ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinth)
    Read up slightly
    lololol sorry

were you happy with it? i got 630... i was happy with that lmao

... yeah i suck at VR :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASB31)
    with a 725 average on my ukcat is there anywhere i should avoid? i'm already not risking sheffield even though i love it there i'm currently thinking newcastle, bristol (cos i was soooo close last time and its awesome), Brighton and sussex and ....? somewhere esle. Any help would be great
    Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenl93)
    (Original post by twelve)
    I've found the perfect way of avoiding people talking about how they'll go away.

Every time they talk about uni and how exciting it is I talk in a chav voice and start squaring down the street
    saying something like "I'm so shtoopid I cant tie my shoelaces together and I fell over huhuhuhuhuh"

That kind of thing seemed to shut up my girlfriend but that's ok,
    She's used to looking like my minder.

(Original post by a moist feeling)
    Me and my girlfriend lasted all the way through her first year while I was on a gap year it was only until this summer when she broke up with me :cry: she didn't like the fact I was doing medicine, because it is what she always wanted to do

But making the relationship last through uni isn't too hard if you trust eachother. You also have to make the trips obviously to go and see her a fair bit
    I don't know though,
    We had a long drawn out conversation tonight about how we'll always mean something to each other but it's probably best if we split before uni at some point.

along the lines of we have a lot of good memories and we'll never forget them but we don't want to let those memories get tarnished by a bad messy breakup, and how I'll always keep a steel string on my ukelele.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joemullally)
    I don't know though,
    We had a long drawn out conversation tonight about how we'll always mean something to each other but it's probably best if we split before uni at some point.

along the lines of we have a lot of good memories and we'll never forget them but we don't want to let those memories get tarnished by a bad messy breakup, and how I'll always keep a steel string on my ukelele.
    Good plan, you will most likely break up at some point in the end anyway :erm: it is so difficult when one of you is at uni with lots of other people and you are stuck at home. Might be best to end on a good note

ReputationRep:
    are there any resitters here? So far my choices are narrowed down to peninsula, liverpool and possibly lancaster. I got AAB and need to resit one module

ReputationRep:
    lololol sorry

were you happy with it? i got 630... i was happy with that lmao

... yeah i suck at VR :facepalm:
    I'm sort of happy with it, that's why I'm unsure whether to retake it, I'm not sure it'll improve that much to give me much more advantage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinth)
    I'm sort of happy with it, that's why I'm unsure whether to retake it, I'm not sure it'll improve that much to give me much more advantage
    Yeah I know what you mean, wouldn't be worth it of it went down or something, sucks that that actually happened in your test though!

My calculator in my test kept freezing ao that I couldn't use it for ten seconds... Which when you think about it is a looping time in QR :/ but I'm just pleased its over

Now just ps to be done... Has anyone actially finished or near completed it?
    Can't even find it on my laptop. Lulz.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have a book they're using to write their personal statement? Any recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bambinooo)
    wow thats lucky...ive got a non-medically related job at a restaurant and some volunteer work...and i'm going to go to an orphanage next year for 2 months abroad. Also i've done a lot of work experience. My problem is i got A*AB (i mark off offer) so i have to re-do a practical to gain a mark . How are you going to freshers weeks? i really want to ...is it with school friends...are you allowed? i might try my local pharmacy.
    hey, im in a similar position to you.. reapplicant for medicine and going to take a gap year. Also, i want to volunteer at an orphanage abroad for 2-3 months! But all the sites that I've checked out were way over my budget Where are you going, who with and how much is it if you dont mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Euurgh just finished UKCAT got 677.5 avg which isn't too bad but during my QR, I went to the use the keyboard and it ended my test:eek: I was panicking but apparently I had somehow logged out(I only pressed 1!) and had to call over staff to log back in. I didn't lose anytime luckily but I'm sure it affected my QR because I got a lower score than last year (720).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinth)
    Worst UKCAT ever!!!
    Basically towards the end of quantitative reasoning my computer said there was an error and they had to call the technicians and they sorted it out so I missed the 30 seconds or so from quantitative which they said they could do nothing about, then it went onto abstract reasoning where the timer said I only had 8 minutes to answer all of the questions
    So these were my scores:
    VR: 600
    QR: 710
    AR: 730
    DA: 670

I have an incident form and I can ring the UKCAT people if I'm not happy and they may consider allowing me to retake it but I don't know if it's worth all of the stress again when I don't think that it would bring it up that much to make a difference (eg. Above the Sheffield cut off)
    Wow, that sounds awful but well done on scoring that well! :dance:

I would ask the school to include it in the reference, but leave it as it is if you think you won't do much better if you were to re do it. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinth)
    Does anybody have a book they're using to write their personal statement? Any recommendations?
    I've got http://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-into-Med.../dp/1905812108

It seems fine to me, but it hasn't been much use so far. Seems like it'll be most useful when it comes to editing it and refining it - because it has stuff like don't say this, and do say this. But for the first draft, it isn't a lot of help.

Having said that, I'm not sure anything would really help with the first draft - for me, its just getting something down, so that I can then rearrange it and reword stuff

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know what you mean, wouldn't be worth it of it went down or something, sucks that that actually happened in your test though!

My calculator in my test kept freezing ao that I couldn't use it for ten seconds... Which when you think about it is a looping time in QR :/ but I'm just pleased its over

Now just ps to be done... Has anyone actially finished or near completed it?
    Can't even find it on my laptop. Lulz.
    Wow unlucky about the QR that's a hell of a lot of time.

And I'm nearly finished, I've done 11 draffts though,
    It's come a long way since the start of summer but I want it to be right this year,
    Hopefully it'l even be a strength.

ReputationRep:
    How many of you actually have paid work for this gap year which you are putting down on your personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    How many of you actually have paid work for this gap year which you are putting down on your personal statement?
    Me,
    I have two jobs.
    One in the labs at my hospital as an MLA

and I'm also on the HCA bank (starting soon so only mention it in my "gap year plans" bit.)

But my gap year plans are essentially work up enough money to fund this nasty going to uni habit that i'm trying to pick up.

I'm just lucky that I landed medically related jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joemullally)
    Me,
    I have two jobs.
    One in the labs at my hospital as an MLA

and I'm also on the HCA bank (starting soon so only mention it in my "gap year plans" bit.)

But my gap year plans are essentially work up enough money to fund this nasty going to uni habit that i'm trying to pick up.

I'm just lucky that I landed medically related jobs.
    youre pretty much sorted then

im wondering how much of a negative it will be if i cant find a job at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    youre pretty much sorted then

im wondering how much of a negative it will be if i cant find a job at all
    Not negative at all as long as you find some kind of experience or do something constructive.

Basically any job will do and they know it's difficult.
    If not a job then do some voluntary.

Basically the university can't justify someone who took a year out to develop an iron liver.
    Just do something constructive and you'll be fine.

I mean, unless you're parents are like mine and start charging you rent on the threat of throwing you out unless you pay it.
    Then you need a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheddar)
    Euurgh just finished UKCAT got 677.5 avg which isn't too bad but during my QR, I went to the use the keyboard and it ended my test:eek: I was panicking but apparently I had somehow logged out(I only pressed 1!) and had to call over staff to log back in. I didn't lose anytime luckily but I'm sure it affected my QR because I got a lower score than last year (720).
    Snap!
    It sounds like there's been a hell of a lot of technical issues this year, or maybe we're just unlucky

ReputationRep:
    resitting and reapplying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinth)
    Snap!
    It sounds like there's been a hell of a lot of technical issues this year, or maybe we're just unlucky
    I also got 677.5 but that was with no malfunctions (apart from my brain being absent).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.