Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannyking)
    Hey everyone, first post.

I'm going to be re-sitting all 6 modules of my Maths A-level this Summer (May & June). Since I'm re-sitting I don't have people to work with on this.

Does anyone want to start an online study group to make the revision a bit more interesting? I was thinking of meeting e.g. weekly on Skype and talking through whatever topic we'd decided to work on that week.

The modules I'm revising are C1, C2, C3, C4, D1 & D2. Happy to work on any of these collaboratively and also happy to work with a group or just one person, if anyone is looking for the same thing.

The main reason I'd like to do this is for motivation: if we set weekly goals and then meet up and talk about it, I'll be much more likely to get everything I wanted to do done!

Anyone interested?
    I suggest you use www.openstudy.com - it is a site for creating study groups and joining other groups...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princess271)
    does anyone know how to do geometry?
    Geometry is a wide area of study. Which part do you find difficult?

ReputationRep:
    That'd be really cool - I've got Edexcel C1 and C2 this summer (+ S1)

ReputationRep:
    @DopplerEffect Oh awesome thanks I'll take a look!

@thegodofgod Howdee, welcome! If you have Skype add me

ReputationRep:
    Which parts?

There are geometry sections for c1, c2, c4 & c4 - do you know which topics in particular you are having trouble with?

If you know the formulae/theory you're struggling with we can work out which topics they are
    Core 2

its geometric progression.

ReputationRep:
    Core 2

its geometric progression.
    IMHO, that's only really related to geometry by it's name and origin, but we should be able to discuss that.

ReputationRep:
    @princess271 OK I went over geometric progressions a week or two ago, I think I'm okay with them. Shall we arrange a day next week to go over them together? Hazbaz on Skype today also told me they wanted to go over geometric progressions too. If anyone else wants to join in, post here and say!

ReputationRep:
    @princess271 OK I went over geometric progressions a week or two ago, I think I'm okay with them. Shall we arrange a day next week to go over them together? Hazbaz on Skype today also told me they wanted to go over geometric progressions too. If anyone else wants to join in, post here and say!
    my assignments in for tomorow
    and i havent got skypee
    so how can you helpp mee ..
    i only got msn
    but noone uses this anymore

ReputationRep:
    my assignments in for tomorow
    and i havent got skypee
    so how can you helpp mee ..
    i only got msn
    but noone uses this anymore
    You can get Skype for free from skype.com, only takes a couple of minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Are we doing Core 4

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

So the meeting last night went well. There were about ten of us and we went over log questions. Some people were a bit annoying by wiping the online whiteboard half-way though a question or whatever, but all in all it was pretty good.

Here's how I think it should work:

Everyone is studying different modules and have different weaknesses for each, so rather than one big weekly meeting I think people should post in this forum what particular topic(s) they want to revise and when (e.g. "I'd like to revise core 3 Integration one day this week") and then people can reply and arrange to meet that person, either one on one or in a small group.

The people can then meet on e.g. Skype and use an online whiteboard like www.scriblink.com or www.twiddla.com

Optional: also it was suggested that if you're on Skype and you've added other members of the study group, to change your Skype status to the modules you're taking (e.g. c1, c2, c3, c4, d1, d2) so other group members know what you're working on for spontaneous revision.

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone like to revise the remainder theorem from Core 2 & 3? That is when you divide polynomials by other polynomials.

Also would anyone like to revise any D1 topics?

Also would anyone like to revise any C2 topics?

I'm free any day.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want to revise Vectors and Matrices? I don't do modules but Matrices - till eigenvalues, eigenvectors etc. and vectors till finding distance between planes etc.

ReputationRep:
    Who were the two people that wanted to revise geometric sequences? Shall we do that one day this week?

ReputationRep:
    Wow this seems like a really good idea. Is it too late to join now?? I'm doing c3 and c4. Bdw I dont have skype, i'l make an account but how do I add people?? and could someone explain how it workss?
    Thanksss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twist&twirl123)
    Wow this seems like a really good idea. Is it too late to join now?? I'm doing c3 and c4. Bdw I dont have skype, i'l make an account but how do I add people?? and could someone explain how it workss?
    Thanksss
    Hey twist, anyone can join any time, welcome

Just announce what you'd like to revise and see if anyone else also wants to. Make sure you mention your skype name when you make it

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know a good resource to practice sketching the graphs we encounter in c1-4?

Or a good way to go about it?

So sketching linear, polynomial, mod, 1/x, etc.?

I'm a bit rusty

ReputationRep:
    Hey twist, anyone can join any time, welcome

Just announce what you'd like to revise and see if anyone else also wants to. Make sure you mention your skype name when you make it
    Hey
    I should make an account by next week and then i'l post my skype name here I'm just waiting for my laptop to come back from repairs at the momment.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know a good resource to practice sketching the graphs we encounter in c1-4?

Or a good way to go about it?

So sketching linear, polynomial, mod, 1/x, etc.?

I'm a bit rusty
    There's some good exercises on Khan Academy where you select the right equation from a graph, but you can also just put the equation into WolframAlpha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hrickards)
    There's some good exercises on Khan Academy where you select the right equation from a graph, but you can also just put the equation into WolframAlpha.
    Thanks I'll take a look!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.