Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Lectures usually empty out in second/third year. Some of mine only have like 15ish people enrolled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    An 8:1 student to staff ratio will only imply an 8-person lecture average if Southampton's toilet attendants are doing a bit of teaching on the side too.
    Well, in today's economy, attending toilets doesn't pay all too well so many are choosing to supplement their income through higher education lecturing.

ReputationRep:
    Some of my modules are taken by 600 students; lectures are given twice in the largest lecture theatre at UCL which holds about 400 people. It's a lecture, not a seminar, it doesn't make a difference whether it's 400 people, or 4; you'll do the same thing, take notes etc, then leave.

ReputationRep:
    On most courses your classes will be divided up into lectures and seminars (Science/engineering people will have labs on top).

A lecture will have anywhere from about 45 to 200 people in it, generally. The lecturer stands at the front and gives a talk, sometimes with a powerpoint or other presentation, and you take notes. Some lectures are more formal than others but in general you don't interrupt to ask questions - if you want to clarify something you ask the lecturer at the end or send them an email, just because if everyone asked a question every time they got slightly confused the lecture would never finish.

Some lecturers can be a bit soporific but I find that concentration depends much more on the content of the lecture and how good the lecturer is at speaking than the number of people in the audience.
    Lectures provide the general outline of the course.

Seminars are smaller groups (between 10 and 25 students usually). You do more detailed discussion of the stuff in the lectures and more specific analysis of the subject in these classes. For some courses you will have the same teacher for both lectures and seminars, for others you might have a different one. This is where you ask lots of questions and your seminar tutor is the person you will probably go and see about essays and assignments from the course.

However neither is much use without the other - the seminar will not make much sense without the outline from the lecture and anything that wasn't clear in the lecture can be brought up and clarified in the seminar.

Languages classes work slightly differently - I had a one hour oral class and two hours of language study each week but this might vary from university to university and language level. I think we had about fifteen students in each language class plus the 'whole year' lectures as preparation for the Year Abroad which there were about 150 of us in.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter *how* many people are in the lecture really - you will usually have seminar meetings of a classroom size group of people or smaller, depending on how many people choose/have to take certain modules. Some of mine have over 200 people in the lectures. It doesn't reflect how good/bad a place is on how many people are in the lectures!

ReputationRep:
    We're supposed to have 600 in our lectures at the start of the year, but some have dropped and and not everyone turns up.
    In your first year you'll probably be in the same one as everyone else on your course.

ReputationRep:
    I really doubt you'll have lectures with just 30 people in your first year. As far as I know, it's unheard of. It's fine to ask questions in lectures, but it's not like sixth-form. The clue's in the name. It's a LECTURE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)

Ummm why?

A lecture isn't a seminar. It doesn't involve you doing anything. You sit there; you listen to someone talk for an hour; you make notes. Why does it matter if there are 29 people sat listening with you or 100? You're not going to be putting up your hand to ask questions anyway. That's for small group teaching.
    Not here - we ask questions in lectures, have debates and discussions. Then again, there are thirty people maximum in a lecture (usually more like twenty-five or even twenty), so maybe that's why...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamburgerandbeans)
    it says it only has 8:1 Student staff ratio. So does that actually mean that generally at the Uni, quite a lot of courses would have about 8 students in the lecture????!!
    LOL

Yes, yes that is what it means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Lectures usually empty out in second/third year. Some of mine only have like 15ish people enrolled.
    They usually empty out by about week 7 or 8 of the first semester.

If there's 160 in a lecture group then you'll have about 150 turn up in week 1, by week 4 there will probably still be about 100-120, then in the second half of the semester it drops off rapidly especially if its a 9 or 10 am lecture.

I remember being in one lecture group of well over 100 where there must have been about 25 turn up one day because it was the first sunny day of the year outside.

ReputationRep:
    400 people in lectures for us. Why does it matter how many people are being shown the same thing? It's not school anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamburgerandbeans)
    I know that it means 8 students to 1 staff member. But if there are only a few more students than staff, it will suggest that lectures are going to be small.

I would like smaller lectures. I am worried that in large lectures I will just get bored and not concentrate. The larger lectures are probably going to be really formal and no questions would be allowed to get asked.

Smaller lectures would be more informal and interesting and much easier to cope with. You would probably get more personal help and would be similar to sixth form/school. Also, it is easier to ask questions if unsure!!

Thanks. That would definately be useful!!
    In a lecture you don't get any personal help :/ A lecturer stands at the front, shows a presentation, bored you to death with a topic, you listen and take notes, you get your reading for the seminar/next lecture and then you go. The classes will be small - this is where you get your help, and our classes range from about 7 to 15. You can still ask questions in lecures - or at least I do and it's not been a problem.
    It's unlikely to find a small lecture, except maybe for undersubscribed courses. But even then, there will still be people who have chosen that as an outside module.

ReputationRep:
    My lectures have 200+ people in them. :lol: it's no big deal, it depends entirely on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    They usually empty out by about week 7 or 8 of the first semester.

If there's 160 in a lecture group then you'll have about 150 turn up in week 1, by week 4 there will probably still be about 100-120, then in the second half of the semester it drops off rapidly especially if its a 9 or 10 am lecture.

I remember being in one lecture group of well over 100 where there must have been about 25 turn up one day because it was the first sunny day of the year outside.
    Heh, that's more people than my entire year group.

I've been to lectures with only 6 other people attending, one of my modules last term had literally 15 people in it enrolled altogether... I guess not many people are interested in "Ideology and Political critique". Shocking eh. Although the lecture was at 2pm, which probably kept numbers up.

I haven't been in a lecture theatre since first year.

ReputationRep:
    You're definitely getting Lectures confused with Seminars - most courses are a mix of the two and yes I would agree that seminars are more useful than lectures as you are more engaged in the work and speaking up for yourself, but lectures are usually neccessary to communicate the huge amounts of module content in the relatively short semester - your job is to sit there, listen and take notes, so it would still be the same if there were 5 people or 200 people in the room.

My seminars are always paired with a lecture, so we have the lecture early in the week, and then we have a seminar a day or so later where we put into practise the info that they gave us in the lecture.

So basically, the important thing is that you actually have seminars/tutors on the course if large lectures really bother you.

ReputationRep:
    First year was really full because everyone was doing the same core courses but since then my lectures are probably more like 30-60... it depends on what course you are doing and at what uni. I imagine business studies would be quite big here (Lancaster, not UCLan) but humanities are generally pretty small I think (in second and third years).

Having said that, I did one year at Cardiff before I moved here to start over and the Cardiff lectures were HUGE - I'd be shocked if the 1st year sociology was less than 200.

ReputationRep:
    Our core course lectures (ie the bits everyone takes) has 300 people in the lecture. Not much you can do about it unless you opt for a really unpopular course.

ReputationRep:
    Erm...there's over 300 in English literature lectures.

ReputationRep:
    Are you joking? I'm sure there are about 300-odd people in my lectures. I'm sure that's average for a first-year course since it's the whole year of students..

ReputationRep:
    In my lectures, there are maximum 40 people (45 if the English Language and Linguistics students are in), and my seminars have 10-20 people, depending on the day (seminars at 9:30 on Monday mornings have the lowest attendance of about 8 people).

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.