Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can't decide between st andrews and glasgow still :| am swaying towards glasgow now, have thirty minutes to decide, waaaah

ReputationRep:
    So my personal statement starts with, 'Being unsuccessful in my application to study medicine last year.........'
    Do you think this sounds negative? I was ok with it but then I let someone read it and they said it was negative :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDSB)
    So my personal statement starts with, 'Being unsuccessful in my application to study medicine last year.........'
    Do you think this sounds negative? I was ok with it but then I let someone read it and they said it was negative :/
    I'll be honest, I think it sounds pretty negative. The first sentence should be positive and show a little bit of what is to come - using the word unsuccessful isn't a word for the first sentence. By all means, make the point you were going to make later on in your ps, but I certainly wouldn't put it in the first sentence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atomos)
    can't decide between st andrews and glasgow still :| am swaying towards glasgow now, have thirty minutes to decide, waaaah
    I chose glasgow. Hope that helps!

I bet you'll choose St Andrews now
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by JessicaStacks)
    I know what you mean. I feel a lot more confident going in this year. I am not doubting the fact that I didn't get in last year, because I still feel like I deserved a place (and I've been told by several people that it was outrageous that I didn't get in) BUT I feel like I've taken it in a positive way and learnt from it. The fact that we are reapplying shows that we are committed to medicine, and that it is really what we want to do. I do hope that it goes well for us all. Being delayed a year sucks, but in the long run we will be looking back and saying actually, that year was good for me. And who knows, we might get into better places this year than the ones we applied to last year.
    I agree with all that you've said here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    I'll be honest, I think it sounds pretty negative. The first sentence should be positive and show a little bit of what is to come - using the word unsuccessful isn't a word for the first sentence. By all means, make the point you were going to make later on in your ps, but I certainly wouldn't put it in the first sentence.
    Thanks. I want to keep the sentence in, just think I'll put it i somewhere else. My initial idea was that it would stand out and show that I'm not hiding the fact it's my second attempt and that I'm a stronger applicant from it. However I don't want them to not consider my application after reading the first few sentences of my ps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seb)
    I chose glasgow. Hope that helps!

I bet you'll choose St Andrews now
    nah i did choose glasgow! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDSB)
    Thanks. I want to keep the sentence in, just think I'll put it i somewhere else. My initial idea was that it would stand out and show that I'm not hiding the fact it's my second attempt and that I'm a stronger applicant from it. However I don't want them to not consider my application after reading the first few sentences of my ps.
    Yeahh, I mean it'll make it stand out, and for some admissions tutors, it might be a really strong statement, and give the effect you're looking for, but others it might just come across as a bit too negative for the opening.

ReputationRep:
    guys,

im a tad late in starting all my volunteering/work experience this year. reckon its ok to put everything im goin to try and do on PS?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, quick question

Does one work IN a maternity ward,
    or ON a maternity ward?

I thought it was in but a friend seems to be super sure it's on... sounds funny to me...

ReputationRep:
    Guys, quick question

Does one work IN a maternity ward,
    or ON a maternity ward?

I thought it was in but a friend seems to be super sure it's on... sounds funny to me...
    think on is the more accepted one, but either would be fine
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by kingme)
    guys,

im a tad late in starting all my volunteering/work experience this year. reckon its ok to put everything im goin to try and do on PS?
    This one is a bit dodgy. If you start volunteering in, say, December and get an interview in November, what then? They could question you in which case you'd have to know what to say or your hesitation will be obvious and your interviewers may think you are lying/making stuff up.

If you think your PS is lacking without it then its a risk, but if not then leave it out. I've known some people to 'embellish' what they've done and get away with it but I've also been advised to be completely honest about everything on there, because it will be picked apart.

ReputationRep:
    guys,

Yeah go for it. I was about to send my application off (like a day before) and then I got a reply from the hospice that was some 2 months late saying they will have an opening to volunteer weekly from january.
    I had to change my ps, and I said "blah blah blah I look forward to volunteering weekly in jan". That might be a bit ****, but it's too late for me now anyway.

Anything they really want to know, they can ask you in the interview - but that might be my ignorance saying that

ReputationRep:
    hey folks, i am having a med-life crisis, I think i've made a silly decision about applying to Leicester , it's the second most applied to med school on the student room so far and this has put me off loads because it doesn't even have that many seats, should i change to St George's where i am apparently very likely guaranteed an interview (but in expensive London) or just leave it at Leicester?

Also does anyone know if uni's expect more or less applicants this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vox0)
    This one is a bit dodgy. If you start volunteering in, say, December and get an interview in November, what then? They could question you in which case you'd have to know what to say or your hesitation will be obvious and your interviewers may think you are lying/making stuff up.

If you think your PS is lacking without it then its a risk, but if not then leave it out. I've known some people to 'embellish' what they've done and get away with it but I've also been advised to be completely honest about everything on there, because it will be picked apart.
    Im not going to 'embellish' what i've done, just say im in the process of X and i am interested in Y.

(Original post by Seb)
    Yeah go for it. I was about to send my application off (like a day before) and then I got a reply from the hospice that was some 2 months late saying they will have an opening to volunteer weekly from january.
    I had to change my ps, and I said "blah blah blah I look forward to volunteering weekly in jan". That might be a bit ****, but it's too late for me now anyway.

Anything they really want to know, they can ask you in the interview - but that might be my ignorance saying that
    id rather mention stuff i was going to do to guarantee it coming up.

ReputationRep:
    5th choice?
    Is it too risky to apply to a university like UCL for Biomed? Or King's?
    What about neuroscience at UCL? Or would that be too far off? I just want to have a good option

ReputationRep:
    Im not going to 'embellish' what i've done, just say im in the process of X and i am interested in Y.

id rather mention stuff i was going to do to guarantee it coming up.
    Sorry, I meant that you don't need to write in too much detail about it, definately mention it though!

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe this. If I go to camp america I will miss Euro 2012 and London Olympics!!

Damn!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seb)
    I can't believe this. If I go to camp america I will miss Euro 2012 and London Olympics!!

Damn!!
    im pretty sure they have the internet in america

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. I feel a lot more confident going in this year. I am not doubting the fact that I didn't get in last year, because I still feel like I deserved a place (and I've been told by several people that it was outrageous that I didn't get in) BUT I feel like I've taken it in a positive way and learnt from it. The fact that we are reapplying shows that we are committed to medicine, and that it is really what we want to do. I do hope that it goes well for us all. Being delayed a year sucks, but in the long run we will be looking back and saying actually, that year was good for me. And who knows, we might get into better places this year than the ones we applied to last year.
    I also agree completely. You're basically echoing exactly what I've been telling all the people who have said 'How did you not get in this year!?' and 'Do you think you'll get in this year?'

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.