Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as this thread was necro'd, I've edited the OP with a few things that people who arrive here will find interesting if they're heading to Cardiff in 2012.

Namely, the Cardiff Gaming Society has been working with the Uni to get things unblocked and this has been largely successful. For anyone who wanted it:

LIST OF WORKING PC GAMES IN HALLS

That list is by no means definitive, there are still many untested games, that's just a what's what of the larger ones that a lot of people play. They do take requests from members and will talk to the Uni about it, but only if there's enough support for the game so it's generally the big named games. Bear in mind of course that this list is all online stuff. Though things like Assassin's Creed are shown as blocked, the single player should be available in most cases.

Xbox Live works, you need to register your console through the Gaming Society. I'm not sure about PSN right now, but if it isn't working, it should be very soon.

My OP is below, but it's not really of any relevance now.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Hey there,

I'm appling for Cardiff as one of my Unis, Aber as the other (I've posted a topic like this in the subforums for there.) I am looking to start this coming academic year. Obviously the residences and halls have internet access, but I have a specific question about the policies of this which I can't really find on the Uni website, so I'm hoping people who are actually there can help me!

Currently I play the online game World of Warcraft, and basically want to know if I will be able to continue this in residences at Cardiff. Is this possible or is this kind of connection blocked? I've taken a look on the website FAQs and the question seems to be avoided with an answer of "Well if you can access online gaming we won't stop you, but we won't open ports specifically for this"

Hopefully I can get some genuine answers from this, I'd appreciate it if people didn't bother posting just to say "Why go to Uni if you're just going to play games all day" as this is something that I can enjoy with moderation, allowing me to talk to friends from home.

So, will it be possible for me to continue playing World of Warcraft in residences at Cardiff?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice given.

ReputationRep:
    My advice is that this is a great time to give up your addiction to WoW and get a life in Uni. Hooray!

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's kind of the backup option if it doesn't work. There's a difference between a hobby and an addiction. It's a fine line, granted, but it's there.

Like I said, this is something I can enjoy in moderation and lets me keep in touch with friends back home. While some people like to spend their money on cigarettes/going out every night, I spend mine on this. I understand that this sort of online gaming has a really bad stigma, but as with a lot of things in life it's the few people who go overboard that really create that bad image, but it applies to everyone involved.

ReputationRep:
    Good question. =D I don't play WoW anymore (I used to be quite addicted!) but may pick up Guild Wars 2 on release. And uni isn't ALL about work - you need to be able to have fun as well! Of course, study should be our main priority. I'd like to know the answer to this question as well.

ReputationRep:
    WoW is blocked at Cardiff.

Nothing of value is lost

Guild Wars is the only MMO I've tried that actually works.

ReputationRep:
    That's a shame. From what the FAQs seemed to indicate, that sort of thing is a possibility as the ports used for games like that are also very easily hackable if anyone wanted to get into the network and cause trouble etc, so it's understandable why that sort of thing is blocked.

That's definately a shame, it's something that I'll miss doing, but if I can get the grades required for my Cardiff offer then this isn't going to change me wanting to put Cardiff as my first choice.

ReputationRep:
    That was the exact statement they said about University of Ulster halls, they won't open ports for gaming. WoW worked for me, but all steam games were blocked. E.g Counterstrike etc. Once you try to log into WOW it will disconnect you, just relog in again and it should work a charm .

If you want to play games like CS, simply phone up the service provider and ask them to open up the ports. Alot of univeristies use smaller internet providers for hall of residences, ask the IT department for their phone number. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    If it doesn't work and I do particularly miss playing it, I can always set it up using a 3G dongle. If it is blocked at Cardiff then of course I'll try talking to the IT guys if I'm there - Doubtless I wouldn't be the first person they'd spoken to about that though. :P

When you say "Phone up the service provider and ask them to open up the ports", hypothetically, how would I go about doing this? Having not really experienced Uni yet, who would the service provider be, and would I have to come to them with a list of the ports required? As I say, this is all hypothetical as I'm not there yet, but I'd be interested to have an idea of what I'd be able to do for when/if I get in there.

ReputationRep:
    WoW doesn't work at all at Cardiff - relogging won't help in the slightest, and the IT guys will only open ports at the request of your head of school - at least, according to their policy.

Most Steam games work, but there are exceptions. the EA gaming servers are blocked entirely - so things like BFBC2 don't work.

As well as this, bittorrent is completely barred, and trying to use it will result in your connection being shut down totally for an hour - and bittorrent is the method Blizzard use to distribute the WoW patches.

edit: I'm not trying to come off as snarky, just being honest about what to expect.

ReputationRep:
    The IT guys will only look after the UNIVERSITYs internet, e.g in the libary etc. The halls have a completely seperate provider, ask your hall of residence advisor what the phone number of the provider, phone them up and state what you want. They will either accept your concern, they would more or less open for WoW, Many other ports require multiply openings, e.g EA servers. They will likely refuse you for those,as viruses can be sent through.

Its down to luck really, you can get a total moron at the end of the line who wont lift a finger. Stating your Building Number and room number/ethernet port is what they will ask for. Note if they open yours and yours alone, be careful, if a virus files through into their system, be prepared for hell

ReputationRep:
    Uh, no. Cardiff Halls internet is managed by the university's IT bods.

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/insrv/it/ne...lan/index.html

From the expected services FAQ:

Will I be able to play online games?

As with webcams, sadly the very ports that need to be open in order to play many games are those that are targeted by the very many hacking attempts we encounter constantly.

Cardiff University prides itself on being able to offer academic network connection points in study bedrooms, and these are provided primarily as a study aid. As such, our priority is to offer a secure, academic computing environment for all our students. In order to achieve this we are unable to offer unrestricted Internet access in rooms but have to block those ports which pose a security threat. If you are able to play some games, then we do not want to stop you, as we recognise many people get much enjoyment from doing so. However, we are unable to open any additional ports specifically for that purpose.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of games do work and with some tinkering xbox live will too, but some stuff just flat out wont work I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm in Uni Hall in Cardiff at the moment and I've been banned from it before just because the RESLAN (Residents LAN) service THOUGHT I was playing WoW - I've never played WoW before in my life.

However I do know that some people play it here, but I'm not sure how. I myself play STEAM games without any problem and the connection here is always 6meg and doesn't usually go slow. A lot of the things that the FAQ/other people said are blocked are not blocked any more, so you might get lucky.

ReputationRep:
    You may be able to use a VPN or something, I know a few guys who use them to get torrents working ok.

ReputationRep:
    So overall, there may be ways to get it working whilst still following uni policies such as a VPN or 3G... But its likely to be blocked via conventional means.

Someone mentioned xbox live a few posts back, how does that stand at cardiff?

ReputationRep:
    Xbox live is blocked. Some people have managed to jig a solution, but it's liable to get your access revoked altogether if you're caught.

Also keep in mind a 3g connection is probably not going to have decent enough ping for you to play an MMO. Using a VPN to get around it might also get your access cut off altogether if you get caught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pthaos)
    Hey there,

I'm appling for Cardiff as one of my Unis, Aber as the other (I've posted a topic like this in the subforums for there.) I am looking to start this coming academic year. Obviously the residences and halls have internet access, but I have a specific question about the policies of this which I can't really find on the Uni website, so I'm hoping people who are actually there can help me!

Currently I play the online game World of Warcraft, and basically want to know if I will be able to continue this in residences at Cardiff. Is this possible or is this kind of connection blocked? I've taken a look on the website FAQs and the question seems to be avoided with an answer of "Well if you can access online gaming we won't stop you, but we won't open ports specifically for this"

Hopefully I can get some genuine answers from this, I'd appreciate it if people didn't bother posting just to say "Why go to Uni if you're just going to play games all day" as this is something that I can enjoy with moderation, allowing me to talk to friends from home.

So, will it be possible for me to continue playing World of Warcraft in residences at Cardiff?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice given.

There's a LAN center nearby you could try and get work at and they'll give you free access whenever you want. It's on city road above the new Varsity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orangecup)
    Xbox live is blocked. Some people have managed to jig a solution, but it's liable to get your access revoked altogether if you're caught.

Also keep in mind a 3g connection is probably not going to have decent enough ping for you to play an MMO. Using a VPN to get around it might also get your access cut off altogether if you get caught.
    Depends how you get it to work. I have just set the alternative MAC address as the same as my laptop. Just means I can only use one or the other. If you use a router or VPN or port tunnelling, then you probably will get kicked off if found out.

Also, if you are referring to bandwidth usage, it is really not a problem. IF you take into account that streaming programs uses more bandwidth then you would get kicked off for streaming yet I have had sky sports news on skyplayer round the clock during my revision yet had no problems...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjholland87)
    Depends how you get it to work. I have just set the alternative MAC address as the same as my laptop. Just means I can only use one or the other. If you use a router or VPN or port tunnelling, then you probably will get kicked off if found out.
    Any chance you or someone can clarify this? Are you suggesting that I could use a 3G network and share the connection to allow me to access Xbox live?

Also, I'm totally new to the idea of Port forwarding/Tunneling/VPNs - Whatever these are, are they frowned upon? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pthaos)
    So overall, there may be ways to get it working whilst still following uni policies such as [shouldn't be mentioned here] or 3G... But its likely to be blocked via conventional means.

Someone mentioned xbox live a few posts back, how does that stand at cardiff?
    Bypassing University blocks on their network (however you do it) is not following their policies and could get you a warning, a suspension, or result in being kicked off altogether. Other users really shouldn't be telling you how to do it on TSR either.

Obviously, 3G is fine because you're not using their connection.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.