Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We did STEP questions at a maths course I went to this week. They kinda made me want to kill myself, but when I got them I felt so good ahah. They are evil though because a lot of them start of nice and simple and then the next second they are just so so hard. I don't know if they are harder for me because I've done Higher maths not AS level, I just hope I'll be more confident with STEP in a years time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    About STEP, what modules would you recommend for someone looking to tackle the applied questions (as I see this is what you are especially good at...)? What modules have you learnt so far to tackle them? For me, it is the opposite: having only done m1/s1, I have not looked ANY applied questions, except an easy mech or a combinatorics questions (where you can just "make up" a method as you go along...). In contrast for the pure qs, I just learnt the techniques/content from a a-level book, then dived into the step qs without much a-level qs practice, and it was not too bad. e.g. for binomial series, you could do all the relevant qs without studying it at all, just from the formula book.

Because of the negligance of the applied qs (and stupid exam pressure/panic), I think I might miss the 1 in STEP I this year....
    1. The reason that almost all my solutions are applied ones is partially because I like them and partially because people have already done the pure ones. However, I think I am probably better at the applied ones.
    2. I am not an authority on anything STEP so you should take what I say with a pinch of salt.
    3. I have only officially done S1 and M1 (+Physics alevel) but I like to read around.
    4. Don't sweat the STEP 1 thing. I recall that a few years back, a guy got a 2 in STEP I in year 12 and put it on his UCAS form (I think it was either Glutamic acid or Around). He is currently doing maths at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    I wanna apply for Cambridge
    5A*'s 4A's 3B's at GCSE
    Doing Maths, Further Maths, Further additional maths, Physics and Chemistry at AS but gonna drop either Chem or physics at A2
    got 94/100 in C1 85/100 in M1 and 97/100 in S1 in January

Also read Flatland, the theoretical 2D world from the perspective of a native square XD its pretty funny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJ0ker)
    I wanna apply for Cambridge
    5A*'s 4A's 3B's at GCSE
    Doing Maths, Further Maths, Further additional maths, Physics and Chemistry at AS but gonna drop either Chem or physics at A2
    got 94/100 in C1 85/100 in M1 and 97/100 in S1 in January

Also read Flatland, the theoretical 2D world from the perspective of a native square XD its pretty funny
    Further additional maths :O Didn't even know that existed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    Further additional maths :O Didn't even know that existed.
    Its strictly reserved for people who like maths an unhealthy amount

haha no its ok, not much different from further maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJ0ker)
    Its strictly reserved for people who like maths an unhealthy amount

haha no its ok, not much different from further maths.
    Oh ok, that must be a lot of maths though! I do Scottish Highers, we just have one Maths subject. Makes things a little easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    Why the drastic change? (Just asking as someone who is yet to decide...)
    u went to some trouble looking for my other post and quoting both...nice drastic change? well it wasnt that drastic....ive been swinging both ox and cam for some time...until I realised TRIPOS is the best maths course...FACT! my cam exp was interesting...although the differance maybe little in the oxford course and cambridge...the TRIPOS is seen more challenging and at a higher level.

btw....i found it wierd how u seem to quote a comment a long time bk.....i dont mind u tracking me....but a bit too much will result in me firing my 9 millie and putting u in the news at 10 just saying....keep the stalking bad boy acting to urself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    u went to some trouble looking for my other post and quoting both...nice drastic change? well it wasnt that drastic....ive been swinging both ox and cam for some time...until I realised TRIPOS is the best maths course...FACT! my cam exp was interesting...although the differance maybe little in the oxford course and cambridge...the TRIPOS is seen more challenging and at a higher level.

btw....i found it wierd how u seem to quote a comment a long time bk.....i dont mind u tracking me....but a bit too much will result in me firing my 9 millie and putting u in the news at 10 just saying....keep the stalking bad boy acting to urself
    Your trolling is starting to bore everyone here. Come up with a new act.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think its possible to intensively prepare for MAT and in turn significantly increase your score ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    Your trolling is starting to bore everyone here. Come up with a new act.
    u call this trolling? this is me just stating facts.

btw stop chatting BULL****. set me your address....i will show you how to troll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths134)
    Do you think its possible to intensively prepare for MAT and in turn significantly increase your score ?
    They try and say that you can't but I would imagine that yes you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths134)
    Any exam can be prepared for. In this case, just do a lot of maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle)
    GCSE: 11 A*
    AS levels: Maths, FM, Physics, Latin, Greek
    Considering: Cambridge, USA
    Prep: I'm not sure if this counts as uni preparation but the maths I am currently doing is every past bmo2 question and some imo. I'm also doing every step i paper (this is now complete) + general reading

ReputationRep:
    Any idea what the best calculator for studying maths at university is???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaCath94)
    Any idea what the best calculator for studying maths at university is???
    For maths modules: none. At least at Warwick I don't use a calculator. It's not allowed in exams anyways.
    For Stats/Business/Economics modules: just the average A Level one eg Casio fx-83/85MS (I hate the ES)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    For maths modules: none. At least at Warwick I don't use a calculator. It's not allowed in exams anyways.
    For Stats/Business/Economics modules: just the average A Level one eg Casio fx-83/85MS (I hate the ES)
    What you never need a calculator for a maths degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan_oH)
    Unlikely. The exams will be non-calculator, like STEP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan_oH)
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    you are bad at life

EDIT: you're not really bad at life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    you are bad at life
    Well... that's nice.
    I thought mathematicians were renowned for their encyclopedic knowledge of social etiquette....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.