The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phenylethylamine_
Aww! I found out my rejection from Liverpool post-interview last Friday, just when I was about to leave to go out with a bunch of my friends to C.London for my friend's birthday.

I couldn't even say anything after my rejection ... I just sat there, looking at the Unsuccessful status from track and couldn't believe it :frown: Then I broke into tears :frown: Hopefully, I won't get through this again next year :frown:
Original post by dariadaphne
I couldn't even say anything after my rejection ... I just sat there, looking at the Unsuccessful status from track and couldn't believe it :frown: Then I broke into tears :frown: Hopefully, I won't get through this again next year :frown:

Did you also apply to Liverpool? I know, it's heartbreaking! I really really thought I would get an offer. Ahh well, the success rate for reapplicants is quite high. Don't worry and don't sulk over it, just try to get the grades -- the most important thing. S'okay, you'll be fineeeeee.

But, I had to go C.London after getting my rejection, then on the tube I just blurted it to my friends and how I'll be taking a gap year etc, going out actually made me feel better. :cool: I guess you just need to be around people who know will support you.

I broke into tears when I got an Imperial and Bristol rejection on the same day, the day before was my chemistry exam which at the time I thought went reallllly crap, I couldn't stop crying then, nothing was going right.
Hey guys does anyone know of any med schools in particular that are renowned for loving reapplicants... If there is one :smile:
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
Did you also apply to Liverpool? I know, it's heartbreaking! I really really thought I would get an offer. .

No ... I've applied to St. Andrews, Aberdeen, Dundee and Oxford (Brasenose College) ... But St Andrews was my top choice and I really loved it there :frown: Yeah, I was lucky that I had my friends and family to support me and keep telling me that maybe it's for the better and that this year will really make a difference and help me become a better doctor :biggrin: Where did you apply ? Did they tell you why they rejected you ? :frown: I think the reason for mine was the UKCAT (630) but I don't know for sure since I haven't received my feedback yet :frown:
Original post by platty1907
Hey guys does anyone know of any med schools in particular that are renowned for loving reapplicants... If there is one :smile:

Maybe you should ask that on the 2011 re-applicants thread ... They probably know better :biggrin: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1560687

AFAIK none take preference for re-applicants simply because they are re-applicants..

There are med schools that DISLIKE resitters, so if you don't get the grades some will put you at a disadvantage whilst some will reject you outright.

But as for preference, re-applicants tend to fair better since we have more experience, tend to be seen as more mature (when we need to be) and if we do well in exams despite having no offers and show determination by re-applying then that can be looked upon well.

So use being a re-applicant to strengthen your application and become that much better than any year 13 :colone:
Reply 306

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
AFAIK none take preference for re-applicants simply because they are re-applicants..

There are med schools that DISLIKE resitters, so if you don't get the grades some will put you at a disadvantage whilst some will reject you outright.

But as for preference, re-applicants tend to fair better since we have more experience, tend to be seen as more mature (when we need to be) and if we do well in exams despite having no offers and show determination by re-applying then that can be looked upon well.

So use being a re-applicant to strengthen your application and become that much better than any year 13 :colone:

I was going to say this!

But yeah, its all there. Use the fact that you've now got time to get more experience to GET MORE EXPERIENCE. That alone is an advantage. As well as being a reapplicant, so you know the process - essentially you've done a test run with your personal statement etc etc.

Apologies for my post - I'm not quite awake, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't make a lot of sense :s-smilie:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

Thanks for the reply, do you know of any that dislike reapplicants as you said?
Reply 308
Original post by bigAsh
Yeah it's the one at Bradford :smile:
I sent them an email earlier and they got back really quickly! I'm happy because I'm from W Yorkshire, woo! I think it will be good for me because I can still apply again for medicine in September, plus the application to Leeds at the end of the year, essentially five medicine applications. Even if I don't get in, I can stick with the clinical sciences and apply again to medicine the year after (to Leeds).

If anyone lives in W Yorkshire here and is considering alternative routes, I recommend this!

Hey I've got an offer already from Bradford for foundation in clinical sciences. My interview there was more like an interrogation:tongue:
Reply 309
Original post by Jin3011
Hey I've got an offer already from Bradford for foundation in clinical sciences. My interview there was more like an interrogation:tongue:

Ooh I'm just waiting to see if I get an interview :tongue: I applied two days back through UCAS extra so I hope they get back soon!

We might be course buddies :biggrin:

Are you making a separate UCAS application to other medical schools in September as well? I think I'm going to because when I rang up Bradford they said that it is possible but seeing as they won't have known us that long they won't support such an application, so we should seek support of our college.
Reply 310
Original post by bigAsh
Ooh I'm just waiting to see if I get an interview :tongue: I applied two days back through UCAS extra so I hope they get back soon!

We might be course buddies :biggrin:

Are you making a separate UCAS application to other medical schools in September as well? I think I'm going to because when I rang up Bradford they said that it is possible but seeing as they won't have known us that long they won't support such an application, so we should seek support of our college.

Do you mean send another ucas application off this september when still going on to do Clinical Sci course?
I'm surprised they had spaces through extra though, normaly they're oversubscribed, lucky you I guess =]

But I may just end up taking a gap year. There was so many things on my application that I could've improved on so I think I'll stand a stronger chance of at least securing an interview for next yr.

If you get an offer from b-ford, are you considering on taking it?
To me, clin sci itself is a good course and they teach you all about the NHS etc, and supplemented by simultaneous work exp and voluntary work will put you at a good position to apply to Leeds. But personally, the fact that we're only restricted to Leeds is kind of a drawback. I'd also be horrified if I don't get in first time time through foundation, and then also go on to fail in Y1.
But all the best to you!
If you manage to get an interview, PM and I'll give you the questions that they asked me. I made a comprehensive list (I have no life:colondollar:).
Reply 311

I know that Aberdeen, Cardiff, Leeds and BSMS give a slight advantage to people who have already achieved grades, there are more than likely others as well so get emailing. Although there are a few who didn't care whether your grades were achieved or predicted, Newcastle springs to mind. Important thing to remember though is that it's only a slight advantage and Penguin's advice is more than sound. Make sure you get that extra experience and most importantly make sure you reflect on it in your ps explaining what you've learnt about a career in medicine and how it will make you a good medical student/doctor.

None of them dislike RE-APPLICANTS

But if you don't get the grades and need to RESIT exams in order to get AAA etc then here's a page about where will allow and where won't: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

So for example, myself applying to Barts with the grades, I got interviewed and managed to get in.
If I had applied with AAB with the intention or resitting to get AAA, then I would have been rejected outright.. make sense? :h:

Also take a look at the other articles in the medicine area: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
You never know what you might find that could help :yep:
Reply 313
Original post by ScrubZ
I know that Aberdeen, Cardiff, Leeds and BSMS give a slight advantage to people who have already achieved grades, there are more than likely others as well so get emailing. Although there are a few who didn't care whether your grades were achieved or predicted, Newcastle springs to mind. Important thing to remember though is that it's only a slight advantage and Penguin's advice is more than sound. Make sure you get that extra experience and most importantly make sure you reflect on it in your ps explaining what you've learnt about a career in medicine and how it will make you a good medical student/doctor.

Thats good to know actually :smile: Thanks!

Newcastle/Durham (I don't quite understand that system?) had on their website that they 'are particularly looking for mature and local applicants'.
Reply 314
Original post by twelve
Thats good to know actually :smile: Thanks!

Newcastle/Durham (I don't quite understand that system?) had on their website that they 'are particularly looking for mature and local applicants'.

That whole local thing does annoy me a little bit, I can kinda see the logic - they think applicants from around the area are more likely to end up working there once they qualify, but I still think it's unfair! Certainly though, the more mature you are the better chance you have of an offer. Seeing as this is something they've pointed out on their website I'd definitely aim to fit it in to your PS if you want to apply to Newcastle, you could say how you've matured through any jobs you've had or travelling etc.
Reply 315
Original post by Jin3011
Do you mean send another ucas application off this september when still going on to do Clinical Sci course?
I'm surprised they had spaces through extra though, normaly they're oversubscribed, lucky you I guess =]

But I may just end up taking a gap year. There was so many things on my application that I could've improved on so I think I'll stand a stronger chance of at least securing an interview for next yr.

If you get an offer from b-ford, are you considering on taking it?
To me, clin sci itself is a good course and they teach you all about the NHS etc, and supplemented by simultaneous work exp and voluntary work will put you at a good position to apply to Leeds. But personally, the fact that we're only restricted to Leeds is kind of a drawback. I'd also be horrified if I don't get in first time time through foundation, and then also go on to fail in Y1.
But all the best to you!
If you manage to get an interview, PM and I'll give you the questions that they asked me. I made a comprehensive list (I have no life:colondollar:).

Yeah that's what I meant. I emailed the admissions lady at Bradford and she said that we would be allowed to make a UCAS application for medicine in September even if we were going on the clinical science course, but she also said that they wouldn't support such an application so we need to seek support of our college. But yeah I guess I was lucky :smile: Oh we also need to email the universities we want to apply to as well and ask them if they would accept the application :smile:

I'm sort of feeling the same though in terms of just taking a gap year, but I'm not sure, it feels weird to take myself out of education... who knew it would grow on me :tongue:
It does have its drawbacks, but it can't hurt to keep your options open. Anyway now that we will have our A levels and extra work experience, we're more likely to get that important offer!

Thanks! I'll let you know if I get an interview and I wish you success for the future!
Reply 316
Original post by ScrubZ
That whole local thing does annoy me a little bit, I can kinda see the logic - they think applicants from around the area are more likely to end up working there once they qualify, but I still think it's unfair! Certainly though, the more mature you are the better chance you have of an offer. Seeing as this is something they've pointed out on their website I'd definitely aim to fit it in to your PS if you want to apply to Newcastle, you could say how you've matured through any jobs you've had or travelling etc.

Yeah I can see the logic, but it is a bit annoying. I ws thinking about applying there, and then when I read that I thought perhaps not. Its more important to me to apply to more places where I think I could get offers, rather than riking it for a place I only just thought about.
Just got my feedback from Leeds and it's not good :frown: The only section I scored well in was the reference. I wasn't even close to getting an interview. I just don't know what to do now, I feel as though I've got no hope of ever doing medicine... :frown:
Reply 318
Just got my feedback from Leeds and it's not good :frown: The only section I scored well in was the reference. I wasn't even close to getting an interview. I just don't know what to do now, I feel as though I've got no hope of ever doing medicine... :frown:

Oh no. what did ur ps consist off. Pm me if you want some help.
Reply 319

No, don't be downhearted :frown: I had feedback from Leeds as well, and basically my PS was terrible for them. But feedback from Sheffield said that I had a strong personal statement - just because Leeds didn't think so, doesn't mean everyone will :smile:

And all it means is that you will have to work hard to get through next year, and you've basicially had a test run of your application! Just improve on what you need to and be careful where you apply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending