Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    I just use it to talk to friends and to laugh at all the jobless teenage mothers I used to go to school with.
    ^ This, so much!

I think people use Facebook and take pics of their day-to-day activities to prove they have a life. In doing so, don't have a life.

ReputationRep:
    One of my facebook friends was actually doing ROLEPLAY on facebook. I was really confused because all her statuses were like "Ohh I love my husband, I'm so glad I married him!" I was like WTF, cos she was really young, and then it clicked, (that she has a screw loose somewhere) and that she's doing roleplay. I was thinking to myself, REALLY? Roleplay on FACEBOOK, REALLY???!

Some people are absolute weirdos!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    Oh hey, I don't actually care about what you just said but I'm going to "like" it to feign some kind of interest. See, I'm such a good friend! I "like" what you have to say! Clicking a button is shorthand for sympathy and friendship!
    *Like*!

It's funnier when it's something inane in the first place.

So-and-so JUST HAD THE BEEEEST CHAT WITH MY FRIEND @whoever XXXXX

13 people like this.

Well done, we all know you have a dazzling social life, you are so brilliant and popular and I want to be like you. Let me drop my things and come over for lessons.

And your thirteen likers are clearly your closest friends who aren't just clicking a simple button to remind you (and everyone else!) that they are in your life and that they have friends and are up-to-date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FuzzySheep)
    I have about 3 people on my friend's list that actually post things that are interesting. I don't see the point of me using it tbh - everyone I talk to on a regular basis I can call or text. One of the things I especially find pointless is full on wall-to-wall conversations - surely you can do this through the chat or message function? Urgh.
    yeah, attention seekers.

ReputationRep:
    And the whole liking groups things.

So-and-so is a fan of "I LOVE MY MUM! <3" <- Well duh, we all do. inb4 orphans/abandoned children might not obviously.

So-and-so is a fan of "CAKE!!!111one" <- Yes, we understand that you like cake. So does that vast majority of people here. Why do you feel the need to behave like a six-year-old and feign absurd excitement over a simple piece of confectionary? WE GET IT.

ReputationRep:
    i have to say im one of these people who post status' just to say what im doing, or to complain about things, and i guess i am one of those who want people to know when im depressed and stuff, but to be fair in most cases its just so the person im moaning about reads it pathetic? yes.. but its stopped arguments between me and my friends, and if it wasnt for everyone posting usless status' and people moaning i dont think id know half as much stuff about people as i do now, it brings people closer and also lets the nosy people(me) find out stuff wayy quicker.. hehe. i love facebook, and i really dont think i would know anyones birthday without it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow249)
    One of my facebook was actually doing ROLEPLAY on facebook. I was really confused because all her statuses were like "Ohh I love my husband, I'm so glad I married him!" I was like WTF, cos she was really young, and then it clicked, (that she has a screw loose somewhere) and that she's doing roleplay. I was thinking to myself, REALLY? Roleplay on FACEBOOK, REALLY???!

Some people are absolute weirdos!
    Roleplay on the internet? D:

ReputationRep:
    What's worse is the fricking groups!! "I've been hurt so many times, I don't think I could ever trust again </3"
    STFU. No one cares.

ReputationRep:
    *Deletes status about chicken sandwich & hides in shame*

ReputationRep:
    I'm just glad that the FarmVille phase seems to be over... however it has been taken over by liking everything remotely funny on the numerous 'like' webpages.

ReputationRep:
    I like the using 'like' button to be a **** sometimes though.

Everytime i see my boyfriend he always accidentally hits me in the face. Great fun.

*like*

I agree the group joining thing is getting old though.

ReputationRep:
    I have never, ever been on Facebook

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedger)
    I entirely agree with you, OP. It's really irritating when people use Facebook as some form of vanity tool, trying to show people that they have a life.

Though, what really, really irritates me, is that everyone thinks they're some kind of professional photographer.
    :awesome:

Honestly, the number of people I have seen with an album titled "Photography" when all they have done is fiddled with the contrast/sepia/saturation settings and they think it's art.

Or girls who get dolled up and get a friend to take posing "artistic" photographs and they title it "Modelling Photoshoot"

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    I've done that before. Not sure how it differs from posting pictures from a night out/your dinner/whatever.

It's just things you get up to/are proud of. But overdoing anything is annoying, like 500+ pictures from one night/day.
    to be fair I'd rather see some gardening than a dark picture of drunk people that looks suspiciously similar to every picture on facebook

ReputationRep:
    FB was a good initial idea though, but now yeah I'd agree with you.

A lot of statuses about kids having kids too.

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you.
    You see folks in pics with a can of beer or pint of beer in their hand.

I hardly use the site anyway and everytime i go out and somebody wants to take a pic, i decline because i know they gonna upload it on facebook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret_smile)
    :awesome:

Honestly, the number of people I have seen with an album titled "Photography" when all they have done is fiddled with the contrast/sepia/saturation settings and they think it's art.

Or girls who getting dolled up and getting a friend to take posing "artistic" photographs and they title is "Modelling Photoshoot"

:rolleyes:
    :laugh: Brilliant. I don't understand where this photography obsession has stemmed from. It's literally everyone doing it. Makes no sense. There's actually a snobbery about it as well. One of my friend's statuses a while back was "just because you have a good camera, doesn't mean you take good pictures" - I mean, seriously? haha I'll rep you when I can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Count Stefular)
    What's worse is the fricking groups!! "I've been hurt so many times, I don't think I could ever trust again </3"
    STFU. No one cares.
    so true! half the statuses are just people moaning or telling you about their life that u really couldnt care less about :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    God, I hate Facebook. If my friends had lives outside of it and other means of communication, I'd deactivate it. I agree with pretty much every post in the thread, it's so irritating.

Other pet peeves include "LOOK I'M TYPING A STATUS DRUNK AFTER A NIGHT OUT I'M WASTED LOL HOW MUCH FUN AM I oh god I'm insecure" and "I'M DEACTIVATING FOREVER I HATE EVERYONE" 2 hours later "HEY GUYS I'M BACK ILU X"

And the groups. I swear to God I saw one with around 40k likes that went:
    a gurl neds an ovary transplant or she wil die. sum1 offers her the ovaries. b4 she went in, her bf sed "gdbye i luv u" with a tear slidin down his cheek, bt she dint no y. wen she came out, she was happy the opration went wel bt her mum was kryin. she sed "mum where's my bf" and her mum kried "hu do u think gave u the ovaries?"
    :lolwut:
    looooooooooooooooooolllllll ohhh myyy!!!!!! i laughed SOOOO loud at the group hahahaha u have made my day i cant stop "kryin" with laughter !

ReputationRep:
    I think we should all go and 'like' The Student Room :borat:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.