Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Galaxy99)
    I think long term experience in a caring role of any kind is very important. But I don't think it needs to be with the elderly specifically, it can be for example with disabled children.
    Oh thats great! I have managed to get a supply job at my local disabled school. (i don't really know another name for this type of school )

ReputationRep:
    Which schools will be adding A* to their requirements this year?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Limesasquatch)
    Only Cambridge has an A*AA requirement. The rest are all AAA this year.

ReputationRep:
    Oh thats great! I have managed to get a supply job at my local disabled school. (i don't really know another name for this type of school )
    by 'supply job' do you mean you're a supply teacher?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    Haha, thanks for the info When I did my voluntary work, I just wore black pumps. They were pretty sore after just the four hours, so I'll definitely be getting something better. Hmm, basically, I'll be investing in a pair of my grandma's shoes methinks!

With barts, I think they rank according to UKCAT, and then select for interview. So they are quite a high possibility for me. I think Sheffield and Leicester I've pretty much decided on. I love everything I've read and seen of both of them. Sheffield is an obvious choice for me, and Leicester have changed their scoring system - for academics and total UKCAT score, I get full marks. The only other thing they makr before interview is ps, and as long as they don't HATE mine, I should be in with a decent chance

Ahh thankyou, I'll have a think about manchester.

I've heard that they're changing their application system (barts)

the information and source is in the Barts applicants thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Galaxy99)
    by 'supply job' do you mean you're a supply teacher?
    More like a supply teaching assistant. I haven't had to much teaching to do as I've mainly been with the littluns in reception, and have just been helping them play with sensory toys etc.

ReputationRep:
    More like a supply teaching assistant. I haven't had to much teaching to do as I've mainly been with the littluns in reception, and have just been helping them play with sensory toys etc.
    ohhh sounds good good luck with your application
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

(Original post by Vulpes)
    Only Cambridge has an A*AA requirement. The rest are all AAA this year.
    Also birmingham are starting to ask for an A*

(Original post by Birmingham website)
    Typical offer: AAA or A*AA
    BSMS have also asked for AAA/A*AB and that's all I can't think of atm :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Dont reapply you will never get in.

ReputationRep:
    I got A*AA, GOT 650 UKCAT AND LOADS OF WORK EXPERIENCE VOLUNTEERING. I APPLIED IMPERIAL SHEFFIELD KINGS AND PENINSULA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lootshare99)
    I got A*AA, GOT 650 UKCAT AND LOADS OF WORK EXPERIENCE VOLUNTEERING. I APPLIED IMPERIAL SHEFFIELD KINGS AND PENINSULA.
    Did you get in?

ReputationRep:
    I didnt get in!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Also birmingham are starting to ask for an A*

BSMS have also asked for AAA/A*AB and that's all I can't think of atm :hmmmm:
    peninsula ask for
    A*AA/AAA (source : their website)

I don;'t know how they decide who gets which offer though.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jabbo12)
    Dont reapply you will never get in.
    Is this directed at anyone or is it just plain stupidity?
    (Original post by joemullally)
    peninsula ask for
    A*AA/AAA (source : their website)

I don;'t know how they decide who gets which offer though.
    Ah I see :holmes:

Ta for that :ta:

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone
    I got AAA (biology, chemistry and maths) at A-level and i'm worried about re-applying! I've still got to do my UKCAT- I got 665 last year and I'm hoping to improve on that. However I'm worried with the A* grade others are going to stand out over my application. I was reading in the newspaper today about a girl that go 4A* at A-level and didn't get any medicine offers last year so is reapplying. If the competition is that tough, I don't know whether i'll be considered :/ I just really don't want to be in this position again next year!
    Anyway congrats to those of you who got your grades! I'm just hoping we're all in a much better position this time next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDSB)
    Hey everyone
    I got AAA (biology, chemistry and maths) at A-level and i'm worried about re-applying! I've still got to do my UKCAT- I got 665 last year and I'm hoping to improve on that. However I'm worried with the A* grade others are going to stand out over my application. I was reading in the newspaper today about a girl that go 4A* at A-level and didn't get any medicine offers last year so is reapplying. If the competition is that tough, I don't know whether i'll be considered :/ I just really don't want to be in this position again next year!
    Anyway congrats to those of you who got your grades! I'm just hoping we're all in a much better position this time next year
    There was probably something lacking from her application

e.g.
    I got 2A*'s 2A's
    Tons of work ex and scored well for my ps.
    However my UKCAT wasn't amazing and my GCSE's will always let me down.

A guy at my college got 4A*'s (100% in all maths, phys and chem modules) and got straight rejections but is lacking work ex.

Those articles are usually quite one sided.

You should apply to your strengths tbh.
    If you get a strong UKCAT again this year then consider places that select for interview solely on UKCAT rankings (e.g. newcastle, durham, peninsula, sheffield)

Applying tactically will give you the best chance of getting in.

and you've met what most of them ask for. With A levels it wouldn't matter if you got all A*'s in most places as long as you got 3 A's.
    But It depends where you apply.

ReputationRep:
    You do realise that amazing A-levels does not equal automatic medical place, for all you know they could get 4 interviews and just flop them all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a moist feeling)
    You do realise that amazing A-levels does not equal automatic medical place, for all you know they could get 4 interviews and just flop them all
    agreed

also, does anyone know which schools do not look at the PS while shortlisting for interviews? because i think my PS sucks :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joemullally)
    I've heard that they're changing their application system (barts)

the information and source is in the Barts applicants thread.
    ohh they're changing it? where where is the barts thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metastasis)
    agreed

also, does anyone know which schools do not look at the PS while shortlisting for interviews? because i think my PS sucks :/
    I'm pretty sure everyone will look at PS. Why do you think its so bad?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.