The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2660
Original post by twelve
Ahh I need a job :frown: How do you do it guysss?

And you know when you call up, what do you even say? Anytime I call and say are there any jobs going, or even visit, they just say no. I know they must be lying sometime...or are they?

Is it bad that I just want to enjoy my summer :/ Everyone's so eager to get a job, this might be the only time we'll get to relax properly for a long time...
Original post by twelve
Ahh I need a job :frown: How do you do it guysss?

And you know when you call up, what do you even say? Anytime I call and say are there any jobs going, or even visit, they just say no. I know they must be lying sometime...or are they?

I can tell you from experience with any type of job, calling is a waste of time. Even if they have vacancies, they really cba to direct you further than the website.
Better to apply through NHS jobs (what i did for my hca and my other midwifery assistant one - which my mum had nothing to do with this time and i still got invited to interview) and match your supporting statement to the person specification (acctually use the words they use) because this is the only way that they can match you against the criteria in selection for interview - person who interviews hca's actually told me this.
Either that or start off as a ward volunteer and ask them to take you on after a while.
But it really depends on your area, i know that many hospitals in london experience a large turnover fo hca's around this time of year (mostly going onto medicine)

Original post by Tinth
Is it bad that I just want to enjoy my summer :/ Everyone's so eager to get a job, this might be the only time we'll get to relax properly for a long time...

The whole process takes ages so applying now won't mean you start right away :rolleyes:
I think most (like myself) are rushing to get some new experience in before they start drafting their personal statements
But i sorta disagree with you about the relaxing part, think how much more relaxed you'd be this time next year knowing you had an unconditional place at medical school!
Reply 2662
Original post by Tinth

Noo I'm the same really, its just my parents pushing me to get a job :/ And it is the whole thing that even if I get a job offer today, I won't start for a while, and experience. I'd find it difficult to talk about getting a job giving me more independance and helping me mature etc in a personal statement, if I don't actually have a job.

I'm asking my parents and their friends if they have any odd jobs needing doing at the moment really :/

And seriously, if anyone knows any doctors in the West Midlands area I could do work experience with, I would be eternally grateful :frown:
Reply 2663
Random question, but are most medical schools open for you to contact throughout the summer, or do they shut from July-September with the exception of results day?
Reply 2664
Original post by tome27
Well that might work, but a really low AR will drag everything down.
AR for me was about practice and then marking the tests until I had pretty much seen it all.
I actually did the Kaplan course, which costs a lot of money. There are some time saving techniques they'll tell you but mostly I didn't use their methods, even for AR. What I will say though is that their practice material is top notch, far better than 600Qs simply because it's aimed at the right level and there are 6 full length tests IIRC.
After marking all those I was still scared, but come test day I spotted nearly every pattern, so it's all about familiarisation. Get hold of as much material as you can, some patterns are bound to come up or be related in some way. Kaplan isn't necessary, although I do like them since they just gave me a job!
Like you, I found QR and DA easy, DA especially, I didn't translate them on the whiteboard, I did them mostly in my head so I wasn't pushed at all. Don't feel the need to do that though.

So I'd recommend bringing AR up and doing really well in the other sections.

The more practice you do the less nervous you'll be and that helps as well.

If you need anything else/more just ask!

Good luck!

YUP, those are sure blinding UKCAT scores..!! wish they were mine!
Original post by -Taz-
Random question, but are most medical schools open for you to contact throughout the summer, or do they shut from July-September with the exception of results day?

AFAIK they're still open some days for admin stuff (I know BATL are open a bit since we have to march down and prove we are who we say we are :erm:)

I suppose e-mail/phone them.. worse they can do is not reply :yep:
Original post by -Taz-

Medical school admin staff will be in all the year round, after all the senior years don't get 'summer' holidays like other students (at least not at the unis I've heard about) so there will always be people there.

If you want admissions staff specifically then you may have to wait :smile:
Meh cba with the ukcat a week on saturday.
I just started work today and i'm knakered.
Don't know if i'm going to be able to revise as well as i'd hoped.
Original post by joemullally
Meh cba with the ukcat a week on saturday.
I just started work today and i'm knakered.
Don't know if i'm going to be able to revise as well as i'd hoped.

Omg same!
My first day was today, almost collapsed when i got home
The 600q book doesn't look so inviting right now..
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Omg same!

I have done jack all today, and that book still "doesn't look so inviting" :indiff:
Original post by futuredoc77
I have done jack all today, and that book still "doesn't look so inviting" :indiff:

Haha i'm just staring at it. The QR makes me want to cry :frown:
When have you booked yours for?
Haha i'm just staring at it. The QR makes me want to cry :frown:
When have you booked yours for?

I haven't :emo:

There's literally no motivation :nothing:
I haven't :emo:

There's literally no motivation :nothing:

Book it! It will actually give you a sense of urgency
The only reason i did some practise last week was because i booked it so early, wouldn't have bothered otherwise..
Book it! It will actually give you a sense of urgency
The only reason i did some practise last week was because i booked it so early, wouldn't have bothered otherwise..

I know, it'll probably help. :sigh:

I will... soon. :rolleyes:
I know, it'll probably help. :sigh:

I will... soon. :rolleyes:

:smile: There's a good girl
:smile: There's a good girl

:mmm:
Omg same!

What you working as?
I started as an MLA today
Never expected to be on my feet so much.
It's quite good though, everyone i've met so far is lovely.
Original post by joemullally
What you working as?
I started as an MLA today
Never expected to be on my feet so much.
It's quite good though, everyone i've met so far is lovely.

A hca, everyone is lovely here too
apart from one or two of the doctors (not surprisingly)
I enjoyed it but half of my day was spent jogging between 3 floors with charts in my hand.. My feet are dead.
A hca, everyone is lovely here too
apart from one or two of the doctors (not surprisingly)
I enjoyed it but half of my day was spent jogging between 3 floors with charts in my hand.. My feet are dead.

I'm gonna be on the HCA bank soon too (appointed not started)
I don't know which i should mention if not both in my ps and what i should talk about
The HCA thing is bank so pretty much as and when and the other is 9-5
The limiting thing about the bank is the european working time directive.
At least i can talk about that in interview if it comes up.

And gutted about your feet. I havn't sat down all day. My sofa is bliss.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by twelve

NHS jobs is deffinatley the way to go
four applications
Three interviews
Two jobs
One crappy UKCAT exam coming up(i had to complete the list)
But i'd seriously advise just poking about on there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending