Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Oil will not be left to USA, France and UK watch

ReputationRep:
    Just watching the news and apparently Gaddafi will not let oil be left for any hostile country.

What do you lot think about this?

ReputationRep:
    Don't think he'll have much of a choice

ReputationRep:
    In a few weeks, I don't think Gaddafi will be the one who makes that decision any more

ReputationRep:
    Saudi Arabia & the rest of the Middle East has most of the oil.

Libya not giving out oil will mean nothing to the west.

ReputationRep:
    Some people should really read a lot more into what goes on in the world before making accusations about oil like this, they also probably have the nerve to call americans ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)

I think something like 69% of oil coming into Europe comes from Libya.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    That cant be true. Libya don't have anywhere near enough oil to supply 69% of Europe.

And I know 0% of Libyan oil goes to the US

ReputationRep:
    I think something like 72.136136% statistics on this forum are sourced out of thin air and have no evidence to back them up at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davie18)
    That cant be true. Libya don't have anywhere near enough oil to supply 69% of Europe.

And I know 0% of Libyan oil goes to the US
    I overheard it on The Political Slot or some program like that this morning. The one with Andrew Marr in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislpp)
    I think something like 72.136136% statistics on this forum are sourced out of thin air and have no evidence to back them up at all.
    Evidence please! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I overheard it on The Political Slot or some program like that this morning. The one with Andrew Marr in it.
    well there is no way it can be true. Even if they exported 100% of the oil they produce they still wouldn't have enough to supply 69% of Europe.

Even the UK produces more oil than Libya.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: if you didn't get the point haha

ReputationRep:
    It's just Gadaffi being an asshat as he loves to be. The fact remains that if the West were concerned about Libya's oil they wouldn't be intervening now considering they had extensive contracts and facilities in the country already.

ReputationRep:
    A bit off

Austria, Ireland and Italy are the European countries most reliant on Libyan crude imports, which make up more than 20 percent of each country’s purchases, the organization said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...nvoy-says.html

ReputationRep:
    Don't be that guy...

OT: If OP means that Gaddafi is going to set the oil fields alight then that's some pretty serious ****. Otherwise they're most likely hollow words.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Meh. We aren't there for oil. Why would we invade to get oil we already have? And why go for the 9th producer in the world and not Iran?

ReputationRep:
    I may be wrong but I heard the percentage of oil going to the USA from Libya was minimal if anything at all. A large amount of their oil comes from within their own country...so I heard.

ReputationRep:
    Oil is one of the only things in Libya that anyone wants to buy. If Gaddafi goes and burns all the oilfields then even if he ends up winning he'll have bankrupted his own country. Unless he's certain of defeat and does it out of spite, I can't imagine that he'd be that stupid.

Edit - Wikipedia says that oil exports from Libya make up 95% of export earnings and more than half of total GDP. That's how important it is to the Libyan economy.

ReputationRep:
    I think we're forgetting some things here:

He funded the IRA
    He ordered the Lockerbie bombing
    He ordered the mass murder of his own citizens

Don't you think that maybe this is revenge?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by No Man)

Libya has a huge amount of oil. It was, before the rebellion, producing around 1.5 million barrels per day - with 85% going being exported to Europe. Not to mention that most of Libya remains to be explored, Libya is a very important part of Europe's oil supply.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.