Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cameron is a liar, how can we afford war when we're broke? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    Yesterday, the military spent about 50 million on weapons and fuel. We could of spent that much more wisely, than intervening with other peoples problems. America would have sorted it anyway.
    Actually, America wouldn't have sorted it. Through this whole thing with the UN resolution, they've been saying that they won't enforce it without support from Europe and Arab nations. France have been trying to push it through more than Britain. If you want to say someone will sort it, it will have to be France.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    Of course, a dictator that has ruled by force for 41 years after taking the position by force, terrorising his people, not allowing any freedom of the association, speech or otherwise, one that has stolen private property and the gains from oil (corruption), and one that claims he isn't killing his own people as he is (lying).

Compare this to Cameron, a leader who has been democratically elected, and has ruled for 10 months. He hasn't plundered private property (outside of the usual - since he hasn't abolished taxation), he hasn't shown corruption, indeed his government have made government far more transparent with the publishing of all items of spending over £250, as for lying, well, again, no more than any politician, but the vast majority of the government programme was in the Conservative manifesto, including (before you say it), tuition fee reform and NHS reform. Furthermore, and crucially, he allows people to voice their displeasure, through protest, journalism, or just in conversation - this is something we really do take for granted, and your post above, but reversed would have you in jail in Libya. I don't think you really realise how bad the situation is under these tyrannical governments.
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Because, clearly, Cameron is killing his own people and taking away basic human rights. Of course.

Gaddafi is an insane dictator and needs to be stopped.
    did I state gaddafi was a good man?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humz7)
    No, you said it was hypocritical of Cameron to call Gaddafi a liar or corrupt. Indeed, you went as far as to say that Cameron is the liar, suggesting that Gaddafi wasn't. It certainly isn't hypocritical for Cameron to criticise Gaddafi, especially when you compare the actions of the two leaders - as I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    Either we're broke, or we're not broke.

If we're broke then how can we afford another pointless war in Libya the outcome of which is inevitably Iraq 2, another failed state?

If we're not broke, then why so much budget cuts in government?

And didn't Cameron say the British people will be consulted in case of another war? And that he learnt from the lessons of Tony Bliar?

What a liar Cameron is, a liar AND Conservative. Won't see me voting for this clown next election.
    Its not a war.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Why don't people on this forum understand the difference between a war and a no fly zone? Once Gadaffi's air defense is taking out all that is going to happen is we shoot up some tanks every couple of days.
    Oh really? When did tanks start flying?

ReputationRep:
    You arnt getting the reason why were are there along with many other nations. We are there to defend the Libyan people. The UN have said its legal to use more than a no-fly zone to defend them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humz7)
    Indeed not. But you implied Cameron was as bad as Gaddafi, which is clearly a huge oversimplification because you don't like him.

ReputationRep:
    What confused me was George Osbourne on the Andrew Marr show, saying we are going to have the 4th highest defence budget in Europe and talking about new weapons the nation is gonna buy. i know defence is important, but how can we afford it if we're this broke and the nhs and education are really suffering???????

ReputationRep:
    What else would you expect from a Tory?

ReputationRep:
    OP is a complete tool.

Don't worry, the cheaper oil that we are going to receive in return will cover the expenses of the war, but you will pay higher fuel taxes, the government needs more money. Politicians don't go to war because they are humanitarians.

And don't worry about how much our missiles cost, they have an expiry day, we must use them or decommission them after this date. Using them is a much cheaper option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel08)
    What confused me was George Osbourne on the Andrew Marr show, saying we are going to have the 4th highest defence budget in Europe and talking about new weapons the nation is gonna buy. i know defence is important, but how can we afford it if we're this broke and the nhs and education are really suffering???????
    We cant just stop all goverment spending. The gov are already cutting a huge amount from services and defence. We also have to update old tech and get new weapons in to defend ourselves.

People dont realise that yes we are broke but its going to take years of slowly repaying that debt to get us out of this mess.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The resolution is to protect civilians

A senior official travelling with President Obama in Brazil, tells Reuters: "The resolution endorsed by Arabs and the UNSC (United\rNations Security Council) included 'all necessary measures' to protect civilians, which we made very clear includes, but goes beyond, a no-fly zone."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Yes but nothing near the billions that Iraq cost. We have more than enough money to absorb the cost of what are essentially low profile operations compared to something like Afghanistan or Iraq. When you're talking about budget deficits of billions, spending £m isn't really a deal in any way. A good deal of the costs are already within the MOD's operating costs, the only extras being things like fuel, maintaining jets in Italy etc.
    Whilst the price may not be too much of a issue (although it does all add up) the other problem, not really related to this topic, is that the RAF have only so many planes to transport load/equipment/personnel/etc that now have to do many more missions and flights than their already hectic workload permits. Bottom line though, the man hours that goes into this whole operation is far greater then I think you realise.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Either we're broke, or we're not broke.

If we're broke then how can we afford another pointless war in Libya the outcome of which is inevitably Iraq 2, another failed state?

If we're not broke, then why so much budget cuts in government?

And didn't Cameron say the British people will be consulted in case of another war? And that he learnt from the lessons of Tony Bliar?

What a liar Cameron is, a liar AND Conservative. Won't see me voting for this clown next election.

(Original post by The_Great_One)
    This isnt a war and its with the UN britain only has a very small part to play in this.

The Real One and The Great One...

Brothers ??

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to have trusted Cameron in the first place to call him a liar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R.B.G)
    The Japaneese are pre-occupied at the minute.
    tragic but yet hilarious

ReputationRep:
    because when we take every last drop of oil from Libya and sell it, we'll be loaded and it will all have paid off.

ReputationRep:
    Democracy is worth fighting for, aslong as it is justified. Imagine if Britain was an Autocracy, and our people were beaten, raped and killed on a daily basis to make sure we knew who was in charge. Would you want another country to intervene?

This is a matter of conscience, I don't think anyone watching these events knowing they can do something and dont can live with themselves. Their hands would be just as tainted with blood as the Pro-Gaddafi forces doing the killing.

Yes I understand that we were lied to once before in Iraq. I also know that 1million Iraqi civilians have died because of US, we were lead into IRAQ because of WMD's, but it was really to maintain the Petrodollar as a means of Trading oil, and therefore American Economic Supremecy.

Were not invading Libya, we've created a No-Fly zone, so Gaddaffi can no longer use the air to controll key areas. The war will be settled on ground, with Mirage and Typhoons in the sky taking out Gaddaffi defences, the Rebels will be able to do the rest - though we need to arm them.

The money to arm them can be payed back in oil at a later time, this would benefit EVERYONE. A liberal Libya who has massive oil reserves that can now be tapped and sold, increasing supply and reducing oil prices as well as supplying us with oil to pay back for the arms sold to them. Everyone wins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinnamon_Twist)
    because when we take every last drop of oil from Libya and sell it, we'll be loaded and it will all have paid off.
    This is a ridiculous statement

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.