Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicMan)
    Everyone in my school has always adopted the 'pure-only' strategy and it seems to work: we had 10 1s and Ss out of 10 last year
    you had 10 people do STEP !!! we had one person do STEP last yr... he got a 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safmaster)
    Well done! Which questions did you do?
    2, 5 and 10 (also did 1 before: but my method was very wordy). Bascially any pure qs I understand at the moment, and any number theory

ReputationRep:
    Everyone in my school has always adopted the 'pure-only' strategy and it seems to work: we had 10 1s and Ss out of 10 last year
    All ten of them achieved grades I or S? Wow.

ReputationRep:
    STEP makes my A-levels look really easy =/, i have C3/C4 S2 and physics in january and I really don't care right now lol. Oh and im finding some BMO questions harder than STEP, anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths134)
    STEP makes my A-levels look really easy =/, i have C3/C4 S2 and physics in january and I really don't care right now lol. Oh and im finding some BMO questions harder than STEP, anyone else?
    LOL, wut? Have you finished STEP Qs already?! I would have thought that there is more than enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    LOL, wut? Have you finished STEP Qs already?! I would have thought that there is more than enough.
    I don't think they have...I highly doubt anyone has done every STEP question.

ReputationRep:
    lol no!! im just doing each STEP/BMO question from each year. So STEP paper, then BMO etc.. that way I get both types of maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Femto)
    All ten of them achieved grades I or S? Wow.
    It was 5 people----> ten papers

ReputationRep:
    lol no!! im just doing each STEP/BMO question from each year. So STEP paper, then BMO etc.. that way I get both types of maths
    Oh right, good idea! Only 1 other student in my sixth form (3000+ students) sitting STEP. *_*

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, good idea! Only 1 other student in my sixth form (3000+ students) sitting STEP. *_*
    I'm the only one =[. Last yr we had one (got a 3 in STEP 1). Year before no one, year before we had a fail. My school has a great history... lol

ReputationRep:
    England :rolleyes: I guess I'm supporting New Zealand now as they deserve it
    lol....i dont want johnson to get sacked

ReputationRep:
    My view is that BMO and STEP are completely different. And usually you are either very good at BMO, or not. My teacher hates any sort olympiad questions, but she is probably the best teacher. There is a girl in my class who got a B in A level maths, but smashes senior challege, where as I cant stand it and I got 590/600 in my A level maths, and I love STEP! so its all relative

ReputationRep:
    I thought I would just say that if anybody is considering studying maths at King's College London then do feel free to pm me and I'll give you some information regarding what maths is like here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamsFanNo1)
    I thought I would just say that if anybody is considdering studying maths at King's College London then do feel free to pm me and I'll give you some information regarding what maths is like here.
    how is it? I decided to replace Kings with LSE....lets see if you can switch my decision

ReputationRep:
    I'm the only one =[. Last yr we had one (got a 3 in STEP 1). Year before no one, year before we had a fail. My school has a great history... lol
    There's only one person that has sat it from my sixth form but he achieved a grade 1 in STEP I and a grade 3 in STEP II. I'm the taking it this year along with another fellow mathematician. We're quite scared though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    In my humble opinion:
    Pure- The questions are very "nice", especially if you like geometry (which I do). They are a tad easy though. 3 is unbelievably easy, 4 is beautiful but not too taxing, eight is a lovely question. I'd say that this paper is notably different to others in that the questions lead you through the problem quite overtly.
    You have done very well to do all of them though.

Mechanics- Bleugh. No other word for it IMO. Long, wordy, fiddly and not at all memorable. I probably wouldn't touch any unless I was desperate which is not at all like me.

Stats- Fairly standard. Not easy, not extremely difficult either. Relatively concise though which is good.
    I totally agree with your evaluations on all 3 parts of maths....core/pure = stats = ok most of the time...mechanics =

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    how is it? I decided to replace Kings with LSE....lets see if you can switch my decision
    Apparently LSE maths course is **** bro, if you want to go into something like research etc. it's sick for a job though. If that's what you're after.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently LSE maths course is **** bro, if you want to go into something like research etc. it's sick for a job though. If that's what you're after.
    i picked it for job prospect

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the area of research (e.g. i think its good for econometrics, game thoery, etc.).

ReputationRep:
    UCAS sent. Exciting times indeed!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2013

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.