Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Keep quiet about it for a while (to detract attention from yourself) then chuck all their dirty plates in the bin and empty it

No-one saw you do it....

--------------

(Original post by jaydoh)
    Depends on how much money you have.
    And the uni rules about electrical stuff. I almost had a scuffle with the housekeeper during room inspection when she tried to "confiscate" my hair straighteners!

ReputationRep:
    At least you havent just been woken up at 1am by half your flat, wanting you to help carry another flatmate up 2 flights of stairs! She was wriggling and kicking and screaming, and then bit someone.
    But I guess at least I didnt have to carry her back from the union (thats a good 20 minutes away walking normally- apparantly 45 odd for them!)
    And everyone has at least one messy housemate- just leave her stuff to one side, and just look after yourself. If she gets stressy at you, give as good as you get. You have just as much right to live there as she does!

ReputationRep:
    i got one who has her boyfriend living in her room (we in halls he doesnt pay anything extra) and we just do our own washing up but it always seems like its just me doing anything grrr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarts_n_Vicars)
    And the uni rules about electrical stuff. I almost had a scuffle with the housekeeper during room inspection when she tried to "confiscate" my hair straighteners!
    Hope you won.

When I was in halls, I got a note through my door saying that I had a fridge and that I had to fill in some disclaimer form lest it be 'confiscated'.

I returned a note pointing out that it was not a fridge but in fact a cooler, there was nothing in my lease preventing me from having one and if it was even moved one inch I would be going to the police and reporting it as theft.

ReputationRep:
    Blimey, flatmate politics :eek: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hh!!!!

ReputationRep:
    all these stories make me look forward to going to uni and living there
    haha...not

ReputationRep:
    Its a nightmare getting woken up by people at 3-4am and constant talking shouting screaming from 4-10pm before going out and you have work to do !

Complaining doesnt help they know who complained they get warnings and gang up on you making it worse !

Open the window it cuts their noise and also GET USED TO IT !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pete77)
    Its a nightmare getting woken up by people at 3-4am and constant talking shouting screaming from 4-10pm before going out and you have work to do !

Complaining doesnt help they know who complained they get warnings and gang up on you making it worse !

Open the window it cuts their noise and also GET USED TO IT !
    TOTALLY agree. I live over the worst offender ever (DJ at the union...lucky me) and despite constant warnings & fines after my numerous complaints, accommodation peeps still won't move him. I'm in the "quiet" halls for mature/final year students....he's obviously far more suited to the freshers halls but all the rules seem to be on his side.....how many times does he have to break the rules lol

Other thing, aside from opening the windows which does help, is get something like an electric fan that makes a "whirring" noise...trust me your ears tune in to that and it can cover a lot of yelling/screaming/dance music/noisy sex etc

ReputationRep:
    I get a big cardboard box label it with her name then wenevr she leaves something lying around put it in the box leave the box somewhere really obvious so evryone can see it. She might eventually be embarrassed enuff to tidy it up if its quite obviously all her stuff and it wnt be in your way as much

ReputationRep:
    everybody has this problem...shove it to one side in a box soemwhere out the way. annoying tho isnt it! i dont get how people can live like that!

ReputationRep:
    Someone's left the ironing board in front of the main entrance-grr!Well,I'm not moving it.

The bin is full and the person whose job it is has not taken it out.I'm not doing it because when it was my week to do the bin and it was full,no one else took it out,they waited for me to come home.

Our kitchen is a tip,I have a load of washing up to do but can't because some ******** has left their washed pots on the draining rack.Again,I'm not moving other people's stuff out of the way for them.

The kitchen table is repulsive-whoever is supposed to wipe it hasn't and literally,I can't eat there.I have to bring my food to my room!Grr!

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't she run out of stuff i mean i only have two bowls, 4 plates and two mugs and if i didn't wash them up i'd end up very quickly with nothing to eat off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djk_99)
    At least you havent just been woken up at 1am by half your flat, wanting you to help carry another flatmate up 2 flights of stairs! She was wriggling and kicking and screaming, and then bit someone.
    But I guess at least I didnt have to carry her back from the union (thats a good 20 minutes away walking normally- apparantly 45 odd for them!)
    And everyone has at least one messy housemate- just leave her stuff to one side, and just look after yourself. If she gets stressy at you, give as good as you get. You have just as much right to live there as she does!
    Yes everyone has a messy housemate, apparently that is me on my floor but at least i keep my mess to my room and i clean up after myself in all the shared places i.e. kitchen, communal room, landing and i do my own washing up. I'm even nice enough to do my washing up in my room, so i don't have to do it straight away, i can do it when i like without leaving it in peoples way.

ReputationRep:
    I used to share a room with a guy who was a real pain in the arse. He'd stay out for hours getting drunk out of his mind, then he'd come rushing in at 3am - 4am laughing and shouting. Then he'd spend the next couple of hours trying to persuade me not to go back to sleep, because sleep was for "gays". Needless to say I almost killed him on more than one occasion.

To top it all off, he was unbelievably messy and had a habit of leaving his underwear all over the damn place, just the underwear.

Nothing do to with washing dishes I admit, but still annoying.

ReputationRep:
    i live with my boyf now- it's so great! i don't mind the fact that i do most of the cooking and cleaning cos it just seems easier that way (he works all day and i'm a student) so when the kitchen's a mess-i am the only one to clean it, i'm generally the one who made the mess, and i dont need to get annoyed that someone else has made a mess and been lazy!
    also as we share all the food i don't get annoyed that someone's finished off the last of the my milk or something!
    i don't have to worry about loud music keeping me awake either!
    such a relief from last couple of years of communal living! i swear when you live in a shared house even the best of mates will get annoyed with eachother.

ReputationRep:
    I decided to come back here and live with my old mother for a while, at least I have some control over her as opposed to the lunatic I was living with before.

ReputationRep:
    The only problem we have in our halls is to do with drinking, I mean yeah we all go out, have a laugh, some get more drunk than others but its fine, cos we all come back together ans nobody gets so drunk that they need to be carried back. even wehn only one or two of us go out or one comes back later than the rest we are sober enough to try and be quiet for the others who maybe asleep. Its just we have this one girl who lives next door to me and her drinking is appalling, she will go downstairs and the boys don't mind her joining their circle we go down to see if she's alright and the boys say yeah she's fine we'll bring her back up later and of course they do, but next morning we find out that although they were kind enough to bring her back safely they are all mad at her, for stripping off or getting too gobby or something. The one time i got mad at her i had been out with my boyfriend and got absolutely smashed, i had the wrost hangover in the world i had asked her to be quiet, but what had actually happened with her was she had stopped drink at 5.30 that morning and started again at 11. And i thought i was bad drinker.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.