Turn on thread page Beta

Do you still use homeopathy? watch

ReputationRep:
    After trying to tell people on this site and many others about the scam that is homeopathy I have come up with a solution that will hopefully mean you'll spend less money on it. (But knowing my luck this has been suggested before already)

Let's say for arguments sake that homeopathy does work, water has a memory and the principle of that if there is less of the active ingredient the more potent it is (i.e. the more dilute the remedy is the more powerful it is) works and cures people without the need of a placebo effect.

Now you, who still uses homeopathy, gets ill, so you go and buy a homeopathic remedy.

This is the only one you need to buy. Why? Well what you do is before you finish it all, when there is one drop of it left, just fill the bottle with more water! (Or distilled if you prefer.) That way you'll never have to buy it again for the illness you have and it'll just keep getting stronger and stronger!

ReputationRep:
    If only all medicine was free and came out of a tap...

ReputationRep:
    I use some homeopathic remedies, but not the water-based ones. The herbal-based ones are actually quite good (like belladonna for headaches, I've had very few since I started taking it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelbones)
    I use some homeopathic remedies, but not the water-based ones. The herbal-based ones are actually quite good (like belladonna for headaches, I've had very few since I started taking it).
    You're taking herbal medicine then, not homeopathy. Whilst they're not as much of a scam as homeopathy, real medicine is still the way to go. Often the active ingredient that makes herbal remedies work is what is used in mainstream medicine (often a more effective version too).

For example someone will say they dont trust modern medicine so they take tree sap to sooth headaches, when the medical 'alternative' aspirin contains a similar molecule and was derived from the sap version.

A quote from Dara O'Briain: "I'm sorry, 'herbal medicine', 'Oh, herbal medicine's been around for thousands of years!' Indeed it has, and then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became 'medicine', and the rest of it is just a nice bowl of soup and some potpourri, so knock yourselves out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sicarius1992)
    A quote from Dara O'Briain: "I'm sorry, 'herbal medicine', 'Oh, herbal medicine's been around for thousands of years!' Indeed it has, and then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became 'medicine', and the rest of it is just a nice bowl of soup and some potpourri, so knock yourselves out.
    Aha, I do love Dara

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to get negged to hell and back for this but never mind.

I have actually had some pretty good experiences with the "water based" homeopathy tablets. :dontknow:

May I emphasise though that I have only ever turned to homeopathy when modern medicine didn't offer me anything/couldn't help and I would always try modern medicine first.

I once had the most awful food poisoning. The type which is a bit more severe than just throwing up a bit. I was in total agony and got rushed to a&e. When I finally got seen by a doctor they just said that they couldn't do anything and I should take a paracetamol if they pain gets any worse.
    So I had to go home, still in severe pain and violently sick and my mums friend recommended arsenic.
    I was skeptical but decided it was worth a shot. The instructions read take two initial tablets and a further two tablets when symptoms return.
    The pain stopped within 10minutes. They then returned 20min later so I took another 2 tablets and the pain/sickness went again. This happened another 3 times and then I was fine. :dontknow:

I used to be a skeptic but after that I don't really criticise it anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I drink water every day and I've never been sick

ReputationRep:
    Still use?

"The supermoons effect on earth will be the same as homeopathic medicines affect on your health, none whatsoever"

ReputationRep:
    I used it about 10 years ago to get rid of my eczema because my mum didn't like me using steroid creams. My eczema was bad to the extent at one point I had to be taken to the hospital because my skin was really weepy and I was in a lot of pain.

Anyhow took the homeopathic medicine. Eczema went away and has never come back. My cousin who's eczema is just as bad as mine was is still using steroid creams and hers is still there.

I would never replace medication with herbal or homeopathic medicine because that's just asking for trouble.

ReputationRep:
    "Still"? Your title implies that I was at some point stupid enough to use homeopathy. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I use aromatherapy oils for medicinal purposes?

Or is that different?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    "Still"? Your title implies that I was at some point stupid enough to use homeopathy. :confused:
    It's aimed at people who continue to use homeopathy, it's not that hard to work out. You can't have a title aimed at every individual since you'd run out of room.

The quote "Now you, who still uses homeopathy, gets ill, so you go and buy a homeopathic remedy." should have given you a clue as to who I'm refering the post to

ReputationRep:
    No I don't use homeopathy

Why?

Because I'm not a moron
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This thread could be entertaining....

ReputationRep:
    I once tried homeopathy in an attempt to cure diabetes when I was about 12 ha

ReputationRep:
    I would rather use medication that has been tested scientifically, so I've never used homeopathy.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of water-based homeopathy but I do use herbal medicine (which I call homeopathy :dontknow: ).

I do other things as well.. For example, if I have a cold I just make up a honey, lemon and ginger tea... Works so much better than any of the over the counter cold medicines I've tried... :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hravan)
    I've never heard of water-based homeopathy but I do use herbal medicine (which I call homeopathy :dontknow: ).

I do other things as well.. For example, if I have a cold I just make up a honey, lemon and ginger tea... Works so much better than any of the over the counter cold medicines I've tried... :dontknow:
    The water-based homeopathy is the only one. The rest are other branches of alternative medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hravan)

Homeopathy is diluting the medicine so much with water that it's barely there any more. The water has a 'memory' apparently.

You just use herbal medicines :P

ReputationRep:
    http://abchomeopathy.com/forum2.php/58092/

Was wondering if Homeopathy might have some sort of alternative method of contraception.
    :lol:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.