Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wow!!! You guys all did amazing!!! I thought my results were good!!

I got 260 in Maths AS.... 91 in C1 and S1 and 78 in C2 (might resit C2 but I dont know if theres much point....)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    I did 5 subjects at A2 and it didn't significantly affect anything (although it was a bit annoying how all my friends had massive numbers of free periods when I only had 3 half-hour frees a week).

I did devote less time to my fifth subject though when STEP revision took priority.
    Which A2s did you do? Of course, perhaps your amazing intelligence compensated for the lack of time spent on each subject. For me it would be a risk: walking into A2 results days with an A* in Chem and an A/B in F maths and/or missing STEP grades narrowly leading to no chance at Ox/Cam,etc. would be quite sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    Which A2s did you do? Of course, perhaps your amazing intelligence compensated for the lack of time spent on each subject. For me it would be a risk: walking into A2 results days with an A* in Chem and an A/B in F maths and/or missing STEP grades narrowly leading to no chance at Ox/Cam,etc. would be quite sad.
    I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Latin. I spent more time on Latin than I did for any of my other subjects apart from STEP (mainly revising set text, vocab and grammar).

I wasn't massively intelligent when I did my A-levels (nor am I now, for that matter...) - but there's a lot to be said for using your time properly (there's a lot to be said for paying attention during lessons properly). I think there's a danger to be too overawed and freak out, when if you just put your head down and just take it one step at a time (geddit?) it's not actually that bad. After all, at uni, from week one onwards I did more productive work in a week just on maths than I'd done for 5 subjects, even at A2.

To be honest, if you have offers from good unis for maths there's no reason why you should worry about getting even B's in maths or FM if you do your work properly. You tend to underestimate what you're capable of (I was guilty of doing this).

ReputationRep:
    Well done guys. Let's make this TSR troop the best ever! We have some stiff competition:
    -2009 SimonM, Nuodai et al
    -2008 Zhen Lin, Irrationalnumber...
    -2007 GA, Speleo ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    Well done guys. Let's make this TSR troop the best ever! We have some stiff competition:
    -2007 GA, Speleo ...
    I dont understand.... :/

ReputationRep:
    -2007 GA, Speleo ...
    Definitely! That is some competition... but we can better them for sure.

ReputationRep:
    -2007 GA, Speleo ...
    If GA is Glutamic Acid then that should belong to 2009 :holmes:

-2007 GA, Speleo ...
    My year was woefully inadequate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    If GA is Glutamic Acid then that should belong to 2009 :holmes:
    Nah, general arbitriety (or something )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    My year was woefully inadequate.
    I doubt it. The reason I didn't include '10 was because I don't really know of anybody who did maths that year.

I doubt it. The reason I didn't include '10 was because I don't really know of anybody who did maths that year.
    Unbounded, basically.

ReputationRep:
    I got

C1 100/100
    C2 98/100
    C3 100/100
    M1 100/100
    S1 96/100
    D1 94/100

Chemistry 248/300
    Physics 276/300

ReputationRep:
    For some reason I hadn't even considered courses with a year abroad until now, but I've decided that's what I'll apply to Imperial and Bristol for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    For some reason I hadn't even considered courses with a year abroad until now, but I've decided that's what I'll apply to Imperial and Bristol for
    Which countries/ unis do the courses have links with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    Which countries/ unis do the courses have links with?
    Warwick's Erasmus programme is here

You can either do the MMath and your 3rd year abroad counts, or do an ICY and the 3rd year counts for nothing and you get a BSc after your 4th year.

ReputationRep:
    some crazy UMS in this thread

ReputationRep:
    I'd always considered either maths with a year in europe or maths with a minor in german but after getting my AS results I think the former is now more likely!! Would I be able to apply to 'both types' in my UCAS application?

What kind of things are studied in years 1,2,4 to do with the chosen country or is there nothing other than year 3 when you go there for a year?

ReputationRep:
    A question for all you A-levelers (congratulations, by the way):
    The Oxford MAT is based on "C1 and C2". While I have a rough idea what that covers, I'd really appreciate some online way to revise these modules so that I know exactly what's in them and don't waste time revising things that aren't. Do any of you know a good online resource for them? Thanks!

Snap! That means we have three choices in common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anyone_can_fly)
    A question for all you A-levelers (congratulations, by the way):
    The Oxford MAT is based on "C1 and C2". While I have a rough idea what that covers, I'd really appreciate some online way to revise these modules so that I know exactly what's in them and don't waste time revising things that aren't. Do any of you know a good online resource for them? Thanks!

Snap! That means we have three choices in common.
    I think the key is that you understand and are comfortable with the maths in those modules rather than being able to reel off loads of formulae so that you are able to apply the concepts to unfamiliar situations. For example, how would you go about finding:
    \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^nir^i?
    There are two ways which use C2 knowledge. As it goes, I have used this alot in STEP probability questions.

On a separate note:
    Do people know the difference a BA and a Bsc. Leicester offers both http://www.le.ac.uk/ugprospectus/cou...thematics.html
    Also, spending a year in the USA is looking tempting.

ReputationRep:
    I think the key is that you understand and are comfortable with the maths in those modules rather than being able to reel off loads of formulae so that you are able to apply the concepts to unfamiliar situations. For example, how would you go about finding:
    \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^nir^i?
    There are two ways which use C2 knowledge. As it goes, I have used this alot in STEP probability questions.

On a separate note:
    Do people know the difference a BA and a Bsc. Leicester offers both http://www.le.ac.uk/ugprospectus/cou...thematics.html
    Also, spending a year in the USA is looking tempting.
    Nice question, where did you find it?
    Spoiler:
    Show
     \frac{ 1}{1-r}( \frac{ r(1-{r}^{n} )}{1-r}-n {r}^{n+1}  ) , using double summations of G.P.s which varied in length in an A.P. Is the result correct? And what's the other way?

Regarding USA, know of any other exchange programs around? I think Cambridge does one with MIT, but that's all I know...

EDIT: Have seen the other way now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.