Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Metastasis)
    How do you do that O_0 the grades are really crazy! I heard like only 1-2 international applicants got accepted in HK universities =/ And I didn't really hear of that elective before! I just know that in NUS the stuff they learn are so much more compared to the other schools, it's really the style and way of learning Singapore students have done for the past 12 years... (which is pretty crazy compared to other countries, imo)
    Haha yea. I went to singapore international school in primary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asfandbm)
    hey im in glamorgan going into 3rd year now, u should consider it. its a great course, the course is small and hard to get into, once ur in u have to compete for a place. 10/12 out of 18/19 student. fair chance.
    I was just looking around the forum, and happened to come across this post - I've just finished my first year on the MedSci course. I do feel as if I haven't met enough people from the other years on our course, I only know 2 people from other years - shocking!

(Original post by tiggix)
    Okay, so here's a question...
    The University of Glamorgan and Cardiff university offer this 'widening access' scheme - if you do a bsc hons degree in medical sciences at Glamorgan uni, they select 'up to ten' students in the second year, who, if they achieve a 1st or a 2:1 at the end, and fulfil Cardiff admissions criteria, can be moved onto the Cardiff medical course, starting from the second year.
    There are places for this Medical Sciences degree at Glamorgan on UCAS Extra... should I apply?! Or stick with the 'take a gap year and reapply' plan?
    I don't know, may be a little late considering the original post was in April? But the course is really good, and some of the lecturers are fantastic (especially Dr McVeigh... I think asfandbm will know what I mean!), and the uni is quite high in the league tables for our subject area (see my sig).

ReputationRep:
    Those kinds of entry requirements seem so extreme... 95%+ in modules? It just makes me a bit depressed to think academic excellence can be gauged in such a systematic and narrow manner. I suppose our system isn't that much more different though. Meh.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone
    Quick question: Has anyone registered for UCAS 2012 yet or will should we wait until our insurance choices "release us" from their offer?
    I'm sure there's no hurry to register right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek)
    Hey everyone
    Quick question: Has anyone registered for UCAS 2012 yet or will should we wait until our insurance choices "release us" from their offer?
    I'm sure there's no hurry to register right?
    I registered and filled out most of my app but tbh I didn't chose a back up.
    Have you done your UKCAT yet?

How did it go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joemullally)
    I registered and filled out most of my app but tbh I didn't chose a back up.
    Have you done your UKCAT yet?

How did it go?
    Oh okay. Think i'll register after results day and work on ps in the mean time
    I'll let you know because mine's tomorrow :eek:

Have you done yours already?

ReputationRep:

yeah i have.
    Avg. 677.5

Best of luck tomorow but you should be fine.
    Is it AM or PM ?
    if it's in the morning just make sure you wake up far enough before it to be alert lol.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i have.
    Avg. 677.5

Best of luck tomorow but you should be fine.
    Is it AM or PM ?
    if it's in the morning just make sure you wake up far enough before it to be alert lol.
    Well done! That's a solid score :rolleyes:
    And just saw your profile and realised we got the same score last year so this gives me a bit of faith
    Did you practise loads compared to last year?
    I did 2 official practise test last year and this year: 2 books, UPO plus official practise tests
    Gahh i'm so nervous..

It's AM but only just lol 12.15.
    I probably won't be able to sleep past 7 anyways but the alarm is set just in case lol

ReputationRep:

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Well done! That's a solid score :rolleyes:
    And just saw your profile and realised we got the same score last year so this gives me a bit of faith
    Did you practise loads compared to last year?
    I did 2 official practise test last year and this year: 2 books, UPO plus official practise tests
    Gahh i'm so nervous..

It's AM but only just lol 12.15.
    I probably won't be able to sleep past 7 anyways but the alarm is set just in case lol
    I only did the UKCAT released prac tests last year.
    this year i did the 600Q and a few online resources. and felt like i underpreformed on test day.
    If anything you'll score higher than me.

It's a decent score but i'm kinda gutted i didn't get that bonus point from Leeds. you know the one for a 700+ UKCAT score.

But it shoud get me interviews in some places and getting into medicine is more important than getting into your first choice uni.
    So i guess getting interviews is good.

Depends on the years average though.

ReputationRep:
    When have people booked their UKCAT test date for? I still have to book mine :O But I checked the available dates, there's still a decent amount left for before results day and after. I don't know whether to book it before or after? I'm so confused atm! I've applied for a backup Medical Biochemistry at University of Birmingham via Extra, just in case I don't get my grades. So, I've got an offer for that course, so shall I do the ukcat now or after results? or will 2 weeks be enough time to prepare if I book the test before results day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phenylethylamine_)
    When have people booked their UKCAT test date for? I still have to book mine :O But I checked the available dates, there's still a decent amount left for before results day and after. I don't know whether to book it before or after? I'm so confused atm! I've applied for a backup Medical Biochemistry at University of Birmingham via Extra, just in case I don't get my grades. So, I've got an offer for that course, so shall I do the ukcat now or after results? or will 2 weeks be enough time to prepare if I book the test before results day?
    I've chosen to book mine after results day just in case I don't have the grades, then I won't have to do it. But that way it's harder to decide which universities to apply to and to target your personal statement at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinth)
    I've chosen to book mine after results day just in case I don't have the grades, then I won't have to do it. But that way it's harder to decide which universities to apply to and to target your personal statement at.
    Hmm..that's true, I think I'll book it for after results day but start practising now. I think I'm just too nervous for results day to sit the UKCAT...but it sure would be good to give it your best now and out of the way. Have you booked yours already after results day? because I doubt it you can get your preferred date after 18th August, all the dates will be gone tbh. Good luck btw!

What's your situation like? I mean how was the last application cycle for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phenylethylamine_)
    Hmm..that's true, I think I'll book it for after results day but start practising now. I think I'm just too nervous for results day to sit the UKCAT...but it sure would be good to give it your best now and out of the way. Have you booked yours already after results day? because I doubt it you can get your preferred date after 18th August, all the dates will be gone tbh. Good luck btw!

What's your situation like? I mean how was the last application cycle for you?
    I booked mine straight after I finished exams.
    Last cycle I got one interview and 4 pre-interview rejections including my back up. I got 680 UKCAT last time which I'm attempting to bring above the 700 Leeds extra points

ReputationRep:
    -
    How did you get on?

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT revision begins tomorrow, as does statement writing and anything else Medical I can think of. I think my break from work has lasted long enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eragon.)
    UKCAT revision begins tomorrow, as does statement writing and anything else Medical I can think of. I think my break from work has lasted long enough.
    When's it booked for? :tea:

ReputationRep:
    I only did the UKCAT released prac tests last year.
    this year i did the 600Q and a few online resources. and felt like i underpreformed on test day.
    If anything you'll score higher than me.

It's a decent score but i'm kinda gutted i didn't get that bonus point from Leeds. you know the one for a 700+ UKCAT score.

But it shoud get me interviews in some places and getting into medicine is more important than getting into your first choice uni.
    So i guess getting interviews is good.

Depends on the years average though.
    Haha didn't happen :rolleyes:

but I agree, it's all about doing the research and finding out what unis you're likely to get into, rather than the ones you'd like to get into

Lol my mentality has changed so much from last year. I just want to get in, don't care where tbh..

How did you get on?
    VR: 570 (a bit shocked as i didn't find it this hard)
    QR: 660 (a bit shocked that I actually found it okay)
    AR: 610 (Happy with this because i'm hopeless at it)
    DA: 810 (Just )

Average of 662.5

Don't really know how to feel, I'm happy that it didn't completely flop but I did soo much preparation this year compared to last (got 612.5 last year)

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    Sorry to double post but i need some advice.
    Based on academics and UKCAT alone:
    UKCAT average: 662.5
    UKCAT total: 2650
    GCSEs: 4A*s 5As 1B
    Predicted: A*A*A (hope i get these)

I want to know if these choices are unrealistic:

Southampton: UKCAT Cut-off doesn't seem to be that high and i think they use the total (rather than the average) as a cut-off. Plus they don't interview (just in case i'm hopeless at interview - never really got a chance to find out ) Plus they don't seem to prefer all A* at GCSE candidates

PCMD: I got the impression that if you've already achieved AAA, then UKCAT isn't reallyyy the be all and end all and the individual cut-offs don't seem very high compared to what i got. Plus A levels is as far as they go for academics i think

Manchester: my risky option. I really like it. Their official cut-off for 2011 is lower than mine (again they use a total) - just hope it doesn't sky rocket this year like Sheffield. Also hoping that if you've already got AAA at a level then they may look at UKCAT less? - correct me if i'm wrong.

Liverpool/Bristol: in case everyone does really well in the UKCAT this year and most unis have a high cut-off

IF i'm mistaken about ANYTHING i've said about these unis or you think they're too risky, maybe from personal experience, please warn me now.

Thanks
    Peace
    Safe
    One
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuredoc77)
    When's it booked for? :tea:
    August 31st Perhaps I'm being a bit eager, but I want to get close to what I got last year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.