Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    Like literally as long as my head of sixth can remember (he's been there like 10 years lmao) there's never been anyone who's applied to somewhere requiring STEP It scares me a lot. Although I guess it makes me stand out in my reference!

Yeah in the end it might be a bit harder for me to pick up but if my ability is there then I should be able to do it.
    Just work hard and do past papers. Eventually you should be able to spot their little tricks

I'm self-teaching STEP I, but since you are applying for cambridge you'll need all three.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    The hardest part I find with STEP is concluding my solutions.

ReputationRep:
    I was just looking at a maths and german course for leeds uni and it said this:

"We may request a piece of written work or invite candidates to a selection interview".... :O

How do you have written work for this????

ReputationRep:
    Staying on the topic of maths at leeds uni...is it more mechanics based?? :s

ReputationRep:
    Do most people really consider Lancaster a top 10? :/ They only ask for AAB in maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    Do most people really consider Lancaster a top 10? :/ They only ask for AAB in maths!
    Well it is on the league tables!! And its in the Russell group..... I'm just worried the good reputation + low grades = high competition... My course at Lancaster is ABB....

ReputationRep:
    I dunno but it looks like a service station

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaCath94)

"We may request a piece of written work or invite candidates to a selection interview".... :O

I would guess the written work would be for the german part of the course, it's remarkably easy to get through the A level without being able to write a coherent sentence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaCath94)

You won't have to bring in written work for the maths part

ReputationRep:
    how is everyone's STEP prep going?

I can answer two questions within 1.5 hours on one paper with probably about 35 marks in total (2001 paper, (S/1/2/3 --> 85/66/50/41), so I have a lot of time to squeeze out extra marks for a grade 2.

Whereas on the 2002 paper (one of the hardest) I could barely answer any! (S/1/2/3 ---> 80/61/48/35). :s

But hey ho, I still have another 7 or so months

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by House Dagoth)

I can answer two questions within 1.5 hours on one paper with probably about 35 marks in total (2001 paper, (S/1/2/3 --> 85/66/50/41), so I have a lot of time to squeeze out extra marks for a grade 2.

Whereas on the 2002 paper (one of the hardest) I could barely answer any! (S/1/2/3 ---> 80/61/48/35). :s

7 months? It's almost 9, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by House Dagoth)

I bet anyone looking at my choices would think I'm trying to avoid STEP :lol:

I might bash some STEP when I've finished M2 actually

ReputationRep:
    probably should move onto STEP now lol... im still on BMO questions =p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anyone_can_fly)
    7 months? It's almost 9, isn't it?
    my bad :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths134)
    probably should move onto STEP now lol... im still on BMO questions =p
    If you can do BMO shouldn't you be able to do STEP- it is much easier

ReputationRep:
    Is BMO good prep for STEP? I haven't even started STEP prep yet.

ReputationRep:
    I assume all types of maths are good step prac, especially the non-structured and proof-needing BMO questions (which if you think about it is what step really is- less structured A-level qs that need slightly more rigour)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicMan)
    I assume all types of maths are good step prac, especially the non-structured and proof-needing BMO questions (which if you think about it is what step really is- less structured A-level qs that need slightly more rigour)
    Can you enlighten me please, so UKMT is first right? Then BMO1 then BMO2 theN IMO?

ReputationRep:
    Try all the STEP past year questions and you shall be fine. BMO might not be a good preparation for STEP considering the styles of questions are different between both, as well as their topics covered.

ReputationRep:
    Can you enlighten me please, so UKMT is first right? Then BMO1 then BMO2 theN IMO?
    SMC>>>BMO1>>>BMO2>>>selection tests>>>IMO

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.