Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    Are you going to take STEP, even if it is just for the lulz?

ReputationRep:
    Feeling a bit left out here... everyone has already sent their applications! :sigh:

I haven't even started my PS properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    Warwick decided to send me a second acknowledgement with no text, just an empty message
    Same, I have got all my acknowledgements now except for bloody imperial.

ReputationRep:
    Probably. Definitely will take it if I get an Oxford rejection (which is quite likely).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    Probably. Definitely will take it if I get an Oxford rejection (which is quite likely).
    What sort of attitude is that?!

ReputationRep:
    Right, so does anyone know if either Imperial/UCL/Bristol commonly do math interviews? UCAS mentioned UCL may, but then the UCL admissions site said it's not likely. UCAS said nothing about Imperial, and they DO commonly interview applicants. So I'm just really confused. Can anyone clear this up.

LOL for the 'lulz', I love that. Yes, I'm taking STEP for the lulz >.>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    How's UCL coming along?
    Maths - hard and not really that fun.
    Everything else - great.

How's Kings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snow leopard)
    Right, so does anyone know if either Imperial/UCL/Bristol commonly do math interviews? UCAS mentioned UCL may, but then the UCL admissions site said it's not likely. UCAS said nothing about Imperial, and they DO commonly interview applicants. So I'm just really confused. Can anyone clear this up.
    My tutor for applied is the admissions tutor for the maths department... He mentioned we'll have to rearrange 2 or 3 of our sessions in the coming weeks because they clash with interviews with applicants. That said, I've not met anyone yet who's had an interview here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuzuzu)
    My tutor for applied is the admissions tutor for the maths department... He mentioned we'll have to rearrange 2 or 3 of our sessions in the coming weeks because they clash with interviews with applicants. That said, I've not met anyone yet who's had an interview here.
    Interesting, thanks for that info :creep:

ReputationRep:
    Just got my first Maths offer

Bath gave me A*AB + either 2 in any STEP or Merit in AEA. Feels good that they're coming in

Anyone else had any luck?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xero Xenith)

Bath gave me A*AB + either 2 in any STEP or Merit in AEA. Feels good that they're coming in

Manchester want to interview me, ffs >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    Manchester want to interview me, ffs &gt;.&lt;
    Really? I thought they usually didn't? :eek:

Actually, hadn't heard of any Maths departments wanting interviews except Oxford, Cambridge and one or two in London

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth...? :confused:

ReputationRep:

Congratulations! I'm surprised they've started giving out offers already... perhaps you were just too good!

Meh. No such luck yet But hopefully a longer wait will be worth it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    Not a lot can be said about it really. Just find the normals and intersect them? Then use the fact that (1,0) lies on PQ for find the value of pq.

If you haven't already, it'll help to sketch y^2=4xand all the other points/lines to see what's going on.
    Got there eventually, did Q3 no problems. Q4 is have shown it equals 24/25, using triangles, but mine is positive, where as it asks for -24/25 in the paper.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a proper interview. It's just luring you into walking round the department/campus for 3 hours, having a craic with current students, then getting asked a few questions by a maths member of staff.

Every applicant gets this interview thing, afaik.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    Got there eventually, did Q3 no problems. Q4 is have shown it equals 24/25, using triangles, but mine is positive, where as it asks for -24/25 in the paper.
    Easily fixed with a sketch. You'll see that \sin 2\theta \leq 0 for all theta over \dfrac{3\pi}{2}\leq \theta \leq 2\pi. Remember that the triangles will only give you the magnitude (unless you draw them on a quadrant diagram but who does that? :p:) of the value you want, you need to determine the sign of it yourself by looking at the domain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuzuzu)
    It's not a proper interview. It's just luring you into walking round the department/campus for 3 hours, having a craic with current students, then getting asked a few questions by a maths member of staff.

Every applicant gets this interview thing, afaik.
    Cheers.

3 hours, bloody hell, I live in Manchester anyway

ReputationRep:

Ahh, you lucky guy. I want an offer from Bath already. *waits impatiently*

ReputationRep:
    Just scrutinized my emails from universities more closely and realised that UCL wanted UMS

Thought it was just Cambridge! Anyhow, I've sent off the email with the relevant information... Any other UCL applicants getting this?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.