Turn on thread page Beta

TheFatMan needs to lose his fat. NOW! watch

ReputationRep:
    Of course I'm not happy! Look at me, I'm a big fat slob. I've got bigger titties than you do. I've got more chins than a Chinese phonebook. I've not seen my willie in two years, which is long enough to declare it legally dead.
    Fat *******

Hello there,

I've been fat for a few years now. Not obese, just a bit overweight. I can still see my willy, by the way. Anyway, I figured I would probably be a lot sexier if I lost all my chub. So I decided to make a change. No more cream cakes and jam doughnuts and hot dogs and chips and pizza and fizzy drinks and chocolate and ice cream and pie and all those other delicious foods which will clog my arteries and leave me lying dead in a pool of my own filth by the time I am 30. I'm gonna become sexy once again :sexface:

I took the first step today. I brought some dumbbells. Now I am sitting here staring at them in fear. I need help, I have no idea what I am doing. Thats where you lot come in. I will post here regularly, updating you with my progress. I may even throw in a few pics every now and then :sexface:. All you other fatties can feel free to join me!

I will lose it all over the next six months- that is my goal. Who is with me?

TheFatMan

EDIT: YEAH LOOL this was time ago, I am nearly there now boys and gyals. No worries. Nuff love x

ReputationRep:
    Heres my details:

5'10
    13stone9
    This gives me a BMI of 27.39, putting me right in the middle of the overweight section on the NHS bmi calculator thingy

I think I can lose it all by jogging and weights. How much should I lift at first? How often? how much should I run? What should I eat? How long will it take? I'm full of questions (and fat) but I have no answers

ReputationRep:
    Oh bless.

Okay, firstly: the fit men of TSR are about to descend and tell you that you must immediately join a gym and start doing Starting Strength. (http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki)

They're right, but if you're scared of dumbbells, that's probably too scary just now!

First off, learn to use the dumbbells, and body weight exercises. That way at least you can go to a gym without freaking out even if you're not ready to test barbells yet.

Start doing (plenty of videos on youtube):
    - Front raises
    - Side raises
    - Rear delt raises
    - Curls
    - Tricep kickbacks
    - Trap raises
    - Flies
    - Chest (bench) presses
    - Tricep dips
    - Push ups (regular and tricep)
    - Squats (even bodyweight will do some good if you do enough of them! I never did weighted squats while rowing)
    - Planks

How heavy are your dumbbells?

Essentially, don't feel like you have to deprive yourself of everything. It's actually a lot easier to give up junk completely than let yourself have just some, but if you try to immediately eat completely clean and never have any sugar you're going to start crying and give up after a week. So be restrained. Keep a food diary if it helps. Don't eat less than your BMR, otherwise you'll probably just get weak and - again - give up.

ReputationRep:
    It's good that you realise the gravity of your situation, which is being a fat tub of ****.

You need to keep in mind that losing weight is a simple matter. Eat less. Or don't eat. Every fat person will be slimmer if they cut their daily intake of calories by half. Guaranteed.

Exercising will do nothing if it increases your appetite and you eat more. You don't need to exercise to lose weight, that's a common misconception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeAndTheFatMan)
    I think I can lose it all by jogging and weights. How much should I lift at first?
    Start low and work your way up. Essentially, keep increasing weight until you can barely finish the last of 3x12 (with a 2 minute gap in between sets). When you can just about finish the last set (but only just) that's your right weight.
    How often?
    3 times a week (more and your muscles won't heal as well)
    how much should I run?
    As much as you can!
    What should I eat?
    Clean food. Lots of veg, and lots of protein.
    How long will it take?
    How long is a piece of string? Essentially 3500kcal is one pound of fat. So say you want to lose 2 stone:
    - 2 x 14 = 28lb
    - 28lb x 3500 = 98000kcal
    - Let's say you burn 500kcal a day with a really long run or some weights that takes 196 days. Call it 7 months.

But if you put on enough muscle you can lose far more than that (in terms of fat). If you are lazy it'll take far longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Oh bless.

Okay, firstly: the fit men of TSR are about to descend and tell you that you must immediately join a gym and start doing Starting Strength. (http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki)

They're right, but if you're scared of dumbbells, that's probably too scary just now!

First off, learn to use the dumbbells, and body weight exercises. That way at least you can go to a gym without freaking out even if you're not ready to test barbells yet.

- Front raises
    - Side raises
    - Rear delt raises
    - Curls
    - Tricep kickbacks
    - Trap raises
    - Flies
    - Chest (bench) presses
    - Tricep dips
    - Squats (even bodyweight will do some good if you do enough of them! I never did weighted squats while rowing)
    - Planks

Essentially, don't feel like you have to deprive yourself of everything. It's actually a lot easier to give up junk completely than let yourself have just some, but if you try to immediately eat completely clean and never have any sugar you're going to start crying and give up after a week. So be restrained. Keep a food diary if it helps. Don't eat less than your BMR, otherwise you'll probably just get weak and - again - give up.
    I have these http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...EDUMBBELLS.htm

Exercising should be a piece of cake . Its the diet change which always beats me. But I think I can do it. I wont start crying hopefully. I might.
    Also, gyms scare me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    It's good that you realise the gravity of your situation, which is being a fat tub of ****.

You need to keep in mind that losing weight is a simple matter. Eat less. Or don't eat. Every fat person will be slimmer if they cut their daily intake of calories by half. Guaranteed.

Exercising will do nothing if it increases your appetite and you eat more. You don't need to exercise to lose weight, that's a common misconception.
    I have to eat, or I will die. I don't eat much anyway, its just that the stuff I do eat is crap.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to lose weight first and most important step is proper regime.Healhty food only,no soda and sweets.No alchohol,proper sleep.Cardio 5-7 times a week w/o overtraining.Few weeks later introduce pull-ups,push-ups,dips,squats(w/o weight) and some dumbbell exercises.Don't quit.No really,DON'T quit.

ReputationRep:
    Start low and work your way up. Essentially, keep increasing weight until you can barely finish the last of 3x12 (with a 2 minute gap in between sets). When you can just about finish the last set (but only just) that's your right weight.
    Right. I have these weights btw http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...EDUMBBELLS.htm
    3 times a week (more and your muscles won't heal as well)
    Sounds simple enough
    As much as you can!
    When I used to jog I could only manage 25 minutes. Would 3 days a week be enough?
    Clean food. Lots of veg, and lots of protein.

How long is a piece of string? Essentially 3500kcal is one pound of fat. So say you want to lose 2 stone:
    - 2 x 14 = 28lb
    - 28lb x 3500 = 98000kcal
    - Let's say you burn 500kcal a day with a really long run or some weights that takes 196 days. Call it 7 months.

But if you put on enough muscle you can lose far more than that (in terms of fat). If you are lazy it'll take far longer.
    Well, if I lose 2 stone I will be a 'healthy weight' so I will try to lose about that much. 7 months sounds reasonable, 6 would be ideal, but like you said it is dependent on how hard I work. I will try not to be lazy.

ReputationRep:
    I have to eat, or I will die. I don't eat much anyway, its just that the stuff I do eat is crap.

Loads of people do a 40 day water fast around lent.
    Millions of people do liquid fasts.

Just sayin'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astrum)
    If you want to lose weight first and most important step is proper regime.Healhty food only,no soda and sweets.No alchohol,proper sleep.Cardio 5-7 times a week w/o overtraining.Few weeks later introduce pull-ups,push-ups,dips,squats(w/o weight) and some dumbbell exercises.Don't quit.No really,DON'T quit.
    Cardio is stuff like jogging, right? I can probably manage 5 times a week. I will not quit. I WILL NOT GIVE UP! YES I CAN!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    Loads of people do a 40 day water fast around lent.
    Millions of people do liquid fasts.

Just sayin'.
    Yeah, but I'm a wimp.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with your journey OP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    Good luck with your journey OP!
    Thanks. I was watching Kick ass on sky movies last night, and it inspired me somehow.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but I'm a wimp.
    Haha, fair enough :P
    Probably not so good for your digestive system anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'm going to have a go on the dumbbells now.
    I'm going to copy this guys workout

Is it good?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck op, post any specific questions in the ask powerlifter thread if you want.

Also have a look at the thread "For the girls, diet toning and excercise a basic guide" - it may say for the girls simply because at the time we were inundated with gazillion women on fad diets - the principles remain the same.

ReputationRep:
    Oh bless.

- Front raises
    - Side raises
    - Rear delt raises
    - Curls
    - Tricep kickbacks
    - Trap raises
    - Flies
    - Chest (bench) presses
    - Tricep dips
    - Planks

Tricep kickbacks!!!! Just LOL

You do realise if the OP performed this list of exercises he would look like the hunchback of Notre Dame in no time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloodbath)
    Tricep kickbacks!!!! Just LOLYou do realise if the OP performed this list of exercises he would look like the hunchback of Notre Dame in no time

Firstly, why "Just LOL"? Dips and pushups get boring, so it's nice to be able to mix them up.

Secondly, no he won't. You know why? Because he's trying to lose weight. If he's eating less than he's using then he won't be putting on any muscle at all. Also because it's a frankly stupid comment and untrue, but mainly because basic physiology will stop him from putting on muscle at the same time as losing flab.

ReputationRep:

Firstly, why "Just LOL"? Dips and pushups get boring, so it's nice to be able to mix them up.

Secondly, no he won't. You know why? Because he's trying to lose weight. If he's eating less than he's using then he won't be putting on any muscle at all. Also because it's a frankly stupid comment and untrue, but mainly because basic physiology will stop him from putting on muscle at the same time as losing flab.
    Maybe writing in an equally grotesque colour will help me get in touch with my feminine side, as I'm assuming that anyone who has such poor colour coordination must indeed be female
    Joking aside (and because black is the colour of death),although tricep kickbacks may be commonly seen being performed by misguided females, they are really quite pointless unless you are an advanced body-builder.

Most people have overdeveloped front delts, whether it be from hunching over at the computer or bench pressing, so doing more front delt work than back is really going to do nothing but cripple the poor guy (and I do believe that a noob, although on a calorie deficit, he will still make some muscle and strength gains be them not as good as someone on a caloric excess )

He needs to do stuff that will overload his CNS, like squats, deads, military presses, pullups, ring dips, rows ect. And it wouldn't be a bad idea for him to increase mobility/flexibility ect

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 13, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.