Turn on thread page Beta

Ah ok prepare yourself for a long post :P. Its a mixture of me asking for you opinions and voicing what i keep thinking over and over again in my head.
    I have been in a relationship now for a year and a bit, and we have spent our entire relationship as a long distance one as we both go to Uni. I go University of Kent and she goes to University of Exeter but at the Falmouth campus...so a significant distance apart from each.
    Over these recent months we haven't been able to see each other as much as I would like, as we both have a lot of work on this term and she has a job down in Falmouth at the weekends. But when I have seen her it has only be for short periods of time, for example I saw her briefly when we went up to one of our friend's uni for a weekend however I only saw her for one day. And another day we met up in London as she was up there for degree work reasons, and I got to see her for a few hours. Though the fact that I hardly get see her was getting me down a bit, I struggled through knowing I was going to see at Easter, when we both go back to our home town for a month. But last night we did a skype chat and she told me she now has to stay in Falmouth for the majority of Easter, as her job asked her if she could stay there, and she said yes.
    It got me thinking that this is what it's going to be like from now on, seeing each other for hours or a week or a day. We hardly talk properly that much anyway at the moment, like skype once a week but text most days. And next year for Uni I go abroad for my degree, so it going to prove more of a challenge to talk and visit each other. I know in the long run it is worth it because we have the best time when we are together. However when we are apart I don't really feel apart of her life and she isn't apart of mine, and it feels crap. So I am confused if it's a good idea to stick together, knowing its going to be like this for a while longer? Or separate for a while and see what happens in the future (maybe get back together when Uni is over)? Anyway I guess its life I suppose, I just wanted to get this off my chest cause it was getting me down a bit.
    Reply if you wish.

ReputationRep:
    With you going abroad and you also feeling down about not seeing her, I really don't see it working sorry. Can't you go visit her or her come visit you though?

ReputationRep:
    Long distance relationships are never easy, but without the motivation/time/determination to be a part of the other person's life (regardless of how far they are away), I think it's nearly impossible. Out of the 4.5 years I've been with my boyfriend, 2.5 of those have been LD (varying distances, but seeing each other every couple of weeks or less). There have obviously been times that I've got frustrated and upset with it all, but you have to be able to talk to your girlfriend about it. You can't see each other often, fair enough, but you can always talk- phone, skype, text, email, letter; there are a milion ways. I would talk to her about things first. She probably feels exactly the same and once you've put it out there, you can decide whether you're going to stay together and figure out how to make it work or you're going to go your separate ways. Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.