Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been researching Universities and I have found out that there can be over 50 people in a lecture (sometimes even 100!!).

I would like to be at a Uni with roughly 30 people at maximum in a lecture. So I have been on The Guardian website (see link below)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sports-science

And I looked at the Studenttaff ratio. I was interested in Southampton Uni before and it says it only has 8:1 Student staff ratio. So does that actually mean that generally at the Uni, quite a lot of courses would have about 8 students in the lecture????!!

ReputationRep:
    The student:staff ratio basically says that for every staff that they have, there are 8 students

So maybe if there are 8000 students at the university, there are 1000 staff members

It doesn't have much to do with the number of people at lectures although it might mean that you have more classes with more people if the student: staff ratio is for example 30:1

ReputationRep:
    Really? Our chemistry lectures have over 200 since thats the size of the year.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the course and year of study. For instance, in first year there were over 100 people in my lectures, second year there was about 70 (people failing, dropping out, changing courses etc) and now 3rd year I have range from 12 in one module to 65 in another module (because in 3rd year, we get to choose several different modules hence the range).

ReputationRep:
    When they say there's 1000 staff, it doesn't necessarily mean they're all teaching staff, and it definitely doesn't mean they're all teaching at the same time. How many people there in a lecture will depend on the course; I've been in lectures with over 200 people as the module was compulsory for a handful of courses and optional for a few more.

ReputationRep:
    in my cohort there's 100 people... it's not as bad as it seems!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamburgerandbeans)
    I have been researching Universities and I have found out that there can be over 50 people in a lecture (sometimes even 100!!).

I would like to be at a Uni with roughly 30 people at maximum in a lecture. So I have been on The Guardian website (see link below)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sports-science

And I looked at the Studenttaff ratio. I was interested in Southampton Uni before and it says it only has 8:1 Student staff ratio. So does that actually mean that generally at the Uni, quite a lot of courses would have about 8 students in the lecture????!!

Ummm why?

A lecture isn't a seminar. It doesn't involve you doing anything. You sit there; you listen to someone talk for an hour; you make notes. Why does it matter if there are 29 people sat listening with you or 100? You're not going to be putting up your hand to ask questions anyway. That's for small group teaching.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    That means that there are 8 students to every member of staff. It doesn't mean that there's actually just 8 students in a lecture!

Yes, many lectures are going to have around 50-100 people in them. Some lectures have around 200 people in them! To be honest, I don't see why you want such small lecture groups! Sitting in a lecture listening to someone doesn't involve individual attention so why does it matter? You'll have trouble finding lectures with fewer than 30 students in.

A lot of departments state how many places there are on a course, that might help give you a better idea of the number of students there may be in lectures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    That means that there are 8 students to every member of staff. It doesn't mean that there's actually just 8 students in a lecture!
    I know that it means 8 students to 1 staff member. But if there are only a few more students than staff, it will suggest that lectures are going to be small.

Yes, many lectures are going to have around 50-100 people in them. Some lectures have around 200 people in them! To be honest, I don't see why you want such small lecture groups! Sitting in a lecture listening to someone doesn't involve individual attention so why does it matter? You'll have trouble finding lectures with fewer than 30 students in.
    I would like smaller lectures. I am worried that in large lectures I will just get bored and not concentrate. The larger lectures are probably going to be really formal and no questions would be allowed to get asked.

Smaller lectures would be more informal and interesting and much easier to cope with. You would probably get more personal help and would be similar to sixth form/school. Also, it is easier to ask questions if unsure!!

A lot of departments state how many places there are on a course, that might help give you a better idea of the number of students there may be in lectures.
    Thanks. That would definately be useful!!

ReputationRep:
    I would like smaller lectures. I am worried that in large lectures I will just get bored and not concentrate. The larger lectures are probably going to be really formal and no questions would be allowed to get asked.

Smaller lectures would be more informal and interesting and much easier to cope with. You would probably get more personal help and would be similar to sixth form/school. Also, it is easier to ask questions if unsure!!
    !
    Those are called seminars, small groups designed for asking questions and such.

By 'formal' i dont understand what you mean,you can ask questions.. obviously.. but it's not like you should be allowed to talk and chat during itwhich would be 'informal'

Lectures are just sit there, copy notes, listen, and go.
    Seen many people still ask question's .. it's not forbidden, it's still welcomed, so unless you have a problem asking in front of large groups of people, asking is fine. People also stay behind after to talk to lecturer, or his/her email is always there and given out

Also don't understand how you wouldnt be able to concentrate with more people.. makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    In a lecture there is about 150 kids, 1 teacher, in a tutorial its about 15 kids to 1 teacher.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I know that it means 8 students to 1 staff member. But if there are only a few more students than staff, it will suggest that lectures are going to be small.
    Unfortunately it doesn't mean that at all. It means there are more staff in the department. Usually only one member of staff gives a particular lecture. More staff doesn't mean you get split into smaller groups for lectures.

I understand what you are saying, but I'm concerned that you are placing too much weighting on the size of lectures than other factors. It's pretty rare for lectures (especially in the first year) to have groups of 30 or less. At my previous uni there were around 80 people in a lecture, and people would still ask questions. Lectures in general are pretty formal anyway, and you won't even notice how many people are in the room as you'll be concentrating hard and taking loads of notes. You don't get personal help in lectures. Uni is very very different to school/college. It's seminars that tend to be smaller and less formal with opportunities for discussion and asking questions. If you ever need extra help, you can always see your personal tutor or talk to the lecturer at the end of a lecture.

Thanks. That would definately be useful!!
    Glad to be of help

ReputationRep:
    Hahahha, try 500+ in a lecture which is how many people for IA Chemistry at Cambridge. They were fine though, I don't get why it would be much of an issue, since often it's just listening to the lecturer, it's not that interactive.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the number of admissions for your course and that will say how many people will be in your lectures in the first year. (roughly)

ReputationRep:
    An 8:1 student to staff ratio will only imply an 8-person lecture average if Southampton's toilet attendants are doing a bit of teaching on the side.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have thought it would matter for lectures how many people there were to be honest seeing as it is just one person talking.

ReputationRep:
    There were 142 in my last one.

ReputationRep:
    I do maths and there's 230 of us in lectures!

ReputationRep:
    My English lectures used to fill the lecture theatre (capacity for 300) and same for Primary Teaching, we used to have people sitting on the floor/stairs in them as there were no seats left! Tutorials vary, but the smallest I have ever been in had 15 - the most was 35.

ReputationRep:
    I do medicine and the first 2 years we had lectures everyday with 265 people in

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.