Turn on thread page Beta

Can I go on the Pill just so I can run packs together? watch

I want to go on the Pill just so that I can run the packs together and miss periods. My periods aren't particular heavy or painful and I don't need to use it as contraception. Would the doctors allow this?
    Also, what tests/questions are done/asked when asking to go on the Pill?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Ask them and see what they say. I'm not sure as I've never been myself.

ReputationRep:
    They advise not to put more than two packs together at a time, as it leads to bleeding whilst your still taking the pill (and not on your non-pill 7 days).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moody_bum)
    They advise not to put more than two packs together at a time, as it leads to bleeding whilst your still taking the pill (and not on your non-pill 7 days).
    Agreed, I only run two packs back-to-back and I find if I do it, it usually gives me a more painful period the next time - so I try not to run them together if possible.

Why do you not want your periods? Are they irregular or anything? To be fair if you aren't having it for medical/sexual related reasons I really doubt they'll give it you.

ReputationRep:
    My friend does this. She only has 4 periods a year because she takes her pill packet back to back.
    To be honest they don't quiz you too much when wanting to go on the pill. If you say you want more mangeable periods and less frequently they should understand and agree to let you take pill packets back to back.

(Original post by staring.space)
    Agreed, I only run two packs back-to-back and I find if I do it, it usually gives me a more painful period the next time - so I try not to run them together if possible.

Why do you not want your periods? Are they irregular or anything? To be fair if you aren't having it for medical/sexual related reasons I really doubt they'll give it you.
    Just so that I can skip a period if I'm going out or sleeping round a friends etc.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It depends on your doctor. Obviously I'm no doctor (nor are most people on here) but I highly recommend you don't do this.

No-one wants periods, just something we have to deal with.

You can use Norethisterone to miss the odd period for a holiday or something, but periods are healthy and good for our bodies.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got the depo injection & she doesn't have periods at all.. but different people react in different ways to that so it's a bit of a gamble.. but it might work if you just don't want periods at all =)

ReputationRep:
    I took the contraceptive injection and it stopped my periods for over a year, although I'm not sure it would have the same effect on everyone...

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm on Cerazette (prog-only pill) and I haven't had a period since I started taking it 3 months ago.
    There are options. Go discuss them with your doc/nurse.

Depends on your doctor and what ones you take. POP's run together anyway. Combined don't. Although I run 3 packs at a time before having a period and anymore than that I get spotting.

There's no harm in it, according to my doctor, but you will need to release the lining build up once in a while.

Questions asked are things like Are you sexually active, how many partners have you had in the last x months (to make sure you're having safe sex really and stop you from getting STI's) and a blood pressure check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I want to go on the Pill just so that I can run the packs together and miss periods. My periods aren't particular heavy or painful and I don't need to use it as contraception. Would the doctors allow this?
    Also, what tests/questions are done/asked when asking to go on the Pill?
    Thanks.
    My doctor has advised that I really need to have a period at least once every three packets (so four periods a year). Although if you have any conflicting issues such as high blood pressure, clotting etc, your doctor will probably advise you against this.

You will be asked about your reasons for wanting to go onto the pill and your sexual history. You will also be weighed, have you height recorded, have a blood pressure check and ask a few general health and lifestyle questions (diet, exercise etc). At each check up, the doctor will ask if you have had any new sexual partners and if you use any other contraceptives (i.e. condoms), and they will probably give you a Chlamydia testing pack if you have had any new partners.

I take three packets in one run before having my period. I find it to be a lot more painful that having the usual period every month. I also get a bad stomach and headaches. During those last/first few days in the packet crossover, I feel very sore and uncomfortable if I try to have sex so I try to avoid it at those times.

At the end of the day, you're messing about with your hormones and if you don't actually NEED to do this then you probably shouldn't. And although you can take pill packs back to back to skip periods, it can't be healthy to do it continuously for extended periods of time. The last two times I took three packs in a row, I ended up having spotting and my period after about 2 months anyway so it didn't even work. So if the only reason you want to it is to skip periods when they're not even that bad in the first place then I doubt you will get prescribed it; remember, the pill increases your risk of blood clots, breast cancer and endometrial and ovarian cancer. side affects also include weight gain, mood swings, headaches, thrush and nausea.

I think there's nothing wrong with admitting to a doctor that you'd like more control of your menstrual cycle.

I run pills back-to-back sometimes, but never more than three packets or I feel guilty. The general advice is not to skip more than two periods, but it's questionable how true that is as I've had friends who've done a whole gap year with no period.

Different people will be affected differently. Personally I don't get breakthrough bleeding but lots do

ReputationRep:
    Could always just say its for contraceptive reasons, how would your doctor ever know?
    And I've ran 5 together before and never had any bleeding, and was never told I shouldn't do this. Perfectly fine to do so!

Ask your Dr. When I was on the pill, I run a few packs together, and I felt so ill. I personally don't recommend doing it on a reg. basis. But I fully understand our bodies are all different from one another.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose a better option might be the implant or injection since that can stop your periods or make them much lighter - but it can depend on you and can affect different people in different ways.

(Original post by emeleh)
    Could always just say its for contraceptive reasons, how would your doctor ever know?
    And I've ran 5 together before and never had any bleeding, and was never told I shouldn't do this. Perfectly fine to do so!
    I'd feel so awkward though. I'm only 16 so I'd feel like the doctor would just be thinking "Slut!".

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'm just going to leave it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelbones)
    Well, I'm on Cerazette (prog-only pill) and I haven't had a period since I started taking it 3 months ago.
    There are options. Go discuss them with your doc/nurse.
    Your sig was a great 3 mins of my time haha
    But yes OP, i agree with the other posters, go and discuss it with a nurse x

ReputationRep:
    If this is what you want to do then you should be honest with your doctor and discuss what is available. I think there are pills specifically intended to be used in this way to only give you about 4 periods per year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.