Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im likely to be firming Glasgow and have been looking at the accommodation on their website. I like the look of cairncross house but could anyone answer me a few questions:

Whats the area like, noisy, parties. I don't want it to be dead, but don't want to be kept up every night?
    What have your experiences here been like, would u reccommend it?
    How many people is there to each kitchen, tiolet shower etc etc?

Thanks in advance :P

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm staying at Cairncross at the moment and I quite like the area. There's a pub right next to the halls and obviously you get noisy groups of students walking past sometimes, but apart from that it's a quiet area.
    Inside the halls it really depends on how lucky you are with the people you're surrounded by. I would consider myself quite lucky because the people I'm sharing a kitchen with are all decent. There are parties occasionally but I've only really got annoyed about people being too noisy a few times. However, a friend of mine stayed here last year and she said she couldn't wait to get out because it was so noisy. Others find it too quiet. So yeah, it's different for everyone.

You'll be sharing a kitchen with about 7-9 people, but the kitchens are quite spacious, there are two fridges, cookers, kettles, sinks so you don't really get in each others way. Unfortunately some kitchens (like the one I'm using) don't have windows so I'm finding it a bit depressing to spend much time in it. The kitchen is cleaned once a week but there's a weekly kitchen rota so you will be responsible for taking the rubbish out, keeping the kitchen reasonably tidy every now and then.

There are usually 2/3 toilets and showers next to each other. I don't actually know how many people are using these. Occasionally you will have to wait until you get into the bathroom, but you will quickly find out when most people are having a shower so you can just go at less busy times.
    The toilets/showers are cleaned every day apart from the weekend so they're generally quite clean.

Hmm...I can't think of anything else...but I would recommend Cairncross House. It's in a nice area, close to uni, close to the city centre, and it's sociable, but not too noisy. Oh yeah, and the staff is also really friendly.
    I'm looking forward to not staying in halls anymore, but for the first year it's definitely a good decision to come here.

Hope that helps.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.