Turn on thread page Beta

http://www.infovisual.info/03/048_en.html

Ear hurts when I put my finger in my left ear, clean my left ear or press on the "external auditory meatus" area. Any ideas what it could be? It's kinda painful when I press it lol. My right ear is fine however.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like otitis externa, probably precipitated by 'cleaning' your ears out, particularly if you're using cotton buds or similar. The condition will mostly settle by itself, just keep clean by rinsing with lukewarm water, and avoiding inserting anything in there. If it doesn't settle you could see your GP to consider steroid ear drops/spray and/or antibiotic drops

ReputationRep:
    Ohh right, thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Take the penis out it! Sorry.
    You probably have an inner ear infection go to the doctors they'll give you something for it.

ReputationRep:
    I am 90% sure it's a bacterial infection in the ear. I had the same problem. My doctor prescribed me some form of ciprofloxacin drops. I used these ear drops for 2 weeks, 2 times a day....and right after 1 week of usage I had a significant reduction in my ear pain, after 9 or 10 days...complete recovery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolDude)
    I am 90% sure it's a bacterial infection in the ear. I had the same problem. My doctor prescribed me some form of ciprofloxacin drops. I used these ear drops for 2 weeks, 2 times a day....and right after 1 week of usage I had a significant reduction in my ear pain, after 9 or 10 days...complete recovery.
    EDIT: I forgot to mention.....don't count on my advice a 100%, consult a GP to make sure.

ReputationRep:
    I've found a few drops of olive oil, into the ear twice a day works well. I get ear infections a LOT unfortunately, so I'm used to it

I'm not a doctor though, so, as CoolDude said with his advice, see a GP.

Damn. I now feel a lump on the bottom ring of the ear before I enter the ear hole with my finger

Is this bad?

Sounds like you're all right.

LOL! Get it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Damn. I now feel a lump on the bottom ring of the ear before I enter the ear hole with my finger

Is this bad?
    I get this a lot, it's kind of like a spot... but not. Is it painful to press but doesn't hurt otherwise? (unless you've just been pressing it).

If it's the same thing it'll go away by itself provided you leave it be. If it's not gone in a few days then perhaps see your doctor if there's no change.

The cause of such a swelling would just be from poking it too often or something.

Yep it's painful to press it, but when I leave it, then it doesn't hurt. I feel like it's closing my ear up though LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yep it's painful to press it, but when I leave it, then it doesn't hurt. I feel like it's closing my ear up though LOL
    I have had exactly this before and it does clear up very easily. Though that's if you just want to take my word on it, I might be wrong! I'm not sure what causes it, perhaps bacteria or something.

Just try to keep it clean with a seasalt wash or something.

Ahh right ok.

How long should I leave it before I should notice a difference?

It's going away!!! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j00ni)
    Sounds like otitis externa, probably precipitated by 'cleaning' your ears out, particularly if you're using cotton buds or similar. The condition will mostly settle by itself, just keep clean by rinsingr4 with lukewarm water, and avoiding inserting anything in there. If it doesn't settle you could see your GP to consider steroid ear drops/spray and/or antibiotic drops
    That sounds good, but it is a little difficult to do it. I have similar experience.

I've just watched embarassing bodies and they said it's dangerous to clean your ears with cotton buds wtf? I sometimes use a pen or a lollypop stick, but that's about it :P

I won't be doing that ever again xD

But seriously wtf? They said they clean themselves on their own? I doubt it since you sometimes see people with ear wax in their ears :P - and they say use a wet cloth, hmmm...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.