The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -Taz-
I see your point. i'm not sure now :/

BTW guys, i've got 2 weeks working with a charity - Vitalise - during the summer. :banana2:

Starting from the 23rd of July - up to the 6th of August.

Do you think i should book the UKCAT before or after?

How's revision going for everyone - i've stalled again after a good couple of days. Chemistry is soo boring...

Original post by laurenl93
I'm doing mine in august, like a weekbefore results or something, hopefully by then the high proportion of vodka in my blood from post exam drinking(s) will have removed itself so I can do lethal in the ukcat :sexface:

Oh god I'm doing chemistry now, the Mark scheme is doing my head in cus it's so unspecific kn what answers it wants in the question but dead specific in the Mark scheme. I lost a Mark for not explaining the term conjugated system when I was using it in my answer to e plain the hard question they were asking me, SURELY IF I USED THE SODDING WORD THEN I KNOW WHAT IT MEANS. and then in another exam paper you DIDN'T get a markfor explaining it but did get the Mark for explaining the hard stuff in the question.

Salters. You bastards.

Original post by twelve
Ahh, you're doing Salters as well! :/ The most annoying thing is how repetitive the old papers are, but the new ones are just not. Leads you into a false sense of security...

At least there are some pretty standard questions they ask, and even though it seems vague, you can write pretty much the same thing again - like if the question was something along the lines of why transition metals are coloured, and how the ligands alter colour, you could always say;
Ligands cause the d orbitals to split in the transition metal.
When an electron becomes excited, it jumps from the lower energy level to the higher enery level(produced by the splitting)
the energy absorbed to do this is related to a frequency of visible light by (delta)E=hv
the complementary colour is reflected, and this is the colour the metal appears
Different ligands cause different splitting of the orbitals, so a different energy gap, so different colours seen.

I've just learnt answers to questions like that, cause even if its only 3 marks, I'll get them, but I'll get five marks if its worth five marks :/

Don't get me started on edexcel guys!
Be thankful that your textbook doesn't contain several errors and you're expected to know in great detail something that's not even mentioned in the syllabus..
I won't say more than that or i'll write an essay..

But re UKCAT, i plan to book last week in july/first week in august.
Plenty of time to revise but i'll know where i stand with it before results day
Reply 2361
I'd do it as late as possible, but book it early so the date's available, that way you have more time to prepare? but less time to decide where to apply probably
Original post by dmz
I'd do it as late as possible, but book it early so the date's available, that way you have more time to prepare? but less time to decide where to apply probably

This was my plan initially.
Was going to physically book it last exam date 24th june for the 31st august - giving me like 2 months to revise
Then my mum made a very compelling argument about how i'd just lose the momentum if i leave it too late
I had to rethink cos she knows exactly what i'm like and has a habit of being right all the time :rolleyes:
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
This was my plan initially.
Was going to physically book it last exam date 24th june for the 31st august - giving me like 2 months to revise
Then my mum made a very compelling argument about how i'd just lose the momentum if i leave it too late
I had to rethink cos she knows exactly what i'm like and has a habit of being right all the time :rolleyes:

Mums have a weird ability to know things before they happen...:redface:
Reply 2364
Haha I know, the things she accuses nd of before I even do it. you'd think she was giving me the ideas
Original post by dmz
Haha I know, the things she accuses nd of before I even do it. you'd think she was giving me the ideas

:lol: EXACTLY!!

You sometimes wish you'd done it, cause then it'd be fair to sit and listen the lecture :colonhash:
Reply 2366
Original post by futuredoc77
:lol: EXACTLY!!

You sometimes wish you'd done it, cause then it'd be fair to sit and listen the lecture :colonhash:

Haha :yep:
the lectures are horrible! I'm there praying in my heart 'pls Just slap me and let me go' Haha. The one before uni I'm not looking forward to
Original post by dmz
Haha :yep:
the lectures are horrible! I'm there praying in my heart 'pls Just slap me and let me go' Haha. The one before uni I'm not looking forward to

Uni :daydreaming:
Reply 2368
Uni :daydreaming:

are you full blown nocturnal now?

Think I'm gonna go to the gym? not in work till half 9. Really hungry tho.
Reply 2369
been trying to understand your Sig btw
Original post by dmz
are you full blown nocturnal now?

Think I'm gonna go to the gym? not in work till half 9. Really hungry tho.

It seems so :erm:
Why are you up so early though?

In less than an hour, I would have been on TSR for 12 hours straight :proud:
I wonder if I've managed to post 100 posts in the past 24 hours... pretty sure I have :proud:

Original post by dmz
been trying to understand your Sig btw

Which part? The picture is from the book Great Expectations.
Reply 2371
It seems so :erm:
Why are you up so early though?

In less than an hour, I would have been on TSR for 12 hours straight :proud:
I wonder if I've managed to post 100 posts in the past 24 hours... pretty sure I have :proud:

Which part? The picture is from the book Great Expectations.

:console:

think I'm always signed on my phone so technically I've been on for months Haha

Ha right, never read it so didn't know. Thought there was supposed to be a message in the picture :tongue:

what are your warning points for? I'm gonna go to sleep for an hour then gym cos i hate it when it's busy
Original post by dmz
:console:

think I'm always signed on my phone so technically I've been on for months Haha

Ha right, never read it so didn't know. Thought there was supposed to be a message in the picture :tongue:

what are your warning points for? I'm gonna go to sleep for an hour then gym cos i hate it when it's busy

But it logs you out automatically when you're inactive for a long period of time :yep:
Nope, no message. I have it there to remind me to finish reading the book :facepalm2:

Trolling :colonhash: :grumble: they were really unfair :fyi:

Oh and I've posted 400+ posts in the past 30 hours :erm: that surely is some kind of a record :K:

Oh.. ok. Is it busiest at this time? :ninja:
No more exams for me :smile: ALL DONE. Well almost. Need to go in for a couple of NABs. FFS. I know my ****. Just leave me alone!
Reply 2374
I can't believe people have already done so many exams! I still haven't started mine...
I'm with Salters too, it's the one I'm most worried about because of how easy it is to completely miss the marks even though you've actually written a perfect answer...
I was planning on booking my UKCAT on the day of my last exam for about mid August, then if I completely mess up and don't get the grades then I won't have to go through it and if I do it'll be an extra morale boost to do well.
Original post by Tinth
I can't believe people have already done so many exams! I still haven't started mine...
I'm with Salters too, it's the one I'm most worried about because of how easy it is to completely miss the marks even though you've actually written a perfect answer...
I was planning on booking my UKCAT on the day of my last exam for about mid August, then if I completely mess up and don't get the grades then I won't have to go through it and if I do it'll be an extra morale boost to do well.

Salters chemistry b yeah?
Tell me about it! They're so specific on what they'll give marks for eventhough you've put in so much more detail or something just cus you didn't explain the word which is obvious you won't get the Mark eventhough you explained the hard stuff perfectly :facepalm:

I miss biology, like ten possible answers for a three Mark question :hearts:

Erm.. My first exam is on Monday? How are these people FINISHED?!
wish I was finished. Unreal how much I just want to go out clubbing and get a pitcher in the sun and abuse my body with vodka :frown: :sexface:
... But like... Not in a Geordie shore way or anything..
Haha I've just stumbled upon someone's facebook account that's on here :teehee:

By the looks of it we have a crazy person in our midst :erm:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

stalker! :O:O:O:O

kidding:smile:
Reply 2378
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

You have to say who now!!