Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    Woo sweeeeet! I hope that's true as I'm hoping t hey'll make a nice insurance option behind cambridge (again hoping I get an offer from them haha).
    I'd advise against a London insurance uni, personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuzuzu)
    I'd advise against a London insurance uni, personally.
    Why's that?

ReputationRep:
    It's great to hear more people changing their minds and going for maths! I'm sure you could do it if you're passionate (and talented!). Wish you the best of luck!
    Thanks just praying that my circumstances (i.e. lack of AS maths results) don't disadvantage my application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scherzi)
    Thanks just praying that my circumstances (i.e. lack of AS maths results) don't disadvantage my application.
    There are many private schools who don't put the results on, and a fair few who do all their exams in june of Year 13 so they will be in the same position. As long as your reference explains the situation. It'll probably show a great passion to actually go back to school/college to study maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    Expect UCL to make you an offer for sure if your Maths UMS is 94%+
    Mine is 91%, any good?

ReputationRep:
    Post-A2 applicant here, except... I haven't done maths at school since GCSE (I've changed my mind about what to study at uni). Doing maths + further maths (i.e. 12 modules) this year. Let's see how this goes :awesome: Probably a long shot, but anyone in a similar position?
    :O WOW!!! Good luck with that!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, what did you do at a-level and what were you planning to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicMan)
    I have written my PS but I haven't finished my UCAS

I have no work experience at all. It is "irrelevant" for Maths according some admissions people.
    I have some minor stuff, like working a an financial firm for a few weeks, and working in a retail shop on boxig day (lol). But just mentioned significant ECs/ work experience or events in my PS all in a paragraph tbh.

Will ask school about this when we open. I know work experience is irrelevant for maths, but just wondering why this section is in UCAS at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicMan)
    Just out of curiosity, what did you do at a-level and what were you planning to do?
    I applied for medicine last year, realised my heart wasn't in it a bit later on. I'll PM you which subjects I did, since I want to retain a shred of anonymity

There are many private schools who don't put the results on, and a fair few who do all their exams in june of Year 13 so they will be in the same position. As long as your reference explains the situation. It'll probably show a great passion to actually go back to school/college to study maths!
    (Original post by BeccaCath94)
    :O WOW!!! Good luck with that!!!!
    Thanks for the reassurance hassi I remember your thread about medicine/maths, nice to see we both decided on maths

ReputationRep:
    what do people think my chances of getting into cambridge are with these?

GCSE: A in Maths, B in Statistics, BB in Science and BCCDDD (I went through quite a trauma during my GCSE's wont go into detail, definitely affected my grades though)
    AS: Maths A Further Maths A Physics D (I have pragmatic language impairment so i got U in physics practical, otherwise high C for theory, Cambridge said if I apply through special access scheme they would make allowances for practical mark) My 4th A-Level is History which I am doing both AS/A2 in 2011-2012 academic year. (I originally took AS Chemistry but dropped the subject because I could not cope with the practical work, same situation as Physics but worse) They decided to let me take AS and A2 history in 2011-2012 year instead.

I have taken Core 3 (99%) and Core 4 (100%) a year early and have already met requirements for an A* with M2 to go (Still have to take it though)

Not got my predicted grades from teachers yet but personally I am expecting to get at A2: A* in Maths and Further Maths, A in History and B in Physics (ill retake one module and try extra hard for Physics) which meets the entry requirements.

I have learnt lots around the subject and gained 95%+ in Core 1-4 and M1 learning independently from a textbook with no lessons devoted to these modules.
    I've learnt some undergraduate level maths e.g. multiple integrals and partial derivatives which I can bring up at interview. I can answer many STEP questions already and if i took it now i think i would probably get a grade 2. (need grade 1) got 79 in stats 1 which is a bummer I've had a disruptive education and been to 4 different schools (They take this into account)

I'm currently thinking of applying to Queen's College

Any opinions or advice would be great, I hope they weigh out the pros and the cons properly in my case as there is a lot of them. And thanks anyone whos read this its really long.

ReputationRep:
    Fairly sure I'm applying to Cambridge, Warwick and Durham but need two more choices. Anyone know much about St Andrews/Edinburgh/Newcastle/York?

ReputationRep:
    I applied for medicine last year, realised my heart wasn't in it a bit later on. I'll PM you which subjects I did, since I want to retain a shred of anonymity

Thanks for the reassurance hassi I remember your thread about medicine/maths, nice to see we both decided on maths
    Aha really I almost completely forgot about that thread! It is, it is.

ReputationRep:
    Expect UCL to make you an offer for sure if your Maths UMS is 94%+
    Durham is similarly whorish when it comes to UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sqwerty)
    Fairly sure I'm applying to Cambridge, Warwick and Durham but need two more choices. Anyone know much about St Andrews/Edinburgh/Newcastle/York?
    I'm thinking about St.Andrews Vs Edinburgh, not sure which right now. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schnecke)
    They never even bothered to ask me for my UMS, don't know why :confused:

Spoiler:
    Show
    ...or I suppose my application was exceptionally awful! :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I know. I averaged 91 for my AS but flopped C3 and it dropped to 85 for my A2 so it's basically a no go. I'm kind of annoyed, I know I could have got higher than 90 for my AS Further Maths. -_-

ReputationRep:
    I was actually quite tempted to sub Durham in for Bath - this makes me more tempted. Hmmm should take another look at the prospectus.

ReputationRep:
    I was actually quite tempted to sub Durham in for Bath - this makes me more tempted. Hmmm should take another look at the prospectus.
    Isn't Bath better for maths though? I think you should stick with Bath, for the sake of a top department.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't Bath better for maths though? I think you should stick with Bath, for the sake of a top department.
    Yeah, I do prefer Bath's course and department. But durham might make an easier insurance in case UCL reject me

We'll see, I'll probably stick with Bath

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I do prefer Bath's course and department. But durham might make an easier insurance in case UCL reject me

We'll see, I'll probably stick with Bath
    I definitely don't think UCL will reject you, and hmm I suppose if you are going to firm Warwick or Cambz (too much time talking to Rahul) then Durham might be the best backup. Tbh I don't think you'll need your 5th to come into play looking at your grades.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2013

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.