Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RO'Gara)
    can't quite decide where to go!

well I know Newcastle and Glasgow for definite but I'm struggling to decide between Manchester, Peninsula or Imperial. :rolleyes:

I got 730 average on my UKCAT so my head says Manchester and Peninsula but I really love Imperial. Applied there last year but just missed in stupid section 3 of the BMAT, they told me to apply again but I can't make up my mind if its worth the risk!
    Go for imperial or you'll spend the rest of your life thinking what if.your ukcat score would do well for you at Manchester. Manchester is a great uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldbatty)
    Go for imperial or you'll spend the rest of your life thinking what if.your ukcat score would do well for you at Manchester. Manchester is a great uni!
    I think I might! I'll just eat, sleep, breathe BMAT til 4th Nov but then again if I miss out again this year I'll kick myself so hard

Yeah I do really like Manchester, I think I'll put it down as a definite. I think thats my application nearly sorted thanks! Although I'll prob hover to and fro with Imperial and Peninsula

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any advice please..I've just started biomedicine and I have AAA in Biology, Chemistry and Maths..645 in UKCAT and I'm looking to apply to Leicester, Southampton, Peninsula and somewhere else, not too sure but perhaps Newcastle/Queens Belfast. Good chance of being successful this time? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abi_18)
    Anyone got any advice please..I've just started biomedicine and I have AAA in Biology, Chemistry and Maths..645 in UKCAT and I'm looking to apply to Leicester, Southampton, Peninsula and somewhere else, not too sure but perhaps Newcastle/Queens Belfast. Good chance of being successful this time? Thanks
    Have you checked here that those unis will allow people leaving a degree? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1245817

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superG123)
    I think I will reapply there and reaaally hope they give me an interview again, everyone seems to be applying there, but i guess it might not be representative.

My ukcat is tuesday, i am well and truly screwed. good luck with yours and same, my statement is too long and it's been cut down and i sound like a robot because all the sentences and stupidly short :confused:
    Saw you did well on ukcat. Congrats! I had mine today. Didn't do as well as I was hoping- got 682.5. Think i am going to have to reconsider my choices as I was thinking about Glasgow and Newcasle :/
    I really have to crack on with my ps - barely changed it from last year!!

ReputationRep:
    Just to say guys - I was here last year, and I wish you all the best of luck. Stay positive, don't be disheartened, forget about last year (apart from remember the things you learned from interviews etc!) and move on if bad things happen. You guys know that anyway I really really hope you're all at med school this time next year if you want to be! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atomos)
    Have you checked here that those unis will allow people leaving a degree? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1245817
    Yep, I've checked that page and phoned them up myself too, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Realise i've been asking about this for ages, but i've decided not to consider location anymore, or even the course, just wherever I have the best chance of getting into.

Which two from Glasgow, Dundeee & St Andrews am I wisest to apply to?

I have 667.5 ukcat,
    2010 highers - AAAAB
    2011 highers - A
    2011 adv highers - ABB
    (standard grades 8 ones)

I have spent 1 month volunteering in hospital in moldova, work exp in oncology/ent/opthalmology/gp, volunteer with barnardos for 2 years, nursing home, young enterprise, prefect, saltire award (formerly millennium volunteers award), i swim, musical theatre group, athetics.

ReputationRep:
    Realise i've been asking about this for ages, but i've decided not to consider location anymore, or even the course, just wherever I have the best chance of getting into.

I have 667.5 ukcat,
    2010 highers - AAAAB
    2011 highers - A
    2011 adv highers - ABB
    (standard grades 8 ones)

I have spent 1 month volunteering in hospital in moldova, work exp in oncology/ent/opthalmology/gp, volunteer with barnardos for 2 years, nursing home, young enterprise, prefect, saltire award (formerly millennium volunteers award), i swim, musical theatre group, athetics.

Glasgow reckon ~670 is safe, which you have.
    You have a good eclectic app that Dundee are keen on.

I don't know much about St.Andrews but I reckon the above two you'd get at least an interview in.

ReputationRep:
    Which unis give extra 'marks' for A*s?
    The likes of Cardiff don't care, so any idea as to which Med Schools do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seb)
    I havn't heard of one yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seb)
    I don't know of any, but I'm guessing the ones that may consider it are ones who may be planning on giving out A*'s in offers. Although with the new system at Barts, I think you'd get extra credit for A*'s maybe?

ReputationRep:

I have 667.5 ukcat,
    2010 highers - AAAAB
    2011 highers - A
    2011 adv highers - ABB
    (standard grades 8 ones)

You got an interview at St. Andrews last year didn't you? Cause if you did your ukcat has improved and you've got your adv highers which you didn't have before so you might get more points for your academics. You've probably got more EC and all sorts in there so you might stand a better chance than last year?

ReputationRep:
    I need to narrow those three down to 2 because Edinburgh and Aberdeen are definitely my other two, but I'm so indecisive
    I want a good nightlife = Glasgow & Dundee
    I don't want to stay in Dundee = St Andrews & Glasgow
    My UKCAT is a bit risky = Dundee and St Andrews

But yeah, only Scottish uni's are an option for me! No clue about any funding for that, you're probs just best sticking to Scottish unis.
    Yeah I have decided the same....I think, heh heh. Whats wrong with staying in Dundee? Sure it wouldn't be that bad, esp when you eventually move in with like minded people, I've heard the citys actually decent from people that have lived there in the past.
    Don't quote me on this but I have heard the course is highly regarded. Looks good online, but of course it's not majorly different to any other Universities.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else attending the East Anglia open day this weekend?

Looking forward to it, even though i havent been sent any info and there's nothing on their site about when the medicine talk will be :rolleyes: All part of the thrill

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I would really appreciate your advice on where to apply this year.. such a daunting experience again!!!

GCSE: 7A* 2A
    AS: aaab (Chem, Bio, History, Maths)
    A Level: AAA (Chem, Bio, History)
    UKCAT: 655.. pretty average :/

I was thinking of applying to Liverpool, Leeds, Barts and St Andrews..

do you think my grades are enough for those unis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sms21)
    Hi guys, I would really appreciate your advice on where to apply this year.. such a daunting experience again!!!

GCSE: 7A* 2A
    AS: aaab (Chem, Bio, History, Maths)
    A Level: AAA (Chem, Bio, History)
    UKCAT: 655.. pretty average :/

I was thinking of applying to Liverpool, Leeds, Barts and St Andrews..

do you think my grades are enough for those unis?
    With Barts you would be at a disadvantage because of the new system ranking UCAS points, so if someone has even A*AA they would be above you etc...
    Not sure about the other 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baztech)
    Yeah I have decided the same....I think, heh heh. Whats wrong with staying in Dundee? Sure it wouldn't be that bad, esp when you eventually move in with like minded people, I've heard the citys actually decent from people that have lived there in the past.
    Don't quote me on this but I have heard the course is highly regarded. Looks good online, but of course it's not majorly different to any other Universities.
    Just because I'm bored of dundee having lived here 18 years! It's not the worst place to live, but seeing all my friends move away to uni has made me realise I don't wanna be stuck here all my life

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, just wondering about the UCAS process, did you also create a completely new account? Because when making it, I tried to click on the option where you can supply your old details but it didn't work, so I had to go for "I don't have either". I hope I didn't mess it up, but I did move to a different school this year. My old account still works though because I'm still able to log in to Track...:/ a bit confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinth)
    With Barts you would be at a disadvantage because of the new system ranking UCAS points, so if someone has even A*AA they would be above you etc...
    Not sure about the other 3.

Ahh thanks for replying how does the tariff system work for those who are applying first time to BL? do they give ucas points for predicted A2 grades or AS grades does anyone know? I rung them today and they said they would score the highest qualification, but on the poll on the BL thread on tsr most have clicked A*A*A*A* gahhhh

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2012

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.