Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Thought I'd better join this thread.

Standard grades/Int 2s: 5 1s, 3 As (inc Higher maths)
    Highers: Maths (AH), Physics, History, French, Music
    Sixth Year Choices: AH Stats, French and Physics
    Considering: Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Bristol, St. Andrews? But I'll probably apply somewhere not too competitive instead of one of the London ones, to make sure I don't get five rejections.
    Preparation: Reading mathsy books, mainly. I'll get on to Oxford MAT practice after my May exams, and I also read geeky comics like this, but I'm not sure that counts.

(Original post by laughylolly)
    P.s. Is there any other girls on this thread applying for Maths, or is it all guys at the moment?
    Hello! We're also both Scottish (or live in Scotland), and both potential Oxford applicants. At Oxford and Imperial (the only places I've looked it up), the male:female ratio was almost exactly 2:1. But it's not that serious I suppose, and it's better than construction or something!

ReputationRep:
    The offer stats for cambridge are like 35% but thats just cruel because only 54% make it (of people given offers) :eek:
    And also the natural ability thing... I think maths to a certain level can be memorised through pure hard work and grit, but after that you need a natural flare/ability to succeed and grasps concepts. I fear the day maths confuses me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anyone_can_fly)
    Hey! Thought I'd better join this thread.

Standard grades/Int 2s: 5 1s, 3 As (inc Higher maths)
    Highers: Maths (AH), Physics, History, French, Music
    Sixth Year Choices: AH Stats, French and Physics
    Considering: Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Bristol, St. Andrews? But I'll probably apply somewhere not too competitive instead of one of the London ones, to make sure I don't get five rejections.
    Preparation: Reading mathsy books, mainly. I'll get on to Oxford MAT practice after my May exams, and I also read geeky comics like this, but I'm not sure that counts.

Hello! We're also both Scottish (or live in Scotland), and both potential Oxford applicants. At Oxford and Imperial (the only places I've looked it up), the male:female ratio was almost exactly 2:1. But it's not that serious I suppose, and it's better than construction or something!
    Yay! Another Scottish applicant
    You're taking AH Maths this year? Wow!

Why the neg rep? "/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    2 Questions:

Why have STEP teachers when it's all on the regular syllabus?

And if you do have STEP teachers, why so early when you have over a year until you need to take the exam (if you'll be needing to take it at all that is)?
    I don't really know. But it's nice to have someone that can push you in the right direction if you're really drawing a blank.
    And, because it's mainly for the year 13s that are sitting it, us year 12 just tag along for now, to get used to step.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovedubstep)
    No further maths?
    yeah school didnt offer it to my year not enough teachers but they may this year so not sure what to doo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom1993)
    I don't really know. But it's nice to have someone that can push you in the right direction if you're really drawing a blank.
    And, because it's mainly for the year 13s that are sitting it, us year 12 just tag along for now, to get used to step.
    Right okay makes sense. I've been looking at it and it's very hard for me but I'm thinking it's because I haven't been taught most of the notation or techniques. I've only learnt FP1, C1, C2 and S1 that are of any use. D1 and D2 are obviously useless.

I got 100% in C1 though and 93% in D1 (like the worst module ever - so boring). I should hope for 100% in FP1 and C2 at least and get as high as I can on S1/D2.

But I've never felt anything in maths to be not doable, this STEP really seems it and I don't know if I'll be able to. I really want to get into Cambridge for Maths and this is the first time I've felt like I'm not good enough. Is this normal? :/

ReputationRep:
    A while ago I was asking around whether it be okay to apply for Maths with Economics and Maths. What I got back was that if you put anything else but maths in your PS for somewhere like Oxford that they will see it as you haven't made your mind up and aren't committed 100% to maths (unless you blend the Economics part in very very well). So I don't really want to run the risk of sacrifcing my application for say Oxford when the competition at LSE is just as high or higher and I might not even get a place there at the end of it all. But I guess if you REALLY wanted to go to LSE then of course go for it.
    That's not what I have heard I'm afraid, I know people in my school and have even seen people on TSR with offers from Oxbridge and LSE who said that depending on how you phrase your PS, it would have negligible or no consequences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reminisce)
    That's not what I have heard I'm afraid, I know people in my school and have even seen people on TSR with offers from Oxbridge and LSE who said that depending on how you phrase your PS, it would have negligible or no consequences.
    Oh okay. Well I was just told to be careful so

ReputationRep:
    How are you guys deciding between Ox and Cam?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't yet, but cambridge has saturday morning lectures, you have to take STEP (rather than the oxford test which is pretty easy tbh), and it's a smaller town, but it has the better reputation for mathemagics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    I haven't yet, but cambridge has saturday morning lectures, you have to take STEP (rather than the oxford test which is pretty easy tbh), and it's a smaller town, but it has the better reputation for mathemagics
    But Oxford choose who gets interviewed moreso on GCSEs than Cambridge do because they don't see what UMS grades people get. That's the main downside I think. Also they interview far less, so if you are a talented mathematician but not great at exams you are less likely to get in.

ReputationRep:
    Neither, I'm not clever enough however I would pick cambridge if i had a couple more A*'s at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. For me it was kind of a gut instinct. They are both amazing universities, I have friends/family that have gone to both. It's debatable one is better than the other for Maths but when it comes down to it, being accepted to either is amazing.

Though I'm not 100% yet if I'm going to apply to either.

Typo? Have you ever played Mathemagics though? It's this app for apple devices. I have it on my mac, it's pretty good for improving your mental maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    Right okay makes sense. I've been looking at it and it's very hard for me but I'm thinking it's because I haven't been taught most of the notation or techniques. I've only learnt FP1, C1, C2 and S1 that are of any use. D1 and D2 are obviously useless.

I got 100% in C1 though and 93% in D1 (like the worst module ever - so boring). I should hope for 100% in FP1 and C2 at least and get as high as I can on S1/D2.

But I've never felt anything in maths to be not doable, this STEP really seems it and I don't know if I'll be able to. I really want to get into Cambridge for Maths and this is the first time I've felt like I'm not good enough. Is this normal? :/
    Yes, it's normal I feel exactly the same!
    Also, d1, eurgh. I hated it so...
    Is d2 any better? Are you on edexcel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths134)
    The offer stats for cambridge are like 35% but thats just cruel because only 54% make it (of people given offers) :eek:
    One of the reasons I'm planning to apply for Oxford instead! I'd rather be rejected from Oxford than get a Cambridge offer and then miss it.

Yay! Another Scottish applicant
    You're taking AH Maths this year? Wow!

Why the neg rep? "/
    I tried to find a "Yay! Scotland!" smiley, but there doesn't seem to be one. So I'll have to make do with this: :woo:

It's not that scary, just like higher, but... trickier and with more stuff to memorise. It looks like there are lots of people cleverer than me on this thread - everyone seems to be aiming for 100% in all their exams! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Typo? Have you ever played Mathemagics though? It's this app for apple devices. I have it on my mac, it's pretty good for improving your mental maths.
    Not a typo
    Ew macs. If I had a pound for every time someone mentioned a mac, I could go out a buy a real computer
    Anyway sometimes I do actually mess around with this application I have on my ipod which plots graphs of functions That's rather sad but oh well.

But Oxford choose who gets interviewed moreso on GCSEs than Cambridge do because they don't see what UMS grades people get. That's the main downside I think. Also they interview far less, so if you are a talented mathematician but not great at exams you are less likely to get in.
    I don't think I'd have an advantage with either tbh. Maybe Cambridge, since my UMS scores are pretty good

ReputationRep:
    Not a typo
    Ew macs. If I had a pound for every time someone mentioned a mac, I could go out a buy a real computer
    Anyway sometimes I do actually mess around with this application I have on my ipod which plots graphs of functions That's rather sad but oh well.

I don't think I'd have an advantage with either tbh. Maybe Cambridge, since my UMS scores are pretty good
    This is funnier than the guy who said he reads maths comic strips.

ReputationRep:
    I know people who choose Oxford to avoid STEP for Cambridge and I sort of see their point, you get an offer from Cambridge (which would probably be the best day of your current life) but only to miss the STEP offer. That would be the most horrible feeling ever. Of course most people have to do STEP anyway for their insurance most likely but the main thing to them would be that their firm (Oxford) does not require STEP so they can focus on A Levels which is quite obviously easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle)
    This is funnier than the guy who said he reads maths comic strips.
    It's easier than.... reading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom1993)
    Yes, it's normal I feel exactly the same!
    Also, d1, eurgh. I hated it so...
    Is d2 any better? Are you on edexcel?
    Okay thanks.

I'm on AQA, but tbh it's not much better. It's an A2 module so it's slightly harder (more steps to memorise but on fewer algorithms) but you have to think about it a little more than D1 so I'd say it's a little better. Still nothing compared to real maths :P

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.