Turn on thread page Beta

Do you still use homeopathy? watch

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Not since I read 'Bad Science' by Ben Goldacre aha .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelbones)
    I use some homeopathic remedies, but not the water-based ones. The herbal-based ones are actually quite good (like belladonna for headaches, I've had very few since I started taking it).
    I've not had any headaches at all since moving to Loughborough university.

Does that mean the university cures headaches?? No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret_smile)
    I'm going to get negged to hell and back for this but never mind.

I have actually had some pretty good experiences with the "water based" homeopathy tablets. :dontknow:

May I emphasise though that I have only ever turned to homeopathy when modern medicine didn't offer me anything/couldn't help and I would always try modern medicine first.

I once had the most awful food poisoning. The type which is a bit more severe than just throwing up a bit. I was in total agony and got rushed to a&e. When I finally got seen by a doctor they just said that they couldn't do anything and I should take a paracetamol if they pain gets any worse.
    So I had to go home, still in severe pain and violently sick and my mums friend recommended arsenic.
    I was skeptical but decided it was worth a shot. The instructions read take two initial tablets and a further two tablets when symptoms return.
    The pain stopped within 10minutes. They then returned 20min later so I took another 2 tablets and the pain/sickness went again. This happened another 3 times and then I was fine. :dontknow:

I used to be a skeptic but after that I don't really criticise it anymore.
    What?? If the pain returned 20 mins later how did it work??

All you did was take some placebos, then the pain goes, then the pain comes back and goes again in a natural cycle, but since you took more placebos when it came back can you say its 100% definitely that medicine??

If it returned another 3 times it can't of done alot. It would have returned 3 times had you just drank water and took no medicine just paracetamol.

I don't understand why people believe in homeopathy, all food poisoning goes away eventually on its own, so just because it went away doesn't prove anything.

You can make that link with anything. I get tired walking up 4 flights of stairs. Someone tells me to get rid of the tired feeling in my legs I just tap them 3 times.

I tried it and within 10 minutes I had my breath back and felt totally full of energy again!!

It doesn't prove anything.

ReputationRep:
    My parents do. I just take it when they give it to me to get them to shut up.

ReputationRep:
    Why on EARTH do people still buy into this utter nonsense? AAHHH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insoms)
    What?? If the pain returned 20 mins later how did it work??

All you did was take some placebos, then the pain goes, then the pain comes back and goes again in a natural cycle, but since you took more placebos when it came back can you say its 100% definitely that medicine??

If it returned another 3 times it can't of done alot. It would have returned 3 times had you just drank water and took no medicine just paracetamol.

I don't understand why people believe in homeopathy, all food poisoning goes away eventually on its own, so just because it went away doesn't prove anything.

You can make that link with anything. I get tired walking up 4 flights of stairs. Someone tells me to get rid of the tired feeling in my legs I just tap them 3 times.

I tried it and within 10 minutes I had my breath back and felt totally full of energy again!!

It doesn't prove anything.
    I never said it proved anything either. I have never bought or used homeopathy except for this one time I was given it by a family friend. And I believe it helped me. That is all I am saying.

I was in pain continuously for 17hours and the pain hadn't reduced in the slightest if anything it was getting worse. Wthin 10min of taking these tablets the pain had gone for the first time in 17hours. Yeah the pangs came back but only a fraction of what they were and went as soon as I took the tablets again. :dontknow:

Maybe it was placebo.

But to me, I was in real pain and it helped within 10minutes. That is all I am saying. I may have been naturally getting over it for all I know.

I never used the word "prove" once and didn't say 100% anything.

I would never suggest someone uses homeopathy instead of modern medicine.

But if doctors say they can't do anything, it may be worth a go. Nothing to lose afterall.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, you see your idea is all very well and good, but you're missing out on a vital step in the homeopathic process: you have to hit the container ten times with a stick (I'm actually not making this up, this is genuinely how homeopathy 'works'). So just do that, and then your water will develop magical healing properties. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Ah, you see your idea is all very well and good, but you're missing out on a vital step in the homeopathic process: you have to hit the container ten times with a stick (I'm actually not making this up, this is genuinely how homeopathy 'works'). So just do that, and then your water will develop magical healing properties. :yes:
    Don't forget to say the magic words as you tap it. :wizard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret_smile)
    my mums friend recommended arsenic.
    You took arsenic?

Erm....ok.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenic_poisoning

Good job. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    You took arsenic?

Erm....ok.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenic_poisoning

Good job. :yy:
    That is the idea of homeopathy.

For example, you must have heard of arnica for bruises. If you eat excessive amounts of arnica it can cause bleeding etc. Yet arnica is widely used to heal bruises.
    The idea of homeopathy is that if you take a tiny amount of the 'poison' it triggers you body to react quicker in a healing process.

So if you are suffering from a type of poisoning, if you take arsenic (which is a poison) in a tiny amount there won't be enough to suffer symptoms of the poison, but your body will detect it quickly and respond to it thus speeding up the healing process.

That's the idea anyway.

Again, I'm not saying it works and I am not promoting it.
    Just explaining how it apparently works and saying I had a good experience when I used it.

ReputationRep:
    I dont use the tinctures when I found out about the way they were made on foetal tissue,ughh but I have found arnica is useul.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.