Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    you are bad at life

EDIT: you're not really bad at life
    Haha :p:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    Well... that's nice.
    I thought mathematicians were renowned for their encyclopedic knowledge of social etiquette....
    That is certainly a true statement.

ReputationRep:
    Just started putting stuff into my UCAS form last night. Actually starting to get scared now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    Just started putting stuff into my UCAS form last night. Actually starting to get scared now.
    the only thing that worries me is there is nothing more i can do to make my grades look better now. The grades i get in August will decide my choices and predictions. Hmm

ReputationRep:
    I've written a first draft of 47 lines

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    I've written a first draft of 47 lines
    My third (or fourth, I forget ) has 44 lines (though it does have a 2 line thing that needs to be added but not until end of summer) - I just passed it onto my Maths teacher today and hoping to get some feedback on monday/tuesday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    For maths modules: none. At least at Warwick I don't use a calculator. It's not allowed in exams anyways.
    For Stats/Business/Economics modules: just the average A Level one eg Casio fx-83/85MS (I hate the ES)
    :O Oh i seee....thank you anyway
    I'll be soo scared without a calculator!!!!!!!
    But does that mean you dont do tirg or logs etc at uni???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaCath94)
    :O Oh i seee....thank you anyway
    I'll be soo scared without a calculator!!!!!!!
    But does that mean you dont do tirg or logs etc at uni???
    I think it means that, at uni, finding the numerical value of, say, ln2 or arctan(39) is mechanical and does not really get you anything and thus will not be assessed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    I think it means that, at uni, finding the numerical value of, say, ln2 or arctan(39) is mechanical and does not really get you anything and thus will not be assessed.
    Yeah, if you want to do those sorts of calculations, do Economics or Accounting degrees :p:

Although you might need to approximate the value of something like that, although perhaps only to a small accuracy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if you want to do those sorts of calculations, do Economics or Accounting degrees :p:

Although you might need to approximate the value of something like that, although perhaps only to a small accuracy.
    ln 2 = 1 + O(1)

that's good enough for me.

ReputationRep:

Oh ok!!

So what sort of things are done in a maths degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaCath94)
    Oh ok!!

So what sort of things are done in a maths degree?
    Maths.

Have a read of the course descriptors that Warwick currently have: http://www.maths.warwick.ac.uk/pydc/pdfs/
    And also look at some Analysis workbooks that you do in the first term at Warwick: http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~masdbd/analysis/

ReputationRep:
    Maths.

Have a read of the course descriptors that Warwick currently have: http://www.maths.warwick.ac.uk/pydc/pdfs/
    And also look at some Analysis workbooks that you do in the first term at Warwick: http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~masdbd/analysis/
    Haha you do maths?? :P
    Ok thank you

ReputationRep:
    Just looked at the 2012 tables and in 2011 Maths at Sheffiled was 22nd on a subject based league stnadings and now its 57th!!!!!!! :/ :/ Not happy!!!
    Should I still think of applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jampolo)
    the only thing that worries me is there is nothing more i can do to make my grades look better now. The grades i get in August will decide my choices and predictions. Hmm
    I'm just surprised how little there is to fill out really... I thought there was going to be more.

I've been writing down all my achievements and things to get me started on my PS and it's kinda made me realized that I haven't been that successful as I would want to be so far in my life but luckily I have plenty of time to change that =)

Has anybody finished their PS yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    I'm just surprised how little there is to fill out really... I thought there was going to be more.

I've been writing down all my achievements and things to get me started on my PS and it's kinda made me realized that I haven't been that successful as I would want to be so far in my life but luckily I have plenty of time to change that =)

Has anybody finished their PS yet?
    :hi: I've finished my first draft. Most of it has come from my arse though :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    :hi: I've finished my first draft. Most of it has come from my arse though :facepalm2:
    Other than "books", how did you choose to show your interest for maths in your PS? I am finding it hard to "show my passion". IMO it is all waffle to say "___" interests me because "____".

ReputationRep:
    GCSE: 8A* 3A C
    AS Levels: Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Psychology

I want to study Mathematics with Philosophy
    I'm not sure where but I was thinking; Lancaster, Bristol, Bath, UCL, warwick, St Andrews, York

I've read quite a few maths books i'd recomend;
    Chaos by James Gleik
    Cabinet of methmatical curiosities by Ian Stewart
    Does God play dice by Ian Stewart
    Number Mysteries by Marcus Du Sautoy

and philosophical reading i am very thin on the ground i've read Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder any suggestions are appreciated.

Work expereince wise i've done 2 weeks in a primary school, a week in accountancy, 2 months of ICT teaching and i hope to secure work with Google and my local MP and suggestions for other desirable work experience will be lovely

ReputationRep:
    Work experience isn't as necessary for a maths degree compared to some others. As for philosophical reading, it's a bit off topic, but I can recommend 'A History of Western Philosophy' by Bertrand Russell. It's a bit...coloured, but for a generic overview of, yes, western history from the Pre-Socratics to around his era it's pretty comprehensive and entertaining. You can also try reading some old classics (some of which are actually pretty accessible).

As for maths reading, nothing will be as important as actually being good at maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocopops93)

I'm not sure where but I was thinking; Lancaster, Bristol, Bath, UCL, warwick, St Andrews, York

Chaos by James Gleik

and philosophical reading i am very thin on the ground i've read Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder any suggestions are appreciated.

Work expereince wise i've done 2 weeks in a primary school, a week in accountancy, 2 months of ICT teaching and i hope to secure work with Google and my local MP and suggestions for other desirable work experience will be lovely
    Wow!! You sound v v prepared overall!!!
    I havent really done any maths work exeperience other than helping out in a maths class!!! :/
    What're you going to do with google???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocopops93)

Chaos by James Gleik
    I've got that book, it is good =)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.