Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Phew! Okay, just chose PMS as one of my choices. One down, three to go. AESWDMDFSHKLTR:ML!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i want to apply to Sheffield but my UKCAT score is 710!!!! Anybody know approx how much Sheffield said their UKCAT would reduce by?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seb)
    Can someone tell me how I have gained 8 characters by copying my statement from Word to UCAS?

There aren't even that many paragraphs for it to be that
    I had same problem !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Galaxy99)
    i want to apply to Sheffield but my UKCAT score is 710!!!! Anybody know approx how much Sheffield said their UKCAT would reduce by?!
    I read on one of the threads that at the open day that they were going to lower it this year. Try the sheffield thread if there is one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seb)
    Can someone tell me how I have gained 8 characters by copying my statement from Word to UCAS?

There aren't even that many paragraphs for it to be that
    I remember it being different last year when I pasted mine in as well. I did some final editing on the UCAS site and ended up gaining some extra characters. It might have had something to do with the number of lines, I can't remember. Have a play around with it on UCAS - you can always revert back and upload the original again. Check the original incase you have hit the space button after any paragraphs and try delete instead. It might give you an extra character or two.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Go away for a few days and I have 5 odd pages worth of reading when I come back - good thing I've got all this free time to catch up with it all

ReputationRep:
    hmmm! starting HCA job mid Nov. How should I put on UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    144 characters over, so near yet so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Galaxy99)
    Well I think the website said probably 700, but you don't want to trust it too much. They won't know for sure until November.

(Original post by Anterior view)
    Im not applying to sheffield but was talking to someone who said sheffield were thinking of ditching the ukcat. It obviously won't be this year but i'm sure ther will be less emphasis on it. You have a great score and im sure you will be fine. Give them a phone and say you desperately want to go there and see what they say. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they lowered their emphasis on it - a cutoff of 717.5 last year is ridiculous. Its got to the point now, where anybody with a UKCAT of less than 700 doesn't even consider sheffield, and even then, its a risky one unless you have a stupidly high score. I'm worried that if I get an interview there, they might ask what I think about it, and I am going to struggle soo much not to rant :P

(Original post by rozca)
    Thanks, whats made you say this (first hand experience/friend's experience, their website or phonecalls etc) or was this just a guess?
    I wouldn't apply to Sheffield with your score, unless you are international. But I agree with Leeds - I think you do get extra marks just for having grades in hand

ReputationRep:
    Im not applying to sheffield but was talking to someone who said sheffield were thinking of ditching the ukcat. It obviously won't be this year but i'm sure ther will be less emphasis on it. You have a great score and im sure you will be fine. Give them a phone and say you desperately want to go there and see what they say. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.
    I'm pretty sure Sheffield actually started the UKCAT? If they ditch it now it says a hell of a lot about it's effectiveness at distinguishing between potentially good / bad doctors. But I doubt they will, although lowering it seems sensible seeing as even the best candidate can have a shocker on the day of the test and end up loosing 4/5 unis to choose from.

and yes I didn't do very well

ReputationRep:
    Yeh well maybe they have now looked at the kind of students they have attracted and now realize they may have made a mistake. (No offence to anyone with a very high score)I happen to think the ukcat is NOT a good way to choose a student its a stupid test which proves nothing. I also believe you dont have to be an egg head with AAAAA or A*A*A*. A Good level of intellect and ability to relate to people normally is all you need.
    I would generally agree with this, but I guess what are they to do when there is such a large surplus of applicants who fulfill every criteria, they need to have something to distinguish between them rather than just pick whatever tickles their fancy! And the best way to do this is to have an entrance exam of some sort (im not saying an aptitude test is the best thing, it may be but im not saying that it 100% is) Also, i agree that crazy high academics such as AAAAA or A*A*A* is not required like you say, but how are they to distinguish between two medical applicants if they dont consider an A* to be better than an A when in reality anyone thats got an A* will know how much difficult that was to get than an A.. the transition between an A and an A* is greater than any other transition purely because at that level it gets really hard to improve by a further 10%!! So although i dont think A*A*A* is required, it is a better way of measure potential for a future doctor than some of the other things they seem to like (ability at sports etc or how well you can play a musical instrument - yes, all this make you interesting but it isnt relevent to a medical career) Oh and also they pay so much attention to a personal statement.. which is at the end of the day just words, and those better at English are likely to write a more striking one.. and how personal is it exactly when it goes through loads of people before being sent off? .. sorry rant over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozca)
    I would generally agree with this, but I guess what are they to do when there is such a large surplus of applicants who fulfill every criteria, they need to have something to distinguish between them rather than just pick whatever tickles their fancy! And the best way to do this is to have an entrance exam of some sort (im not saying an aptitude test is the best thing, it may be but im not saying that it 100% is) Also, i agree that crazy high academics such as AAAAA or A*A*A* is not required like you say, but how are they to distinguish between two medical applicants if they dont consider an A* to be better than an A when in reality anyone thats got an A* will know how much difficult that was to get than an A.. the transition between an A and an A* is greater than any other transition purely because at that level it gets really hard to improve by a further 10%!! So although i dont think A*A*A* is required, it is a better way of measure potential for a future doctor than some of the other things they seem to like (ability at sports etc or how well you can play a musical instrument - yes, all this make you interesting but it isnt relevent to a medical career) Oh and also they pay so much attention to a personal statement.. which is at the end of the day just words, and those better at English are likely to write a more striking one.. and how personal is it exactly when it goes through loads of people before being sent off? .. sorry rant over.
    Yes I understand what your saying. But being interesting I think is a good thing. Your far more likely to be interested in things patients may have to say and will generally me more interested in colleagues.. Some really bright people just don't have the interpersonal skills and can't relate to a normal person if you know what I mean. The super bright are sometimes suited better to pure research. The ps I agree with but then what are you supposed to do. Personally I think everyone should have an interview with the best candidates being called back for more then you'd really get to know the applicant better. But the unis could never do this. Edinburgh don't interview school leavers and I don't think that's right somehow

ReputationRep:
    Yeh well maybe they have now looked at the kind of students they have attracted and now realize they may have made a mistake. (No offence to anyone with a very high score)I happen to think the ukcat is NOT a good way to choose a student its a stupid test which proves nothing. I also believe you dont have to be an egg head with AAAAA or A*A*A*. A Good level of intellect and ability to relate to people normally is all you need.
    I know somebody who does interviews for medical school at Sheffield, and she was amazed I didn't get in - mostly because she knows that she personally interviewed MUCH weaker candidates than me, even though they had higher UKCAT scores. From her point of view, she doesn't think it says a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Help
    Ukcat: 662.5 did a lot better last year
    GCSE's: 7A* 3A
    A LEVELS: A*A*AA FurtherMaths/Maths/Chem/Bio
    Have all the relevant work exp, job as HCA, extra curricular stuff etc
    PS is almost there

Which unis should i apply to with a good chance of an interview?
    Done some research and I was thinking Leeds, HYMS and Keele, cant think of a fourth atm.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atayi1234)
    Help
    Ukcat: 662.5 did a lot better last year
    GCSE's: 7A* 3A
    A LEVELS: A*A*AA FurtherMaths/Maths/Chem/Bio
    Have all the relevant work exp, job as HCA, extra curricular stuff etc
    PS is almost there

Which unis should i apply to with a good chance of an interview?
    Done some research and I was thinking Leeds, HYMS and Keele, cant think of a fourth atm.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Southampton?

ReputationRep:
    Well... this has turned out really bad

My biology and maths teachers won't predict me an A and A* so it doesnt look like i'll even be able to apply to UEA And liverpool/lancaster don't even look at ukcat (one of my stronger points) and newcastle have said they wouldn't accept me already.

Just trying to figure out what i do now

ReputationRep:
    Yes I understand what your saying. But being interesting I think is a good thing. Your far more likely to be interested in things patients may have to say and will generally me more interested in colleagues.. Some really bright people just don't have the interpersonal skills and can't relate to a normal person if you know what I mean. The super bright are sometimes suited better to pure research. The ps I agree with but then what are you supposed to do. Personally I think everyone should have an interview with the best candidates being called back for more then you'd really get to know the applicant better. But the unis could never do this. Edinburgh don't interview school leavers and I don't think that's right somehow

Yeah but being interesting shouldnt be an entrance criteria? Also your interests, i feel, cant be judged! in the sense you cant compare a top violinist (not me, never will be me) to someone interested in hiking, achieved awards in the duke of ed scheme (more my thing) do you get what i mean? All of this should just be added bonuses to the application and not mandatory. I think it should be more fair though.. like maybe all med applicants should have taken the same subjects, i know im biased but i think its harder to get A*AA in maths, chem, phys (which i have along with a further A and c) than to get the same grades of A*AA in say r.e, welsh(if native or any language thats native to you) and chemistry, who are equally considered :/ I also think there shouldnt be different exam boards.. I'm sure we have all experienced atleast one exam where we messed up or whatever (like the questions were actually aweful) , but someone on a different exam board didnt even get those set of questions! So i guess the ukcat in one way is good.. everyone in the given year takes the same exam.. arhh i dont know, theres so much i would change if it was down to me! and only to make it fairer, as i know of some people hwo have gotten in who will probably make good doctors but i know of a few people who havent got in but are definitely better in every aspect of the application.. just seems unfair :/

ReputationRep:
    Hey hopeful medics any of you starting work as a care worker? I have been invited to start my work, my induction is tomorrow. I do not know what to expect from my job. Any experience shared is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I am studying the international foundation program for medicine at St. George's and I also reapply this year. Do you know any uni that do not allow or think negatively about this because my teacher says that it is a new course?

ReputationRep:
    Which back up courses can you apply to with a medicine personal statement??

As we are in gap years , do we get interview slots around exam times?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2012
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.