2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Yep :awesome:

Unfortunately we're limited to 10 questions so can't put that in :no:

Likewise the 'grouchiest member' award had to be left out :sadnod:

And we're only doing it because the things were promoting are awesome :fyi:

They are, If I win :P
but yeah who would be the grouchiest member, or grouchiest member of the 2012 re-applicants thread?

Original post by Vulpes
Hey :tongue: That's hardly fair. If I kept my program secret, I wouldn't have gotten my 1500+ downloads. :biggrin:

Hey, It was a good thing, I voted for it to be thread of the year i'll have you know.

and tbf you could probably make money off of it if you could get the website working and got some advertising going.
That would buy you some pints during the long winter months. . .
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3121
Original post by joemullally
but yeah who would be the grouchiest member, or grouchiest member of the 2012 re-applicants thread?

Hey, It was a good thing, I voted for it to be thread of the year i'll have you know.

and tbf you could probably make money off of it if you could get the website working and got some advertising going.

Haha thanks. :tongue:

Hate ads on websites. I don't need the money atm so I'll just leave it ad-less for now. Perhaps in a few years time when it becomes more widely known :biggrin:

Hmmm you don't really have a grouchy member imo...

So I'll leave you to decide that :wink:
Original post by Vulpes
Haha thanks. :tongue:

Hate ads on websites. I don't need the money atm so I'll just leave it ad-less for now. Perhaps in a few years time when it becomes more widely known :biggrin:

You could put them somewhere out of the way :P
Hidden like.

Hmmm you don't really have a grouchy member imo...

So I'll leave you to decide that :wink:

I'm not taking that kind of responsibility without some kind of insentive.
And I'm not going to try and scav pints over the internet so I'll leave it open to debate.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3124
Original post by Quackers93
Hmm I didn't know that :smile: I'm still sort of considering it... my mum just doesn't know that lol Think shes just worried because there was something ages ago that happened involving my aunt and stuff. I am still trying to convince her though, and that little fact may help :smile: thanks

I'll be the idiot who doesn't start it till week before its in... and then end up just handing in the same one from last year haha

Probably not to begin with, they have a lot staff who do relief and come in when needed. But theres a girl I know who was offered a full time place but shes decided to go to uni so i'm hoping they'll consider me instead and see what happens :smile: I'm the exact same, I'll go mad if I don't do anything - think i'm even pushing it only (hopefully) doing part time! :tongue:

Naww :frown: Gutted! If they do same to me this year we should have a road trip and go kick their ass! lol

Yeah it's hard to explain the intricacies of relgion/politics in NI to people from eleswhere lol.Though your mum will probably remain unconvinced as its hard for people to not let their personal experiences from influencing them.

Alot of nasty things happened during the troubles and even Queen's university wasn't exempt from the bloodshed, eg in the 80's a profeesor of law who was also a UUP politician was murdered by the IRA as he walked between lectures, also the unionist MP for South Belfast (the area where Queens uni is based) was likewise assasinated by republicans.

But remember all this has completely stopped nowadays and you'd be very unlikely to be even verbally abused by anyone because of your relgion :smile:
Just a final reminder that in a couple of hours voting closes for this years medicine awards so if you are planning on voting then make sure you do it now!

Link to announcement

I already have. :flutter:
You could put them somewhere out of the way :P
Hidden like.

I'm not taking that kind of responsibility without some kind of insentive.
And I'm not going to try and scav pints over the internet so I'll leave it open to debate.

Is my recognition incentive enough?

Original post by futuredoc77
I already have. :flutter:

I know you have :wink:
Is my recognition incentive enough?

I know you have :wink:

Unfortunately I can't drink recognition.
The closest thing to that I can drink is cognac
and that's only because my reading problemy mind made the connection with the G's,C's and N's .

But seriously though, everyone here seems lovely.
It'd be difficult to choose the moodiest individual when everyone is practically craping rainbows.
Reply 3128
YES YES YESSS got the KAPLAN BOOK FOR £46 YAYYYYYY

Allow me to celebrate a littleee. Hey guys! I'm reapplying too, but I'm not actually going on a gap year. I'm taking up my Biomed offer at UCL in the meantime. Anyone else in the same position as me?
Original post by Basma
YES YES YESSS got the KAPLAN BOOK FOR £46 YAYYYYYY

Allow me to celebrate a littleee. Hey guys! I'm reapplying too, but I'm not actually going on a gap year. I'm taking up my Biomed offer at UCL in the meantime. Anyone else in the same position as me?

LSoP and reapplying. :five: After a gap year that is. :facepalm2:
Reply 3130

LSoP and reapplying. :five: After a gap year that is. :facepalm2:

:five: girlllllll! What were you a-level results? Where do you want to apply?
guys i am freaaaaaaaaaking out! why is it so hard to get some work experience nowadays?! when are people planning on doing their ukcat?
Reply 3132
Original post by laurenl93
God your last post was such a bitch to cut down to get to my reply bit. lmao.
I got 630, 5 more than last year oioi!! So i'm pretty much in the same sexy ukcat boat again, awkwardly drifting my application to uni's hoping they'll love me for my feast of work experience and not my apparent retarded ability at answering true/false questions. God man.

Well I got A*AA :wink: so can apply to my ultimate first choice QUB unlike last year since they're such GCSE sluts, also applying to aberdeen and lancaster/liverpool. Lancaster/ liverpool is an either/or situation... not sure of which to apply to. Don't really wanna go to liverpool though, if i came back to newcastle with a Geordie-Scouser accent i'd probably get stabbed or have killed myself through being so exasperated at putting up with hearing myself speak
What's your first choice dear? And how's your hca job going? Do mea favour (please) and when you have time could you message me a list of things you do in your job nice shizz about it that i can use for my interview on friday other than the 'i love wiping bum' which is all i really had planned to say :rolleyes:

You'll be finee :biggrin: You've got an extra year of work experience and maturity (questionable, but thats what you tell them anyway) and all that jazz.

Hmm, yeahh I wouldn't know which one. They are quite different places as well, so it depends whether you'd rather be in the city, or out by the lakes. Although I couldn't go to Liverpool, purely because I cannot stand the accent... My friend is off to lancaster as well, so I'm sure she'd recommend it :P

My first choice is probably Sheffield. Loved the place, loved the course and applied last year - their response was basically, great application, but **** UKCAT. Trying to think which other UKCAT loving universities to go for now. It doesn't make any sense to apply to somewhere that doesn't use it, or even just uses it slightly. Never thought I'd be saying that my UKCAT is a strenght!

Ahh well, sorry but I haven't actually started yet :| Calling up tomorrow to find out what is taking so long. Its been two months since I had my interview! But I guess I didn't find out I'd got the job until about a month after that, so it isn't so bad. Just got to check another letter hasn't gone astray. Ask funsized! But seriously, just go on about wanting to care for people, and wanting to make the patients more comfortable and stuff like how much better something as simple as a smile and a cup of tea can make people feel.

Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Awh i'm loving my job at the moment :smile:
Met some really wonderful people of all professions who are all so supportive and I've just cut through the initial phase of cleaning/preparing equipment/obs etc and i'm actually starting to learn and understand a lot about the patient's and their care - a lot of them are acctually teaching me (most are long-term patients because it's a cancer hospital). One of them, who is also now a good friend of mine, was acctually showing me how to take her cannula out..

Aww thats really good! Can't wait to start mine now. Although I think it'll be a bit less 'homey' because it'll be on bank. How long have you been doing it now?

Also, I know this is a really random question, but what kind of shoes do you wear? I'm thinking I might have to invest in an old Clarks-school-shoe typed pair just for comfort.
Original post by twelve
Aww thats really good! Can't wait to start mine now. Although I think it'll be a bit less 'homey' because it'll be on bank. How long have you been doing it now?

Also, I know this is a really random question, but what kind of shoes do you wear? I'm thinking I might have to invest in an old Clarks-school-shoe typed pair just for comfort.

It's been like a month and a half now, though it feels like i've been there longer..
I'm still doing a lot of paperwork/competencies etc, appaz they're very very thorough, even for an nhs hospital

I had a similar dilemma lol
I would say comfort first. The amount of walking frantic chasing you do is NO joke at all (i had blisters during my first 2 days - not trying to put you off). But they sound fine, as long as they're black, they cover your whole foot (in case spillage/dropping needles etc) and have no fancy bows or stuff (less chance carrying bacteria) then they won't bark at you for dressing inappropriately and you won't be nursing swollen feet at the end of the day
twelve
It doesn't make any sense to apply to somewhere that doesn't use it, or even just uses it slightly. Never thought I'd be saying that my UKCAT is a strenght!

You've got Newcastle, durham, Glasgow, Dundee, Peninsula and Barts who selected for interview based on UKCAT last year (as far as I understand it).

Barts system might have changed now.

The highest cut off's were newcastle, durham and glasgow out of those I think.
Sheffield and Manchester select using UKCAT as well-shef app. 715 and Manc app. 650 ish I think
Reply 3136
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
It's been like a month and a half now, though it feels like i've been there longer..
I'm still doing a lot of paperwork/competencies etc, appaz they're very very thorough, even for an nhs hospital

I had a similar dilemma lol
I would say comfort first. The amount of walking frantic chasing you do is NO joke at all (i had blisters during my first 2 days - not trying to put you off). But they sound fine, as long as they're black, they cover your whole foot (in case spillage/dropping needles etc) and have no fancy bows or stuff (less chance carrying bacteria) then they won't bark at you for dressing inappropriately and you won't be nursing swollen feet at the end of the day

Haha, thanks for the info :wink: When I did my voluntary work, I just wore black pumps. They were pretty sore after just the four hours, so I'll definitely be getting something better. Hmm, basically, I'll be investing in a pair of my grandma's shoes methinks!

You've got Newcastle, durham, Glasgow, Dundee, Peninsula and Barts who selected for interview based on UKCAT last year (as far as I understand it).

Barts system might have changed now.

The highest cut off's were newcastle, durham and glasgow out of those I think.

With barts, I think they rank according to UKCAT, and then select for interview. So they are quite a high possibility for me. I think Sheffield and Leicester I've pretty much decided on. I love everything I've read and seen of both of them. Sheffield is an obvious choice for me, and Leicester have changed their scoring system - for academics and total UKCAT score, I get full marks. The only other thing they makr before interview is ps, and as long as they don't HATE mine, I should be in with a decent chance :smile:

Original post by Zakadoh
Sheffield and Manchester select using UKCAT as well-shef app. 715 and Manc app. 650 ish I think

Ahh thankyou, I'll have a think about manchester.
My careers advisor person guy has been nagging me to get a job in a nursing home because getting experience caring for the elderly is vital, and i wont get in without it!
Could anyone tell me if it is that important, because I think i should really act upon it!

I have done a few days experience at a Hospice if that helps??
Original post by twelve

Don't read the passsage - read the question, skim the whole thing quickly, looking for the right sentences, then read those carefully, then answer the question. And repeat. Byt the time you get to the last question, you'll find you've got a pretty good idea whats going on in each passage. I literally never read it properly until I'm checking it.

Thank you so much! That's great advice! THANKS :smile:
Original post by Limesasquatch
My careers advisor person guy has been nagging me to get a job in a nursing home because getting experience caring for the elderly is vital, and i wont get in without it!
Could anyone tell me if it is that important, because I think i should really act upon it!

I have done a few days experience at a Hospice if that helps??

I think long term experience in a caring role of any kind is very important. But I don't think it needs to be with the elderly specifically, it can be for example with disabled children.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending