Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areyousure?)
    Hi!!! I think I have seen you in my blog.... maybe not! but I am looking forward to keeping up with youu through yours Best of luck!

Hey yeah i'm following you Your blog is very good!!
    and thanks, best of luck to you too!

ReputationRep:

Welcome!! I want some Chemistry tips pleasee!! :P
    Here is what I've told everyone so far:

I go through my book and read the headings etc, I kind of glance at everything and see what pops into my head, then I look through the text and make sure I understand what's going on and that I managed to think of it when I read the title. If there is something you really don't remember read through it and do the questions on it (if your textbook has questions).

Chemistry is all about the theory and applying that theory to the questions. The best practice is to print off past papers AND THEIR MARK SCHEMES. By going through it yourself you get an idea of what the examiners want and eventually you can get 4/5 marks in just a few sentences as you know what criteria to hit. Also don't be afraid to go back to 2002 past papers, the spec has changed and some questions won't be relevant but by doing the questions you recognise as part of your course you will be super prepared!! This is the most important part, especially going through it with the mark scheme, that way you learn what the examiners want and how to hit the marking criteria.

Also I have in the past printed off the specification and literally ticked the things off that I knew, if you know everything on there you're in line for success. If there is something you're unsure about then just go over it in your book.

It's time consuming but sooooo worth it, good luck. I hope it helped, people revise differently many make pages and pages of notes. Just find what's best for you

Hope it helped sorry about going on!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor.)
    Ah thats cool, you'll get there
    Thank you, i hope so! Good luck!

(Original post by Doctor-to-be)
    I love the dedication!!! Good luck!!!
    Thanks very much, I hope this is the last time i'm applying! Good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    I will do this then
    That and past papers.
    I found for WJEC CH4 if you make spider diagrams you can get from any group to any other chemical group if you have enough steps.

Write out the spider diagrams (and how you test for the groups) and then test yourself.
    See if you can get from A to B and B to D.

ReputationRep:
    Here is what I've told everyone so far:

I go through my book and read the headings etc, I kind of glance at everything and see what pops into my head, then I look through the text and make sure I understand what's going on and that I managed to think of it when I read the title. If there is something you really don't remember read through it and do the questions on it (if your textbook has questions).

Chemistry is all about the theory and applying that theory to the questions. The best practice is to print off past papers AND THEIR MARK SCHEMES. By going through it yourself you get an idea of what the examiners want and eventually you can get 4/5 marks in just a few sentences as you know what criteria to hit. Also don't be afraid to go back to 2002 past papers, the spec has changed and some questions won't be relevant but by doing the questions you recognise as part of your course you will be super prepared!! This is the most important part, especially going through it with the mark scheme, that way you learn what the examiners want and how to hit the marking criteria.

Also I have in the past printed off the specification and literally ticked the things off that I knew, if you know everything on there you're in line for success. If there is something you're unsure about then just go over it in your book.

It's time consuming but sooooo worth it, good luck. I hope it helped, people revise differently many make pages and pages of notes. Just find what's best for you

Hope it helped sorry about going on!!
    I think its also pretty important to add that for chemistry, its not what you KNOW, its what you UNDERSTAND. Going through and memorising stuff is fine, but that won't help you get top grades - you need to fully understand all the concepts to be able to apply them.

I think thats where past papers helps - you have to apply the knowledge to be able to answer the questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    I think its also pretty important to add that for chemistry, its not what you KNOW, its what you UNDERSTAND. Going through and memorising stuff is fine, but that won't help you get top grades - you need to fully understand all the concepts to be able to apply them.

I think thats where past papers helps - you have to apply the knowledge to be able to answer the questions
    Yeah and this, that's why writing out what you understand onto white paper is so important.
    The repetition is great for mechanisms but I found that having group revision sessions was vital.
    We talked out everything in a round about way and between us we helped each other understand concepts.

Also the past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)

Yes, understanding the concepts behind Chemistry is how you get the best marks. You actually only need to know a few things and you should, in your head, be able to extrapolate it all, and with a good dose of common sense and a data book get a top mark.

PAST PAPERS WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE.

Good luck everyone! I am a Chemistry whizz, so if you need help, PM me. xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harbour Seal)
    Yes, understanding the concepts behind Chemistry is how you get the best marks. You actually only need to know a few things and you should, in your head, be able to extrapolate it all, and with a good dose of common sense and a data book get a top mark.

And also modest

ReputationRep:
    Ucas applications fall by 9% in comparison from last year. Hopefully we all get in this time around. Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kim93)
    Ucas applications fall by 9% in comparison from last year. Hopefully we all get in this time around. Good luck everyone!
    For medicine specifically or overall?? Must be the higher fees!!

ReputationRep:
    For medicine specifically or overall?? Must be the higher fees!!
    For people applying for courses with October 15th deadline i.e Med, vet med, vet science, dentistry, oxbridge.

http://www.ucas.com/about_us/media_e.../2011/20111024

ReputationRep:

Hahaha...

(Original post by kim93)
    This sounds like good news, but 9% isn't very much really is it - there will still have been THOUSANDS of applications...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    For people applying for courses with October 15th deadline i.e Med, vet med, vet science, dentistry, oxbridge.

Thank you!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)

No the 9% is for all courses!

ReputationRep:

Haha you remind me of Senior Chang from Community "I'M A CHEMISTRY GENUIS!!" "MY KNOWLEDGE WILL BITE HER FACE OFF" etc...

Just about to go to my local college for Higher Chem lecture, woo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldbatty)
    No the 9% is for all courses!
    The deadline for most courses (January) hasn't passed yet, the figures are predictions based on the October 15th applications.

ReputationRep:
    no. of applicants for the 15th Oct deadline decreased by only 0.8%!? what the ... !? last year there was a huge increase so the trend is basically just the same this year?!

ReputationRep:
    Its not good news....

Maybe good for GEM but doesn't make a difference to UG Medics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b-beauty)
    my old i.d wont work guys...i can log into apply but not track. why do i feel sick all of a sudden?
    go to track and click each of the options 'forgotten password', 'forgotten ID' and 'forgotten username'. you'll be asked to give your email address and all of your login info will be sent to your email. your password may have changed (mine has) ... just log into Track with the info they email you and hopefully it'll work!

Hope that helps!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozca)
    Hey, im going to be volunteering in africa at some point this year too trying to save every penny from both my jobs atm! I was just wondering, what are you going to do if you get called for interview? How long are you going away for and when? :-) I want to go asap! but i thought it might be best to wait till April time after knowing the decisions form all the medical schools iv applied to.. Yeah just wanted to know how you're going about it :-)
    Hi! I'm on my volunteering right now I decided to go before interviews start because I wanted it to be relevant (work at a clinic) and so I could talk about it at my possible interviews

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.