I should probably start my UCAS App!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baztech)
    Ahhh I see, the plot somewat thickens.

Good luck with it man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quackers93)
    Woooo! Well done and OMG you've changed your picture! Wheres simon amstell in the bunny costume? :eek:
    THANKS
    I know! :eek: I just decided on a change, but i'll always love simon amstell :hearts: hahaha.
    So where are you applying with me? i cant remember the date you said your ukcat was....
    Congrats on the jobby btw xxx Beware it is a grind but also a valuable learning experience and you will meet lots of great folk both patients and people in the multidisiplinary team.

Not sure about tax, havn't started that long ago and it's monthly paid. Worked (including shift in few hours) last 9 out of 10 days, cannae be arsed!
    Yeah i'm expecting it to be a grnd :| working at the pharmacy is canny grindy :|
    However im hoping that having two dif jobs will make it a tad better
    You're a HCA right?
    (Original post by joemullally)
    Tbf if anyone on here is applying to the same uni and they get same day interviews, they should meet up post interview and sample the night life?

Legend.
    About your tax query I get taxed monthly.
    I'm at the bottom of band 2 and for my first month was on emergency tax (code started with OT)
    Get them to change it as soon as possible. For my first 3 weeks pay packet I got 606 after tax.
    Because they changed my tax code for the second pay packet I ended up paying minus tax (rebate) and got like 1200 overall.
    It was a good day.
    Your first payslip is a good feeling too, It's all NHS'y.

The pension you also have to "opt out" of and i think also union payments.
    I'm gonna pay them after medschool but right now I need the beer money for uni

But seriously though well done about your job.
    Your ps will be boss now.
    Agree with the bold quote lots. Also if anyone has an interview at newcastle i'd be more than happy to show them the geordie nightlife ...as long as i like them.... and i dont get the impression theyre a 65yr old forum troll...

Bloody hell i dont understand a thing you said about the taxes D: Oh well ill just be happy about all the moneyz I think im getting paid per annum and not per hour for the HCA thingy? cus thats what it said on nhs jobs? but i dunno...

I bloody hope it's good 3/4 of my unis im applying to are PS rapers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenl93)
    THANKS
    I know! :eek: I just decided on a change, but i'll always love simon amstell :hearts: hahaha.
    So where are you applying with me? i cant remember the date you said your ukcat was....

As long as he's still loved lol

Aberdeen and Lancaster me thinks unless i get a shocking ukcat I might swap glasgow for one, but i highly doubt that It's on the 24th Sept so I got a bit of time for practice

Prepare to be proud... I've actually started my ps! :O I'm now thinking crap I've got wayyyyyyyyyy to many characters and careers are gonna hate me when I ask them to help me cut it down but oh wells... but I have started lol

I'm not sure what to write about what I'm doing this year though. I've not got a job yet, applied for a fair few but heard nothing back so far. I'm more or less certain I'll get the nursery one at some point but that could end up being in December when mum goes on maternity but who knows. So I don't know what to put but at least i'm thinking about it now rather than on the 14th Oct

ReputationRep:
    Started thinking about personal statement today.. about time!

Nice city,
    Good nightlife,
    Nice medschool.
    Not really my thing though, It just didn't feel right.
    And a load of people from my end end up going to liverpool, It being the capitol of North Wales after all.
    The open day however put me off, well the medschool admissions talk by the admin tutor in all honesty.

Lovely place though.
    Lets hope I get in and I like it :P

ReputationRep:
    whats everyone putting as their 5th choice this time round? (if you are in fact putting one that is)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenl93)
    THANKS

Yeah i'm expecting it to be a grnd :| working at the pharmacy is canny grindy :|
    However im hoping that having two dif jobs will make it a tad better
    You're a HCA right?

Agree with the bold quote lots. Also if anyone has an interview at newcastle i'd be more than happy to show them the geordie nightlife ...as long as i like them.... and i dont get the impression theyre a 65yr old forum troll...

Bloody hell i dont understand a thing you said about the taxes D: Oh well ill just be happy about all the moneyz I think im getting paid per annum and not per hour for the HCA thingy? cus thats what it said on nhs jobs? but i dunno...

Crap, I'm gonna have to hide my zimmer frame when I'm going to interviews . . .

And just make sure they take you off emergency tax. (per annum on nhs jobs usually just means how much you get per year, on your payslip it'l tell you what you get per hour and band 2 is usually at least £7.10 which is around 14 k per year.)
    If you're working full time then you'll get that probably paid per month like I do and get like a grand ish a month (after tax) which feels awesome when you're drunk and looking at your bank balance.

Also you have to opt out of the pensions and union payments if you don't wanna pay them right away.
    I'm not gonna pay them kinda things till at least f1/f2 and have a career rather than a year job. I need all the money I can get now.

(Original post by areyousure?)
    Started thinking about personal statement today.. about time!

Lets hope I get in and I like it :P

Let's hope so !

(Original post by 786girl)
    whats everyone putting as their 5th choice this time round? (if you are in fact putting one that is)
    Med genetics 4 year at sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    They allocate you a campus but you can show a strong prefference and usually get away with it as far as I understand.

If I was to go there I think I'd start off in plymouth if I had the choice. Not sure though.

My auntie's from exeter and apparently it's a lovely place, but i've heard from other people that it's dead deer.
    But then again most places will be dead deer compared to home.
    I spoke to somebody who started off in Plymouth, and said it was such a good decision. When you go to Exeter, you're not actually IN exeter, you're in a separate campus with the sports science people. Apparently its actually quite far out. I'm definitely going to say I'd prefer to be in Plymouth. You do get to travel quite a bit on placements anyway, so its not a big issue.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and good luck with your application! Well done getting it off so early as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    I spoke to somebody who started off in Plymouth, and said it was such a good decision. When you go to Exeter, you're not actually IN exeter, you're in a separate campus with the sports science people. Apparently its actually quite far out. I'm definitely going to say I'd prefer to be in Plymouth. You do get to travel quite a bit on placements anyway, so its not a big issue.
    its probably the only uni i'd take my car to tbh, there seems to be more traveling that the others.

(Original post by twelve)
    Oh, and good luck with your application! Well done getting it off so early as well
    ahh hopefully it'l go well this time, for all of us . thanks for the well wishes guys.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I see, the plot somewat thickens.

Ditto
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Hellooo So worried :/ Barely done much towards my reapplication. (volunteer 1 or 2 days a week with adults with disabilities. I regret spending so much time with friends this summer. Applied for many jobs but been unsuccessful and i don't even have many plans for the year to write about in my PS. Also haven't done UKCAT yet (it's on the 28th). Felt like I was more prepared last time round- I'd done so much work experience!! Anyway hope all your preparations are going better than mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaz51)
    Hey! Sorry I took such a long time to reply. YES! I am definitely going to be applying to Glasgow (I now have moved to Edinburgh and the University of Glasgow is beautiful) but I would not consider all my choices to be Sccottish Universities though as many English applicants will be applying there this year. So, how have you been utilising your spare time? Any plans abroad?
    Thats alright, sorry I took so long to reply now! But yeah, just got back from spending a month working in a hospital in Moldova, it was a really great experience. Now just need to properly start practicing for UKCAT and get personal statement written aaah. ou got any exciting plans for the year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDSB)
    Hellooo So worried :/ Barely done much towards my reapplication. (volunteer 1 or 2 days a week with adults with disabilities. I regret spending so much time with friends this summer. Applied for many jobs but been unsuccessful and i don't even have many plans for the year to write about in my PS. Also haven't done UKCAT yet (it's on the 28th). Felt like I was more prepared last time round- I'd done so much work experience!! Anyway hope all your preparations are going better than mine.
    Don't worry, I'm in the same position as you haha...only got back yesterday after like almost two months of holidaying/volunteering - which has been good and all but I am so not prepared for applying, done like nothing towards ukcat and not even thought about my personal statement. And I still have to order prospectuses. Oops.

ReputationRep:
    Quick question...probs a stupid one

When reapplying do you have to make a new ucas profile from scratch or can you still use the one from last year and just update it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atomos)
    Quick question...probs a stupid one

When reapplying do you have to make a new ucas profile from scratch or can you still use the one from last year and just update it?
    You can use last years and update it (if you want)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jin3011)
    You can use last years and update it (if you want)
    any benefit to doing it either way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    any benefit to doing it either way?
    Oh do you mean a whole new applicant profile or just the personal statement part?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jin3011)
    Oh do you mean a whole new applicant profile or just the personal statement part?
    the whole thing, is it better to do a new one or use the old one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    the whole thing, is it better to do a new one or use the old one?
    You have to do the whole ucas registration again but for 2012 entry - but keep your p.s the same if you wish.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.