Turn on thread page Beta

Holiday without the Club Culture - group of 18 year olds watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, there's a group of 6 of us who want to go on holiday for a week to somewhere by the sea abroad that's pretty cheap. We want to avoid the clubbing scene though because although we all don't mind a bit of a drink we're not the clubbing type. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? We were thinking maybe France or Italy?

ReputationRep:
    Scunthorpe

ReputationRep:
    Pick a country, get a rail ticket for a week, see as much as you can.
    Don't book anywhere, just do it all off the cuff.
    Stay in hostels, meet people, and eat like a king.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plucks Gutter)
    Pick a country, get a rail ticket for a week, see as much as you can.
    Don't book anywhere, just do it all off the cuff.
    Stay in hostels, meet people, and eat like a king.
    I wish! I would love to do that but my friend's mum and dad won't let her *mutters threats* I tried to convince her to do that anywhere but she just wasn't interested! :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzaz)
    I wish! I would love to do that but my friend's mum and dad won't let her *mutters threats* I tried to convince her to do that anywhere but she just wasn't interested! :'(

France and Italy seem to boring and the climate is not much different to the UK. I'd recommend several places in Spain but i'm not to sure whether or not there are clubs there.
    My uncle has been to the Algarve in Portugal and apparently its a nice holiday with plenty of shopping , water parks, theme parks, lovely beaches and a hot sunny climate.
    Maybe try that? heres a pic

the water park....

the beach...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by berryboysh)
    France and Italy seem to boring and the climate is not much different to the UK. I'd recommend several places in Spain but i'm not to sure whether or not there are clubs there.
    My uncle has been to the Algarve in Portugal and apparently its a nice holiday with plenty of shopping , water parks, theme parks, lovely beaches and a hot sunny climate.
    Maybe try that? heres a pic
    the water park....
    the beach...
    I've never really been to france properly before so I'd quite like to go with how I'm getting better at the language (currently doing french A2) so I guess that was why I first thought of it - Portugal sounds good though!

what's your opinion on the best places to get flights? Some people say to go straight to the website e.g. easyjet but others swear by those price comparison thingies.. . I'm sick of trawling google hahah! Also, everyone else who's going on the holiday all say they "don't mind" to almost every suggestion which is all well and good but I wouldn't want to end up on a holiday that everyone doesn't mind but doesn't particularly love either hahah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzaz)
    I've never really been to france properly before so I'd quite like to go with how I'm getting better at the language (currently doing french A2) so I guess that was why I first thought of it - Portugal sounds good though!

what's your opinion on the best places to get flights? Some people say to go straight to the website e.g. easyjet but others swear by those price comparison thingies.. . I'm sick of trawling google hahah! Also, everyone else who's going on the holiday all say they "don't mind" to almost every suggestion which is all well and good but I wouldn't want to end up on a holiday that everyone doesn't mind but doesn't particularly love either hahah!

I haven't been abroad for a while tbh and when I did other people sorted out the flights for me, so i cant really help there sorry. I have heard many people say though that booking tickets online is a good idea so look into that and see what show I guess?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by berryboysh)
    I haven't been abroad for a while tbh and when I did other people sorted out the flights for me, so i cant really help there sorry. I have heard many people say though that booking tickets online is a good idea so look into that and see what show I guess?
    Yeah I might try that Thanks for the advice! ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Portugal is nice, I'm hoping to go with some friends myself, we've done the whole clubbing holiday thing, looking for a nice relaxing beach holiday. I've been to the Algarve before and know the area quite well. I'd recommend owners direct for finding apartments/villas, but I'd make sure you find one in a central location as it's quite tricky to get round without a car.

For flights flightscanner.net is a good place to get a general feel for prices and which airport would be cheaper to fly from.

I'd also look at Eastern Europe, you can get some very good deals and there's so much history and culture to absorb. Plus if you get somewhere with nice weather you still get the sunbathing option. I'd recommend travelling in the week, Monday-Friday to miss the worse of the stag parties though if you'll be staying in a major city.

Have fun holiday planning!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzaz)
    Hi, there's a group of 6 of us who want to go on holiday for a week to somewhere by the sea abroad that's pretty cheap. We want to avoid the clubbing scene though because although we all don't mind a bit of a drink we're not the clubbing type. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? We were thinking maybe France or Italy?
    I stopped at a beautiful place in Gran Canaria this summer, it was called Club Cala Blanca, and cost about £200 each for ryanair flights and staying there for a week. It was in the middle of nowhere, but with great bus links. One one side of us there was puerto de mogan, a pretty little harbour town with lovely restaurants + quiet places to drink. Then on the other side was Puerto Rico, which is a loud, very English place, but worth a visit if only to laugh at fat chavs. There's a lovely beach near the hotel which is quiet enough and the sea is great.
    If you want anymore info let me know, but I strongly recommend this place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelkeira)
    I stopped at a beautiful place in Gran Canaria this summer, it was called Club Cala Blanca, and cost about £200 each for ryanair flights and staying there for a week. It was in the middle of nowhere, but with great bus links. One one side of us there was puerto de mogan, a pretty little harbour town with lovely restaurants + quiet places to drink. Then on the other side was Puerto Rico, which is a loud, very English place, but worth a visit if only to laugh at fat chavs. There's a lovely beach near the hotel which is quiet enough and the sea is great.
    If you want anymore info let me know, but I strongly recommend this place
    Wow! That sounds cool! Only £200? that's amazing haha! Yeah I'd be interested to know more about it -where did you find it? Is it easy to get to from the airport?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mapleandpecan)
    Portugal is nice, I'm hoping to go with some friends myself, we've done the whole clubbing holiday thing, looking for a nice relaxing beach holiday. I've been to the Algarve before and know the area quite well. I'd recommend owners direct for finding apartments/villas, but I'd make sure you find one in a central location as it's quite tricky to get round without a car.

For flights flightscanner.net is a good place to get a general feel for prices and which airport would be cheaper to fly from.

I'd also look at Eastern Europe, you can get some very good deals and there's so much history and culture to absorb. Plus if you get somewhere with nice weather you still get the sunbathing option. I'd recommend travelling in the week, Monday-Friday to miss the worse of the stag parties though if you'll be staying in a major city.

Have fun holiday planning!
    Thanks for the tips! Owners direct is a site I've come across but I've never been on skyscanner before - I'll have to take a look!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzaz)
    Wow! That sounds cool! Only £200? that's amazing haha! Yeah I'd be interested to know more about it -where did you find it? Is it easy to get to from the airport?
    I found it because my Mum had a timeshare week there through some scheme she's in, so we went for the week and I loved it so much I went back later in the summer with my also 18 year old friend for £200! I think normally it's mostly time share, but I looked it up on trip advisor, and found links to book through that, and booked with hotels4u in the end, then booked flights seperately with ryanair from Birmingham. Although we did go the week summer holidays ended, so that may be why it was cheaper?
    Getting from the airport, you can either pay around 45 euros for a taxi, or walk from the airport under an underpass to a bus stop at the side of a motorway! The bus costs about 6 euros each and takes around an hour, ask for a ticket to Taurito. Then drops you at the bottom of a massive hill which is pretty hard to walk up in the boiling sun with cases, as I found out! But so rewarding when you get there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelkeira)
    I found it because my Mum had a timeshare week there through some scheme she's in, so we went for the week and I loved it so much I went back later in the summer with my also 18 year old friend for £200! I think normally it's mostly time share, but I looked it up on trip advisor, and found links to book through that, and booked with hotels4u in the end, then booked flights seperately with ryanair from Birmingham. Although we did go the week summer holidays ended, so that may be why it was cheaper?
    Getting from the airport, you can either pay around 45 euros for a taxi, or walk from the airport under an underpass to a bus stop at the side of a motorway! The bus costs about 6 euros each and takes around an hour, ask for a ticket to Taurito. Then drops you at the bottom of a massive hill which is pretty hard to walk up in the boiling sun with cases, as I found out! But so rewarding when you get there
    Sounds good! I'll check it out! Thanks very much ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzaz)
    Sounds good! I'll check it out! Thanks very much ^_^
    No problem, although if you do go... watch out for the lifeguard... haha, he's a bit of a womanizer

ReputationRep:
    If you can I'd definately go the first week of September, still get pretty good weather and the price drops loads! I'm looking at a villa that is £300 cheaper that week than the previous one.

One of my friends swears by travel republic for booking cheap city breaks, I'd check whatever hotel they recommend on tripadvisor though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mapleandpecan)
    If you can I'd definately go the first week of September, still get pretty good weather and the price drops loads! I'm looking at a villa that is £300 cheaper that week than the previous one.

One of my friends swears by travel republic for booking cheap city breaks, I'd check whatever hotel they recommend on tripadvisor though
    I'll suggest that and see what the others think ^_^
    That would actually suit me way better because I like warmth but I don't like being boiled alive! Unfortunatley at the minute everyone else seems to want to go in august which is obviously the worst possible time! We would go in july but we can't because some of them are resitting AS levels and our school is evil and makes us start A2 after the as exams. I'll be all finished though muhwhahaha!

ReputationRep:
    The Black Sea coastal resorts in Romania and Bulgaria are a lot cheaper than ones in Spain and Portugal, there'll be a fewer tourists competing for beach space as well, and the sands are just as nice. Plus if you travel with a budget airline like Wizz Air you can get a great deal. London - Bucharest is like £70 return I think.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.