Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edwin Okli)
    That really is scary. But.. looking at your grades (and extrapolating your mathematical aptitude) I'd say you probably won't even have to bother with any universities but Cambridge.
    That would be naive.

I know quite a few others with comparable UMS that did not manage 1,1 in STEP. Not that I'm trying to scare any of you, best of luck. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldfish134)
    Finally got an acknowledgement from Bristol today
    Snap!

"In order to help the process run as smoothly as possible, we have created for you your very own VIP page which will keep you updated on key dates and events and provide links to information related to your own personal interests and preferences."

what the hell is this!

ReputationRep:
    Application sent today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    That would be naive.

I know quite a few others with comparable UMS that did not manage 1,1 in STEP. Not that I'm trying to scare any of you, best of luck. :p:
    Heh, I'm not saying that she shouldn't apply anywhere else. Damn that STEP, is there any exam more demanding than it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    Snap!

"In order to help the process run as smoothly as possible, we have created for you your very own VIP page which will keep you updated on key dates and events and provide links to information related to your own personal interests and preferences."

what the hell is this!
    I thought it would be a track page.. oh no. I clicked the link with anticipation, and I was excited for at least a few seconds while I logged in.

ReputationRep:
    I have been wondering this for a while. Would you say you need a bit more than 90+% in maths AS to do STEP (i.e. a decent chunk of natural mathematical ability as well) or can it just be managed through hard work? I am asking because I see people's grades on here and think, yeah that's good and proper e.t.c. but can you actually do STEP/ think on your feet mathematically or are you just a hard worker who is good at maths exams?

ReputationRep:
    Heh, I'm not saying that she shouldn't apply anywhere else. Damn that STEP, is there any exam more demanding than it?
    OF course there are. Whether there are any university entrance exams that are more difficult is a better question though

ReputationRep:
    Damn that STEP, is there any exam more demanding than it?
    STEP is quite easily the most demanding pre-university exam. Assuming that Olympiads don't count. I personally find BMO1 quite a bit harder to do well in than STEP II and III but others will have had different experiences and it's not really a fair comparison.

ReputationRep:
    Sent my application today, game on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deejayy)
    I have been wondering this for a while. Would you say you need a bit more than 90+% in maths AS to do STEP (i.e. a decent chunk of natural mathematical ability as well) or can it just be managed through hard work? I am asking because I see people's grades on here and think, yeah that's good and proper e.t.c. but can you actually do STEP/ think on your feet mathematically or are you just a hard worker who is good at maths exams?
    STEP rewards hard work but to reach the top grade, you need to be quick with your maths whilst remaining accurate and I believe that is somewhat "ability" based (although practicing a few papers under timed conditions will also help quite a bit).

ReputationRep:
    decided that I am applying to:

imperial (comp sci)
    warwick (maths)
    bristol (mathematics and comp sci)
    bath (mathematics with comp sci)
    nottingham (mathematics and comp sci)

predicted A*A*A in double maths and chem respectively.

imperial, warwick and bristol all ask for STEP with grade 2. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, I just hope that STEP 2012 isn't like the 2002 paper! :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    STEP rewards hard work but to reach the top grade, you need to be quick with your maths whilst remaining accurate and I believe that is somewhat "ability" based (although practicing a few papers under timed conditions will also help quite a bit).
    generally, what is required for a grade 2 in STEP? considering that 4 'good' solutions gets a 1. So perhaps 2.5 perfect solutions is a 2? (looking at the grade boundaries).

Just looking for more opinions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by House Dagoth)
    decided that I am applying to:

imperial (comp sci)
    warwick (maths)
    bristol (mathematics and comp sci)
    bath (mathematics with comp sci)
    nottingham (mathematics and comp sci)

predicted A*A*A in double maths and chem respectively.

imperial, warwick and bristol all ask for STEP with grade 2. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, I just hope that STEP 2012 isn't like the 2002 paper! :sigh:
    Never underestimate what exam pressure can do to you in a STEP exam.

ReputationRep:
    generally, what is required for a grade 2 in STEP? considering that 4 'good' solutions gets a 1. So perhaps 2.5 perfect solutions is a 2? (looking at the grade boundaries).

Just looking for more opinions
    It's hard to say as it fluctuates (quite violently if you compare 2010 to 2011) year-on-year, from paper-to-paper. As well as the fact that we don't fully understand how the papers are marked.

For example, in the year I took STEP I (2010), the boundary for a 2 was 70 marks. If I remember right, STEP II's grade 2 boundary was around 68ish whilst STEP III was in the mid 40s. Whereas in june 2011, the STEP boundaries for a 2 in I, II and III ranged from around 45-55 marks.

I say, if you get 3 questions out fully on an average paper (i.e. unlike the 2010 ones) with a few attempts here and there, there's a good chance that you'll get a high 2. That said, I know of others at Warwick that didn't complete a single question fully on STEP I this year but still got 2's so it really varies.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    That's a dangerous thing to say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuzuzu)
    I love exam pressure! (in a strange kind of way... hate it when it actually happens but appreciate it afterwards).

EDIT: elevated senses

ReputationRep:
    That's a dangerous thing to say!
    you're right. I should slow down a bit. But if I keep my wits about me, nothing will stop me!

+ve thoughts

ReputationRep:

Care to share with us applicants what we could be experiencing next year?

On a side note, received a notification from Kings and Warwick within 3 minutes of each other. So excited!

ReputationRep:
    I love exam pressure! (in a strange kind of way... hate it when it actually happens but appreciate it afterwards).

EDIT: elevated senses
    I second this. I feel like a fox, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Could not agree more. My arithmetic skills had a tragic panicky breakdown in last summer.

Regarding A-levels and STEP, although I did OK on step I last summer, I have not done a single alevel c3/c4 exam to date (doing them this jan lol ). Some questions are definitely quite straightforward. But obviously more than one/two questions are needed for a good grade, and for II/III I suspect things will change slightly.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.