Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    Check their website - there is a line on there which suggests they are estimating the cutoff to be around 700 I think. But of course, they won't know if that will actually happen until they get all the results.
    Yeah I saw that, but apparently they estimated it to be around 700 last year as well?

ReputationRep:
    my personal statement is exactly 4000 characters, ooh.

ReputationRep:
    Right well my personal statement is 50 lines with spaces between each paragraph, 45 without. I have not a clue where I'm going to find 3 lines to cut so would it look really unproffessional if I did introduction space work exp and science and extracurricular space conclusion? That brings me to 47 and it is quite obvious in my massive work experience etc chunk, where one section begins and the other ends.
    HELP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areyousure?)
    Yeah but as a resit, BSMS want A*AA and Soton AAA... I don't think I can get an A* in Chemistry sooo I'm going for Southampton. Lets hope I win the lottery !
    Behrouz!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kim93)
    I can't believe your school is actually doing that. That is so wrong !!!!! and I don't understand how that would help your application since you're re-applicant, aren't you?
    yes I'm a reapplicant but ucas wouldn't let me put my predicted grades in otherwise. and because i'm applying via my school i have to put that im attending which is annoying, although it's evident from my personal statement/reference that i'm on a gap year and reapplying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superG123)
    yes I'm a reapplicant but ucas wouldn't let me put my predicted grades in otherwise. and because i'm applying via my school i have to put that im attending which is annoying, although it's evident from my personal statement/reference that i'm on a gap year and reapplying.
    Sorry, I stil quite don't understand why you still need predicted grades? extra courses? resits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetchilli)
    How would you know this? Evidence?

My interviewers were both great.

I was born and lived in Glasgow for a lot of my life, lived and worked in Edinburgh and Manchester, St. andrews, Stirling and various other places including abroad. My view of my home city is more positive than yours obviously seems to be. I take it you will not be applying there then?
    I know because one of the consultants on my work placement told me there were problems with the Glasgow course. And when i went to the open day the question was asked by someone in my group, the answer from the med student was they were dropping some pbl to address these problems,. Now why would they do that if there wasnt a problem??
    Your interviewers may have been great but then you were fortunate. CBA looking back to last years thread but some people HATED the interview. This was also discussed at the open day the "Good cop bad cop stuff".Glasgow can be a nice city "at times" but you cannot deny there are problems especially sectarianism and i find that embarrassing as a scot! With a ukcat of 720 I might apply........ as a back up.
    Yes well you may have a positive take on Glasgow mine is realistic. Just a question which part of my assessment of the city dont you agree with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kim93)
    Sorry, I stil quite don't understand why you still need predicted grades? extra courses? resits?
    Extra AS and A2, no resits. I emailed my unis I hope it will be okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palladium)
    Behrouz!
    Hi?
    I am really confused :P Care to build on that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lookout)
    I know because one of the consultants on my work placement told me there were problems with the Glasgow course. And when i went to the open day the question was asked by someone in my group, the answer from the med student was they were dropping some pbl to address these problems,. Now why would they do that if there wasnt a problem??
    Your interviewers may have been great but then you were fortunate. CBA looking back to last years thread but some people HATED the interview. This was also discussed at the open day the "Good cop bad cop stuff".Glasgow can be a nice city "at times" but you cannot deny there are problems especially sectarianism and i find that embarrassing as a scot! With a ukcat of 720 I might apply........ as a back up.
    Yes well you may have a positive take on Glasgow mine is realistic. Just a question which part of my assessment of the city dont you agree with?
    I don't understand your point on this thread...

First you say encouraging people to apply to Glasgow when its not their first choice is a bad thing, then you go on and on about all the bad things in Glasgow, and then you say YOU might apply for the exact reason you disagreed with earlier. Tbh, I don't think Glasgow would be much of a backup for you... As I know it, they want to see that you understand the curriculum they have and can say why that suits you (and you've done nothing but complain about it) and why you'd want to go to Glasgow (which you clearly do not want to...) If you got an interview, how on earth would you be able to be positive about a place you seem to hate?!

Surely there are other medschools you could apply to...

ReputationRep:
    So...
    I keep checking my UCAS to proof read my personal statement even though i've already applied. I am so nervous that i haven't made the right choice with my uni's

How is everyone?

ReputationRep:
    Guys i got a dilemma, did my ukcat about two weeks ago.
    Got a 662.5 which was worst than last years.
    QR 720
    DA 700
    AR 670
    VR 560

should i put down my individual scores in ucas so the universities see i messed up on one and my others where actually quite good or leave it as an average?
    i dont think any unis would have a problem with the 560.. any advice?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by atayi1234)
    Guys i got a dilemma, did my ukcat about two weeks ago.
    Got a 662.5 which was worst than last years.
    QR 720
    DA 700
    AR 670
    VR 560

should i put down my individual scores in ucas so the universities see i messed up on one and my others where actually quite good or leave it as an average?
    i dont think any unis would have a problem with the 560.. any advice?
    You don't need to put down your individual scores on UCAS. Universities will receive the full transcript of your UKCAT score from the organisation directly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    You don't need to put down your individual scores on UCAS. Universities will receive the full transcript of your UKCAT score from the organisation directly.
    My head of sixth said i should. Do you know if my unis would mark me down on the 560?
    Im applying to Barts,Keele,HullYork,Leeds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atayi1234)
    My head of sixth said i should. Do you know if my unis would mark me down on the 560?
    Im applying to Barts,Keele,HullYork,Leeds
    You don't need to put it down - they'll get the results directly. If you ask me, putting them down says that you don't understand the system :/

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to put it down - they'll get the results directly. If you ask me, putting them down says that you don't understand the system :/
    okay thanks, i understand what you mean. I'll leave it out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lookout)
    As someone doing PBL, I have no problem with it as a way of learning and certainly will do the work and not be lacking. With weekly objectives given out after the PBL, if people miss any relevant material they can go back and fill in their gaps. It was not PBL that was problematic per se but the fact the they used to set 2 per week and the previous cohorts felt this to be too much in addition to the supporting lectures and labs so the uni have responded by reducing PBL to one per week for the 1st part of the course (10 weeks) to enable people to familiarise themselves with the way of learning (alien to many from school not so for postgrads like myself).

Listening to hearsay is not evidence.

As for my positivity about Glasgow: That is just my nature. Sectarianism and many 'isms" exist throughout the world and also in other UK cities but to focus on the negatives is not something that I do but rather the opposite. All cities have there problems - it is the nature of their size/mix of different people with varying incomes etc.

Good luck with your application but if you are so down on Glasgow I would be surprised if you can convince interviewers (bad cop/good cop; good/good; or bad/bad) that you really want to study there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superG123)
    Extra AS and A2, no resits. I emailed my unis I hope it will be okay
    I see. Not quite sure they will count as all the A2's need to be taken within a year. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetchilli)
    As someone doing PBL, I have no problem with it as a way of learning and certainly will do the work and not be lacking. With weekly objectives given out after the PBL, if people miss any relevant material they can go back and fill in their gaps. It was not PBL that was problematic per se but the fact the they used to set 2 per week and the previous cohorts felt this to be too much in addition to the supporting lectures and labs so the uni have responded by reducing PBL to one per week for the 1st part of the course (10 weeks) to enable people to familiarise themselves with the way of learning (alien to many from school not so for postgrads like myself).

Listening to hearsay is not evidence.

As for my positivity about Glasgow: That is just my nature. Sectarianism and many 'isms" exist throughout the world and also in other UK cities but to focus on the negatives is not something that I do but rather the opposite. All cities have there problems - it is the nature of their size/mix of different people with varying incomes etc.

Good luck with your application but if you are so down on Glasgow I would be surprised if you can convince interviewers (bad cop/good cop; good/good; or bad/bad) that you really want to study there.
    So you agree there were problems and the uni is making an effort to fix them then that's good.Glasgow was more pbl than other Scottish unis but now that it's reduced the option is there for me if I want. Good on you for being positive about the city,but I stand by what I said in my previous post. If someone is choosing to live somewhere for five years then it's important to know as much as possible about the place beforehand.You've gone with the positives I perhaps have shown the negatives. If I get an interview I will try and secure an offer if the course is less pbl then maybe I "can " convince the interviewers! If it were my only interview I'd have to!

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand your point on this thread...

First you say encouraging people to apply to Glasgow when its not their first choice is a bad thing, then you go on and on about all the bad things in Glasgow, and then you say YOU might apply for the exact reason you disagreed with earlier. Tbh, I don't think Glasgow would be much of a backup for you... As I know it, they want to see that you understand the curriculum they have and can say why that suits you (and you've done nothing but complain about it) and why you'd want to go to Glasgow (which you clearly do not want to...) If you got an interview, how on earth would you be able to be positive about a place you seem to hate?!

Surely there are other medschools you could apply to...
    I don't hate Glasgow....where in my post did i say i didnt want to ? I live here! but it's not the rosy place the op was painting.I merely highlighted those problems. The course itself has now been changed to include less pbl so that may suit me I am staying in scotland as I get free education so I have to consider Glasgow seriously and maybe try and work round the course. It doesn't matter what I say anyway people will make their own minds up. But someone applying from the south of England for example would find the climate much different to what they are used to. The stuff I mentioned earlier are facts about the city. Nothing I have said is untrue

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.