Turn on thread page Beta

What is your opinion of homeless people? watch

• View Poll Results: What is your opinion of homeless people?
    Feel sorry for them; try to help by giving what I can.
    28.99%
    Feel sorry for them, but I don't like to give them anything.
    46.38%
    It doesn't concern me / no opinion.
    11.59%
    Have no sympathy, would never consider giving them anything.
    1.45%
    It's their own fault, they should just get a job, and sort their life out.
    11.59%

ReputationRep:
    Im a 25 year old post graduate student and I have worked in the feild of mental health . With regards to the homeless question I can tell you now that you never know how you will end up and how things will affect you . The majority of people you see on the streets have some sort of dual diagnosis, that is they have a severe mental health problem such as schizophrenia or bipolar alongside a substance misuse problem .When you look into the background of their lives you begin to fully understand why they end up in the position that they end up . Horrendous cases of abuse and neglect from childhood upwards .Whereas if yourself or the majority of people would have someone to call on if they went through hard times i.e family or friends , these poor saps dont have no one .The very people who were supposed to be looking after them in their times of need abused and took advantage of them. Im no bleeding heart but there are some people who need more help than the average joe, the issue of mental health is very much negated in this country and its a massive problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishy786)
    What, If the homeless people want to go to prison, then they jolly well can

So instead of taxpayers paying prisoners to work, have shelter and eat food, we can use that same money to feed the homeless people on our streets.

Some prisons should turn into hostel types where the homeless people go and they can have food but stay there away from drink or drug problems. So instead of using our hard earned money to pay for the upkeep of convicted persons, we can feed and clothe the homeless people who have done nothing wrong.

However, if they do not want to go, then that is their problem but they should then not beg on the streets because the government will offer them a home, food, clothes and jobs.

Now who feels like dork.
    Well then why didn't you just say it like that?
    You'd have saved yourself some neg rep.
    (although I still don't completely agree with what your saying, I can seem sense behind it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsCrackFox)
    Well then why didn't you just say it like that?
    You'd have saved yourself some neg rep.
    (although I still don't completely agree with what your saying, I can seem sense behind it)
    Ha! I wanted to see how many neg reps I would get before people would actually ask me to explain my points!

What parts do you not agree with?

So you going to give me pos rep now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsystoleUK)
    Just wanted to get your opinion for use in some University work. Please answer in the poll above

What is your opinion of homeless people?

Edit: I know they all have their own circumstances and reasons for being homeless, but that's not the point of the poll; I just needed your initial reaction to homeless people on the street, asking for money or simply just being there.

Their personal reasons and factors etc are a different issue.

Cheers.
    I used to be overcome by guilt whenever I saw them. But then I went abroad several times and saw quite how different the culture of homelessness is in many continental countries. These persons often become artisans or musicians. This is like a small business. Furthermore to get a busking licence in the UK is free.
    However, this is not applicable to all of course, a majority probably are seeking money just to survive- for food and drink.

I think the government who have publicly spoken so warmly of charities, and more quietly have massively cut the housing benefits budget, should give more funds to The Samaritans, so they can help cope with this big problem. Also, some sort of coucelling support to try and get them back on track: to halt drug addiction - which like it or not may be where some of them spend their money and thus their health would get worse - and to try to get them back on their feet.

I do know that it's hard to get a job selling the big issue, as they already have enough salesman. I'm not a bum, I just had a chat with a regular saleman recently and he's been doing it for some time and knows some of the main players.

ReputationRep:
    I never judge homeless people, each have their own unique circumstances that have led to them being homeless. They're not all lazy smackheads looking to fund a heroin addiction.

For instance there is a homeless guy who spent 10 years living in a bus shelter in Peterborough. The reason he was homeless is because of a house fire, but it wasn't the loss of property that bothered him. His wife died in the blaze. After that event he couldn't bare to live in a house again because it brought back all the painful memories, so he took to living in a bus shelter not far from where his house once stood. Awfully sad and tragic. He's pretty famous around these parts, a theatre company even put on a production about his life. And locals used to bring him clothes and warm food on a regular basis. He no longer lives in the bus shelter now, he's moved into supported accommodation because of his failing health.

ReputationRep:
    As has been said before, many of them suffer from mental health and other associated problems which makes functioning in normal society difficult. I feel sorry for them, but there's not a lot that can be done - yes, by all means, have homeless shelters provided and so forth, but it's treating the issue rather than curing it.

I don't give money to beggars - at least not often - just because it's not something I'd think to do. I don't really have a problem with the idea, as some people do - I can't say I'd even mind them spending my money on alcohol or whatever.

(Original post by MrsCrackFox)
    To those who said they should get a job...
    it is ****ing impossible for a homeless person to get a job
    Utter rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    How can a homeless person get a job if they have no forwarding address. THERE HOMELESS! unless you mean by getting a job selling the big issue

ReputationRep:
    Homelessness is a serious problem for the UK, I've seen estimates of the number of homeless people being as high as 300,000, i.e. the population of a medium-sized city. That is completely unacceptable - are we as a society really prepared to turn our back on such a large number of people? I also find it appalling how the government has given no consideration whatsoever as to solving the horrific circle of homelessness that most find themselves in. When they become homeless, they can no longer have a bank account, and without a bank account it's hard to get a stable, legitimate job, and without a stable job it's hard to have a consistent income, and without a consistent income it's hard to save money. There has to be some kind of solution - some kind of centre that the government provides free of charge for homeless people to use as a residency address (even though they wouldn't live there) that can organise and keep safe mail, and support their safety (regular PCSO visits) and health (residency means you can access a GP) would be a good idea, I think.

But what's worse than the number of people who are homeless is the general attitude towards the homeless - that it's OK to denigrate them, ignore them, treat them as filth, even abuse them. I daresay a few people wouldn't care if a homeless person was killed in their neighbourhood.

I give change to beggars if I've got some. I'm not very good with people in general otherwise I'd probably help out at a homeless shelter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Homelessness is a serious problem for the UK, I've seen estimates of the number of homeless people being as high as 300,000, i.e. the population of a medium-sized city. That is completely unacceptable - are we as a society really prepared to turn our back on such a large number of people? I also find it appalling how the government has given no consideration whatsoever as to solving the horrific circle of homelessness that most find themselves in. When they become homeless, they can no longer have a bank account, and without a bank account it's hard to get a stable job, and without a stable job it's hard to have a consistent income, and without a consistent income it's hard to save money. There has to be some kind of solution - some kind of residency address that the government provides free of charge, even though nobody lives there?

But what's worse than the number of people who are homeless is the general attitude towards the homeless - that it's OK to denigrate them, ignore them, treat them as filth, even abuse them. I daresay a few people wouldn't care if a homeless person was killed in their neighbourhood.

I give change to beggars if I've got some. I'm not very good with people in general otherwise I'd probably help out at a homeless shelter.

Spot on. :yy:

Some of the replies here are horrifying and completely symptomatic of our self-obsessed society. Why do you see yourself as superior to someone else just because you have a few extra metres of living space? Being homeless isn't a crime ffs. Why is it acceptable for us to treat a homeless person with more contempt and derision than an actual criminal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    As has been said before, many of them suffer from mental health and other associated problems which makes functioning in normal society difficult. I feel sorry for them, but there's not a lot that can be done - yes, by all means, have homeless shelters provided and so forth, but it's treating the issue rather than curing it.

I don't give money to beggars - at least not often - just because it's not something I'd think to do. I don't really have a problem with the idea, as some people do - I can't say I'd even mind them spending my money on alcohol or whatever.

Utter rubbish.
    No it is ****ing not.
    It is impossible for someone to have an official job when they have no address. In case you haven't realised you need a social security card, an address, a form of ID like a drivers license or birth certificate, and references to get any job.
    Apart from selling the Big Issue for a few pound every now and then.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for them, sometimes I give them money sometimes I don't. There is no telling how a person might have become homeless so it's important not to judge.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.