Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do things get better? watch

Announcements

When people are in hopeless situations, they are often told that "things will get better". I can understand this from a theistic perspective because God is watching over them but how do atheists justify telling depressed people that things will get better? Is it just to ease their own conscience so they don't feel responsible if they kill themselves?

My own situation is pretty unresolvable unless something extraordinary happened, not miraculous but unlikely. Is it worth me carrying on living on a 1 in 100 million chance that things will get better? It feels so hopeless.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose its because if things are so bad then they can't possibly get any worse... which is why people say things will eventually get better. Has nothing to do with god. you will just start to accept things and try to see the good things in life.

ReputationRep:
    Because once you hit the bottom of the barrel, the only way is up. You can go below rock bottom.
    No matter what happens something good will happen in time

ReputationRep:
    Because situations always change. There's always a way out or an opportunity and as time goes on, bad things that have happened in the past don't seem quite as bad as they once did.
    A lot of the time, it takes the person themself to look for these opportunities and make changes and they just need the encouragement to do this. But yes, things do get better.

ReputationRep:
    how do atheists justify telling depressed people that things will get better?

Because they think they will, or they think that giving people hope and belief that things will get better is actually a big part of it actually happening, especially when it comes to depression. If you have no hope then there is no hope.

Your situation might just seem insoluble, or it might actually be insoluble. I wouldn't tell you that it definitely would (or wouldn't) get better unless I knew. However, pretty much a necessary condition of any solution is people having the motivation and belief to put that solution into practice and have the patience to wait and see if it will work. Hope by itself isn't useful either.

my situation could possibly be solved but the chances are very slim. i don't know if it's worth feeling so bad all the time on the off-chance that it'll happen someday.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the circumstances. There are a few situations, such as having a terminal illness, where things will not simply get better.

But for many of life's problems, things do improve with time. Even long-term disability need not prevent happiness. A recent study showed that most people with locked-in syndrome consider themselves happy, and the proportion increases the longer they have been in that state. Life plans change, but that needn't be the end of living.

I've had some very dark times when I didn't think I could cope. But just keep on living one day at a time, keep trying your hardest even when you feel like throwing in the towel, and things will usually improve. Now I'm truly happy and secure, my life is on track and I can look back on what happened and smile. And in retrospect, things weren't quite as bad as they seemed at the time.

ReputationRep:
    Things don't get better :no: but it's still nice to hear it being said :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Most things tend towards the average - if your life is going dreadfully at the moment, its unlikely to get any worse and probably will improve somewhat in time. It will improve much faster though if you are positive about it and take positive steps to improving things.

ReputationRep:
    Things always change, and you never know for sure what's going to happen in the next few weeks/months/years. When you're feeling down it's difficult to see a way out, and accept that things won't always be like they are now, or like they have been for the past X years.

It's difficult to say because you don't give specifics about your situation, but often people think things are unresolvable when they're not at all. Problems don't always have to be "solved", sometimes if you just sit back, cope as best as you can with what's happening now and focus on the future, things will get better themselves and situations will change for the better.

In a year's time things might be totally different, and you'll never get to experience that if you give up now. It's far too easy to say that you can't really see a way out and that your chances of being happy are hopeless, but you really have no idea what's coming your way. Trust me, when I look back to a year ago it's incredible how much things have changed and how different everything is now. There's no reason that won't happen for you as well, you just need to start believing it
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJdcROXeaWc

ReputationRep:
    It's a coping mechanism. No one knows whether things will get better or worse, no matter how bad they are. However if you tell someone the truth and say well things could get a lot worse or a lot better, it's just nihilistic, it's saying you have little to no control over what happens and you should just accept this. Which isn't really that comforting an idea.

Of course things can get better! You have to get in there and make them better- don't just let them get out of hand- if things are overwhelming you so much to the point that you just can't do it anymore, just stop for a few hours, it doesn't matter what you should be doing, if it makes the difference between living and giving up, then it's worth it; get some paper, go to a library or somewhere quiet and come up with a written plan to make things better. Plan it out thoroughly, including plan bs, because we all know things don't always go our way. Commit yourself to doing everything you can to improve the situation and I assure you, things will get better over time.

If you're really, really pushed to the edge, gather up all your money (get a job for a while if you don't have enough money) and buy a plan ticket to somewhere far away and start again. Sound rash? It doesn't matter; it's significantly less rash than suicide.

All the best

*plane

ReputationRep:
    Things can only get so bad though, once you hit the rock bottom the only way things can go is up surely?
    There are exceptions of course like someone has mentioned, about being terminally ill where things will simply not get better but even then people try to make the most of the time they do have.

If you are here today then you can hope for tomorrow and who knows what tomorrow may bring. It might seem the chances of something good happening are slim but if there is a chance, then don't give up because there is hope.

Life didn't come with instructions - thats why its all about the experience and if you give up now, who knows what your life might have been like this time next year. Indulge in something that makes you happy and speak to the people who care about you. No one said life was going to be easy but just that the experiences will be worth it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.