in maths, further maths and physics? Are these uni's still worthwhile?
    Yes! Just because it's not a "top" university doesn't suddenly make it not worthwhile! If you're getting B in Further, you should be able to achieve an A in normal maths. Then you have many options

ReputationRep:
    Its such a worrying thought though, ending up like getting C's or B's as it seems they just don't cut it! All I want to do is go into teaching though (wouldnt mind banking but I consider teaching as a good option) just have to hope for the best I guess!

ReputationRep:
    Of course thats still good enough!!! Im aiming for ABB and will able to get into places like Lancaster (ranked 7th in 2010) so.....

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest would you still get into a university with like BCC (B in maths) anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest would you still get into a university with like BCC (B in maths) anywhere?
    From a search on UCAS:

University of Central Lancashire - B in maths (with 280 points overall) so BBC or equivalent (must have B+ in maths).

City University - same as above.

University of Glamorgan, Cardiff and Pontypridd - 280 points with minimum C in maths. (weird how they would accept you to do maths at a certain standard (C) but your other subjects have to be done to a better standard (Bs).

University of Greenwich - 200 points (so CDD or equivalent or higher)

Kingston University - same as galmorgan etc.

London Met - same as greenwich.

There should be plenty of others.

I wouldn't set your heart on it though, aim for the best you can - don't think about how bad you can do.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.