Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaCath94)
    Wow!! You sound v v prepared overall!!!
    I havent really done any maths work exeperience other than helping out in a maths class!!! :/
    What're you going to do with google???
    I'm not sure if i'll get the work experience yet or what i would be doing but fingers and toes crossed!
    I helped out and tutuored various peers nd i really enhoyed that so i am thinking of eventually becoming a maths teacher

to anyone considering that career i would suggest attending a TDA conference, they are not just for people already in the teaching profession but people thinking about in whilst in uni or even before uni. Really helpful and there were loads of unis there to talk to about my maths degree too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    I've got that book, it is good =)
    I am still reading it at the minute - it's pretty good as a general maths book. I am loving the barcode bits too!

I would suggest Professor Ian Stewarts Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities if you enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    STEP III 1998 Q5 is why I like maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocopops93)
    I'm not sure if i'll get the work experience yet or what i would be doing but fingers and toes crossed!
    I helped out and tutuored various peers nd i really enhoyed that so i am thinking of eventually becoming a maths teacher
    Oh well if you do get it it would be v v cool!!! How did you find out about it?
    Do you think at google theres one person who solely designs the doodles....that'd be me if there was!!!!! :P
    Yeah i enjoy it lots too and have done quite a lot of work experience with children but i dont think i could manage being a teacher!!!! A private tutor maybe....haha

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to do the EPQ and basing it around my degree subject would be advantageous, however I have no idea how to do it based on maths!!!!
    Anyone else either doing it/done it or got any ideas for topics?

ReputationRep:
    Oh well if you do get it it would be v v cool!!! How did you find out about it?
    Do you think at google theres one person who solely designs the doodles....that'd be me if there was!!!!! :P
    Yeah i enjoy it lots too and have done quite a lot of work experience with children but i dont think i could manage being a teacher!!!! A private tutor maybe....haha
    My mum knows someone who knows someone in Google so it's all about trying to cash in on those connections :P hahaa

ReputationRep:
    My mum knows someone who knows someone in Google so it's all about trying to cash in on those connections :P hahaa
    Oh wow!!
    Thats v cool
    Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    I am still reading it at the minute - it's pretty good as a general maths book. I am loving the barcode bits too!

I would suggest Professor Ian Stewarts Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities if you enjoy it
    Oh, I've see that in the book shop. I've still got a few other books to get through, so I better finish them before getting anymore! Thanks for the suggestion though

ReputationRep:
    You guys think its ok to choose NOT to do an EPQ? [Maths related obviously]

I mean I'm reading books and stuff which I'm fine with but just don't want to do an EPQ. I think I could spend my time doing more worthwhile things tbh.

It won't make a big difference will it?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Thrug)
    You guys think its ok to choose NOT to do an EPQ? [Maths related obviously]

I mean I'm reading books and stuff which I'm fine with but just don't want to do an EPQ. I think I could spend my time doing more worthwhile things tbh.

It won't make a big difference will it?
    Its good in the sense that it gives you something to talk about should you have an interview. But as long as you have done things that you can talk about (books etc) then you should be fine with not doing an EPQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    Its good in the sense that it gives you something to talk about should you have an interview. But as long as you have done things that you can talk about (books etc) then you should be fine with not doing an EPQ
    Do you have to have things like that to talk about in the interview? Or do they just ask you maths questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    Do you have to have things like that to talk about in the interview? Or do they just ask you maths questions
    They just asked me maths questions. Do an EPQ for your own edification should you desire to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    They just asked me maths questions. Do an EPQ for your own edification should you desire to.
    That should be the reason we do anything [work related]
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    It was mainly maths questions, but they did ask about my music and my self teaching

ReputationRep:
    Why oh why has my first post on this thread got 4 negs? I don't understand....

ReputationRep:
    I am definately!
    Applying [probably] to Cambridge, Warwick, Bath/Bristol & Manchester.

I've taken Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. (Dropping Chem)

At GCSE 4A*, 5A and *cough* a C.

....am i doin it rite?

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to do the EPQ and basing it around my degree subject would be advantageous, however I have no idea how to do it based on maths!!!!
    Anyone else either doing it/done it or got any ideas for topics?
    I'm planning on doing it, with it being based on something along the lines of Euclid's Elemts/Proof/ Greek mathematics.
    Or something. Not really too sure what the 'question' is going to be.

How long have you known about the EPQ? I literally only heard of it's existence the other day haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    Good

Yeah, I'm too lazy. Recently our school gave us opportunity to do the EPQ but the deadline has gone, and I don't want to do it anyway.

Hopefully they don't ask about the cheese on my PS either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHRed)
    I am definately!
    Applying [probably] to Cambridge, Warwick, Bath/Bristol & Manchester.

I've taken Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. (Dropping Chem)

At GCSE 4A*, 5A and *cough* a C.

....am i doin it rite?
    Careful dropping your 4th subject.. I think it's Warwick who don't like that if you do M + FM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHRed)
    ....am i doin it rite?
    no, you support liverpool

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2013

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.