Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pthaos)
    Okay, thank you for the help.

While this topic is still around, any idea if I can get Xbox Live working at Aber? Whether that'd mean connecting it directly or connecting via the computer. Thanks
    I didn't recieve WiFi in my room in Penbryn halls, however some of my flatmates closer to the main section of the building did.

I connected my Xbox online via sharing my connection through my PC and then also using my wireless router and again sharing the connection. Just a note though, unless it's changed every time you try and join a game of Mw2 (And I assume Black Ops) you get disconnected as it attempts to use some weird ports that the university then blocks your internet connection for 30 minutes....

But you can join session in progress etc.

ReputationRep:
    Rosser, Cwrt Mawr and Trefloyne should all be able to get wireless signal now. Some of the seafront halls can now and they're hoping to add a lot more before too long. Some of PJM might get wireless if they're close to the central amenity block, but PJM doesn't officially have wireless (yet).

For the 360/PS3 online questions, have a look at this guide Information Services wrote:
    http://www.inf.aber.ac.uk/advisory/faq/346/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valyyn)
    Rosser, Cwrt Mawr and Trefloyne should all be able to get wireless signal now. Some of the seafront halls can now and they're hoping to add a lot more before too long. Some of PJM might get wireless if they're close to the central amenity block, but PJM doesn't officially have wireless (yet).

For the 360/PS3 online questions, have a look at this guide Information Services wrote:
    http://www.inf.aber.ac.uk/advisory/faq/346/
    Goodluck getting a PS3 online, lolololol

ReputationRep:
    Hey OP.

Just wondered, if you did go to Aber, did you manage to get your WoW account up and running?

Cheers, Dan.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    World of Warcraft
    To allow for online play of World of Warcraft, the following ports must be unlocked:
    TCP - 3724, 6112, 6113, 6114, and 4000
    When bringing up the launcher, any attempts to update will result in a 30 minute network block UNLESS you make sure that the launcher does not update via P2P. After doing this, the game will update fine, and allow online play. This can be done by clicking the preferences/option button in the launcher and disable the Peer to peer option in the network menu.
    Ports for other Blizzard games can be found on Blizzard's Support Page. The set up is the same as the two above.

ReputationRep:
    I have just done what you said (the ports were already open via the Aber firewall website correct?)

The issue I get is when I log on, I get the "unable to connect".

Alas, I will check back in 30minutes then.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, I am still receiving the unable to connect pop up, do you have any other solutions for this?

Also, where do you currently have it working?

ReputationRep:
    The firewall doesn't get updated until 8am the following day, wait till then.

ReputationRep:
    was in Cwrt Mawr Block M last year and didn't get any WiFi, unless they've put it in this year.
    N has WiFi this year so I imagine M has as well.

ReputationRep:
    still no luck, I might just ask someone within the University.

ReputationRep:
    i am totallyt willing to pay 20-30 pound for someone to connect my xbox to live at pjm, i am dying here man, and ive bought membership

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at https://www.facebook.com/groups/aber.cog/

ReputationRep:
    Gaming at Aberystwyth is virtually impossible unless you have a VPN. The university allows you to open 20 firewall ports or 10 ranges of 10 consecutive ports. This is fine if you want to open Steam and play 1 game, but it really isn't practical enough to game.

Just to make it clear, you will not be able to just connect your XBOX/ PS3 to the wireless network and get online unless you have a VPN. The university has blocked most ports which Xbox Live/ PSN use to work. Also the universities authentication system (Radius) will stop you connecting one up anyways.

Now most members of the gaming society use a VPN. A VPN allows you to connect to an external server and use the internet connection of that. Basically you signup, install their software, click connect, and then go! If you want to connect an XBOX/ PS3 up, you can just install Connectify on your laptop and then share the VPN out through that.

The cheapest VPN I have come across is http://wafaavpn.co.uk. It starts at £3.99 a month or you can buy a few months and get it cheaper. You can also use it to Torrent and bypass the university usage cap, which is good if you are a big downloader :P

Also for people who have mentioned things about WiFi. There is WiFi in all academic buildings,Cwrt Mawr, Rosser, Trefloyne, Pentre Jane Morgan, Plynlimon, Caerleon, Carpenter, Ty Gwerin, Ceredigion, Glyndwr Halls of Residence; the Student Union building and the Arts Centre.

ReputationRep:
    So what games are people playing Online And what format PC/PS3/Xbox? And I take it there is no need to port forward if we are going over the internal network?

ReputationRep:
    So VPN is the ONLY way to get Xbox live going? Yikes

ReputationRep:
    How about minecraft ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piratelifeforme)
    How about minecraft ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That uses 1 port I believe. But I am going to host a local server as well. And from talking to people on Facebook quite a few people have Minecraft and would be up for it!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if there are different methods, or if indeed it is easier/harder to connect an Xbox One/PS4 to the uni network?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.