Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anyone_can_fly)

Not quite: a lot of people don't firm the offer, so there are 470 Home/EU firmers and then 240/250 Home/EU freshers. Still pretty scary though.
    Oh yeah, forgot about that , good to know i have an offer from warwick, kinda, already

ReputationRep:
    Going to Warwick has actually made my decision harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    Going to Warwick has actually made my decision harder
    What decision?

I'm going to apply to Warwick mainly for their high offer rate, and as I already have a 1 in STEP I . Will "only" need A*AA (I think!). My STEP grade has made the Ox/Cam decision almost impossible now. I am thinking of applying for Ox, but can't help feeling my UMS marks and STEP will be much more favoured at Cam. Also, I enjoy STEP, II certainly looks "doable" (whether under 3 hrs we'll see...); don't know enough about III yet.

Think I will stick to Ox, even though my "chances" are lower. Not getting an offer will be totally crushing. Any thoughts Ben/ anyone? Anyone else in similar postions?

ReputationRep:
    Applying to Warwick with A*A*BB at A-Levels (resitting FM, got a B in it!); i'm HOPING they still give out their lovely transparent step offer to resit candidates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cura)
    I live on the thames My tutors were all shocked when I told them I was going Greenwich, even my family friend who works in Cambridge was shocked that I rejected the offer.
    Troll.

180 posts in total and four red gems.

+you don't even know how the new fee system works if you are trying to save to pay it off. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    What decision?

I'm going to apply to Warwick mainly for their high offer rate, and as I already have a 1 in STEP I . Will "only" need A*AA (I think!). My STEP grade has made the Ox/Cam decision almost impossible now. I am thinking of applying for Ox, but can't help feeling my UMS marks and STEP will be much more favoured at Cam. Also, I enjoy STEP, II certainly looks "doable" (whether under 3 hrs we'll see...); don't know enough about III yet.

Think I will stick to Ox, even though my "chances" are lower. Not getting an offer will be totally crushing. Any thoughts Ben/ anyone? Anyone else in similar postions?
    Decision as to whether to apply to Warwick or not. Love the course but the campus/accommodation just left me cold.

From previous conversations, I got the impression that you preferred Oxford so I'd say stick with it. Given your STEP grade, I would have thought the MAT would be doable...
    Do you have a preference with regard to the cities? I live in Oxford and can recommend it but I really liked Cambridge:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlos the third)
    Did you go to the maths talk with someone called Geoff? He was brilliant!

I have to say though, I was annoyed to find out that they only offer you one of A*AA/ A*AB 2 or merit, i had always assumed that you would get both for some reason
    Yes. He was indeed brilliant! Straight to the point - just how I like it

ReputationRep:
    Decision as to whether to apply to Warwick or not. Love the course but the campus/accommodation just left me cold.
    Wow, I thought the Campus was brilliant, and the maths building was just , but the rest of it wasn't that great. I did like the accommodation though. And there's so much in the course! Are you allowed to take as many modules as your timetable allows if you like alot of them? I'd want to do all number theory and such.

ReputationRep:

From previous conversations, I got the impression that you preferred Oxford so I'd say stick with it. Given your STEP grade, I would have thought the MAT would be doable...
    Do you have a preference with regard to the cities? I live in Oxford and can recommend it but I really liked Cambridge:confused:
    I "prefer" Oxford due to some personal reasons (the cities don't bother me tbh, they are more similar than different), but knowing I have a good shot at STEP makes me worried about not applying to Cam. Also, my timing on the MAT can be quite tight sometimes, even though most of the Qs are not too bad. I will stick to Ox I think. Fingers crossed for 2nd Nov.

Regarding Warwick, I guess Imperial has a similar course in terms of reputation, but in London? (Don't think you need to worry too much Warwick, as you will most likely be going to Cam).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    I "prefer" Oxford due to some personal reasons (the cities don't bother me tbh, they are more similar than different), but knowing I have a good shot at STEP makes me worried about not applying to Cam. Also, my timing on the MAT can be quite tight sometimes, even though most of the Qs are not too bad. I will stick to Ox I think. Fingers crossed for 2nd Nov.

Regarding Warwick, I guess Imperial has a similar course in terms of reputation, but in London? (Don't think you need to worry too much Warwick, as you will most likely be going to Cam).
    too much hype?

ReputationRep:
    My head of sixth gave me the option to drop Chemistry on Friday meaning I'd be doing Maths, F Maths and Physics to A2 - honestly I hate Chem and I emailed Cambridge, Warwick and Bath, Cambridge giving the most helpful reply saying that it'd give me more time to do more Maths and focus on STEP, so it seems ok.

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    Btw sorry for the lack of spelling correctly - I'm typing from my phone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gamma)
    My head of sixth gave me the option to drop Chemistry on Friday meaning I'd be doing Maths, F Maths and Physics to A2 - honestly I hate Chem and I emailed Cambridge, Warwick and Bath, Cambridge giving the most helpful reply saying that it'd give me more time to do more Maths and focus on STEP, so it seems ok.

What do you guys think?
    So long as you still have enough A-levels to make the standard offers then it should be fine! If you use the extra time well then it could prove really useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gamma)

What do you guys think?
    I'm in EXACTLY the same position as you, I dropped it because frankly I just very much disliked it. I am also applying to those 3 unis along with UCL and LSE. I wouldn't worry; the way I see it I really hated chemistry and I didn't want to carry on (I got an A in AS but with no joy). If a university thinks I'm less capable of doing a maths degree due to that reason then frankly I don't want to be there. Most have told me they don't really mind; especially since with maths they much more care about your ability to do maths and not so much your breadth. I showed my breadth at AS-level with Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics (and General Studies I guess ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    I'm in EXACTLY the same position as you, I dropped it because frankly I just very much disliked it. I am also applying to those 3 unis along with UCL and LSE. I wouldn't worry; the way I see it I really hated chemistry and I didn't want to carry on (I got an A in AS but with no joy). If a university thinks I'm less capable of doing a maths degree due to that reason then frankly I don't want to be there. Most have told me they don't really mind; especially since with maths they much more care about your ability to do maths and not so much your breadth. I showed my breadth at AS-level with Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics (and General Studies I guess ).
    Yeah I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Music and Chemistry last year (I did general studies too but I don't really think it constitutes an A level even though it is).

I have enquired about this move with all my University choices and they've given the nod so I don't see the problem; some people may say my choices are restrictive but I have always wanted to study either Physics or Mathematics at University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gamma)
    Yeah I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Music and Chemistry last year (I did general studies too but I don't really think it constitutes an A level even though it is).

I have enquired about this move with all my University choices and they've given the nod so I don't see the problem; some people may say my choices are restrictive but I have always wanted to study either Physics or Mathematics at University.
    Yeah. My chemistry teacher had a go at me saying I should take it to show breadth and that my A-levels are too focused. I said 'my a-levels are focused because I am' - I know what I want to do so why would I do something I dislike just in case I want to do something different?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat as you guys with the not liking chemistry bit. Unfortunately, through sheer inertia, I am still doing it at A2. How did this happen...?

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is good!

It's better than physics imo, even though it is stupidly soft

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    Chemistry is good!

It's better than physics imo, even though it is stupidly soft
    What?! Chemistry is just watered down physics.

ReputationRep:
    What?! Chemistry is just watered down physics.
    True, it is ridiculously soft but I still prefer it to physics

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2013

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.