Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Leeds are GCSE whores. I've applied there twice. But it's so awesome at the same time. I'm happy enough to go there for a different course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joemullally)
    Yeah I didn't realise how risky it was till tonight.

I don't know, i',m gonna have a good think about it and come to some sort of decision sometime.
    If you have strong confidence if the other 3 then why not? , i was extremely sleepy the past 5 hours and the whole duration of my replies

ReputationRep:
    It's so frustrating listening to you all talking about UKCAT cut offs because I got 680 last year so if I'd have picked more carefully I could be looking at a place this year :/ At least I've learnt from my mistake I suppose!!
    I'm looking at Kings, Barts and Sheffield so far but obviously that could change massively depending on grades and UKCAT. I didn't even look at London last year since I thought it would be so hard to travel to but because I've been visiting my boyfriend every few weeks there I've realised just how close it actually is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    I'm not too familiar with Leeds but I say if you really have fallen in love with it then you should apply there.. much better than a what if situation :yep:

As long as you apply smart with your other 3 choices then you should hopefully get at least one offer

I've just had a read of your PS and it looks alright, Beska really has pointed out what you needs work so if you follow his advice then hopefully it'll be the standard places want :yep:
    As for a 3rd review... I don't think you'll get it.
    Things are starting to get busier now and we don't normally do a second review so to ask for a third..
    But no harm in asking (though use your current thread, don't create a new one)

So you're thinking BL and Leeds.. what were the other two?

But yeah, if Leeds is what you love then I say you go for it (as long as you meet min requirements etc)
    dundee or glasgow can't decide and PYMS or PMS or whatever they're calling themselves this week.

Dundee let me explain my mit circ in an online questionaire thing but Glasgow are more UKCAT orientated.
    Both seem really good aswell.

And Barts and PYMPMSPSMPS
    I'd love a place at any of them tbh. The only issue I have with the last two is that the south can be dead expensive.

However I'm from North Wales where everything is dead cheap (European area of poverty with some of the highest chlamydia and heroin rates per head going in europe((take pride where you can get it I suppose :P)))

(Original post by dmz)
    If you have strong confidence if the other 3 then why not? , i was extremely sleepy the past 5 hours and the whole duration of my replies

It's ok man any advice is appreciated. I mean you know better than a lot of people because you've been through it just like penguin. You know what re-applyings like so tbf your advice counts more than most even when you're knackered.

Really appreciate it guys thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinth)
    It's so frustrating listening to you all talking about UKCAT cut offs because I got 680 last year so if I'd have picked more carefully I could be looking at a place this year :/ At least I've learnt from my mistake I suppose!!
    I'm looking at Kings, Barts and Sheffield so far but obviously that could change massively depending on grades and UKCAT. I didn't even look at London last year since I thought it would be so hard to travel to but because I've been visiting my boyfriend every few weeks there I've realised just how close it actually is.
    Sheffield was 715 last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    Sheffield was 715 last year
    That's why it's dependent on UKCAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinth)
    That's why it's dependent on UKCAT
    i was thinking 680 for some reason, sorry , 680 got vulpes in but he's an international student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    i was thinking 680 for some reason, sorry , 680 got vulpes in but he's an international student
    Lucky man, it's just so amazing there! It just felt like home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinth)
    Lucky man, it's just so amazing there! It just felt like home.
    I have a friend going into 2nd year there now, just turned 18

ReputationRep:
    Apparently not anymore.. up until now it has simply been UKCAT cutoff. Above the cutoff=interview then offers based on interview.

However I've been told that they are going to consider UCAS tariffs as well... Now I haven't personally confirmed this (hoping to in september) but by the sounds of it you still need to do well on the UKCAT but if you have/are predicted A*AAA then you could have a better chance than someone predicted AAA.

I don't know if this is certain as of yet.. you're best off e-mailing them and I'll try to find out :yep:

Do you know your UKCAT score yet?
    I went to the open day in july and that is what i was told you just need to have a ukcat of 2400 or above average 600 an then your through that stage and they don't look at ukcat anymore they instead rank you by ucas tariff the lowest being 410 which is equivalent to AAAb so if you have A* predictions you would benefit and if you do 4A2's or extended project or things like that you benefit from their new system so no more ukcat cut off
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by aggie30)
    I went to the open day in july and that is what i was told you just need to have a ukcat of 2400 or above average 600 an then your through that stage and they don't look at ukcat anymore they instead rank you by ucas tariff the lowest being 410 which is equivalent to AAAb so if you have A* predictions you would benefit and if you do 4A2's or extended project or things like that you benefit from their new system so no more ukcat cut off
    Oh right ok..

Wonder how this work for first time applicants though :erm:

Well I suppose this is better as a basis than the UKCAT but I don't think it's fair for a reapp with AAA to be the same as a first timer predicted AAA :noway:
    But I suppose we don't know exactly how they are working it :nah:

Ta for the update :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Oh right ok..

Wonder how this work for first time applicants though :erm:

Well I suppose this is better as a basis than the UKCAT but I don't think it's fair for a reapp with AAA to be the same as a first timer predicted AAA :noway:
    But I suppose we don't know exactly how they are working it :nah:

Ta for the update :yy:

Weird aswell how it now seems to "benefit" you to take four subjects to A2.

I thought all medschools were dead against anyone taking more than the standard three where they usually say it's of no advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aggie30)
    Which uni is this now?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

In my gap year I'm carrying on volunteering at a resedential home for the elderly, at a hospital and I'm going to volunteer in a dementia care home. When volunteering at the hospital I'll be working with different specialities throughout the year. I also have a week at a GP.
    I may also get a job.
    What kind of things are people doing for their gap year? Just so that I know if I'm on the right track ...
    Thank you for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Hii, I'm backkkkk

Just had an amazing week volunteering with Sense. Actually can't get over how rewarding it was. Going to be a big chunk on that in my ps I should think!

But yeah, now I'm back its serious UKCAT revision time. I've got it in about a week and a half. I've done a bit of prep already, but not a lot. I was hoping to do lots this week on y night shifts on the holiday, but turns out the boys didn't sleep too well, so I got nothing done at all haha. Going to do lots of brain training things and practise questions, and hopefully do okay in it.

(Original post by Dr.Galaxy99)
    Hey guys,

In my gap year I'm carrying on volunteering at a resedential home for the elderly, at a hospital and I'm going to volunteer in a dementia care home. When volunteering at the hospital I'll be working with different specialities throughout the year. I also have a week at a GP.
    I may also get a job.
    What kind of things are people doing for their gap year? Just so that I know if I'm on the right track ...
    Thank you for your help.
    I'd definately get a job. Apart from the fact it'll mean you can get some money, its also something to occupy yourself - from what other applicants have said, it helps keep you sane. Its good to put on a ps as well - saying that you did lots of volunteering, but other than that just dossed around the house doesn't look brilliant...

But apart from that, I'd look back at thany of the other pages, and there will be loads of advice there
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by joemullally)
    Weird aswell how it now seems to "benefit" you to take four subjects to A2.

I thought all medschools were dead against anyone taking more than the standard three where they usually say it's of no advantage.
    Yeah it's a bit unfair imo..

Say for example you get A*A*A*a - that gives you 480 UCAS points.

Now I got A*AAAac - so I got 600 UCAS points..

Though we don't know if they'll simply rank the tariff or just take an average or what.

Still better than basing it on GCSEs though

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's a bit unfair imo..

Say for example you get A*A*A*a - that gives you 480 UCAS points.

Now I got A*AAAac - so I got 600 UCAS points..

Though we don't know if they'll simply rank the tariff or just take an average or what.

Still better than basing it on GCSEs though
    A*A*A*a gives you the same Ucas points as AAAA at A2?

I don't see how the tariff's are that fair though :P

I mean in that situation its 480 ucas points and you havn't done the extra A level at A2

It could be argued that if the candidate hadn't taken 4 subjects then they could have got the *'s so then there's no reward in that situation for doing 4 A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, are my medicine dreams ****ed now? I only got ABB at AH (chem, maths, physics) this year and even though they aren't a requirement I'm guessing they will still be taken into consideration. I also got an extra A at higher (biology) so I now have AAAAAB.. I'm gonna self teach another AH (biology) during my gap year.

Anyway, question is, is it pointless in me re-applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Braddd)
    Just wondering, are my medicine dreams fecked now? I only got ABB at AH (chem, maths, physics) this year and even though they aren't a requirement I'm guessing they will still be taken into consideration. I also got an extra A at higher (biology) so I now have AAAAAB.. I'm gonna self teach another AH (biology) during my gap year.

Anyway, question is, is it pointless in me re-applying?
    I got AAB in AHs this year and I'm wondering the same thing with a fourth A in H music and the B in biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roar558)
    I got AAB in AHs this year and I'm wondering the same thing with a fourth A in H music and the B in biology.
    See AAB is really good. I would've been ecstatic with that. I'm gonna see about getting my maths appealed...
    What are you As in?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.