Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baztech)
    All this talk had made me realise I should re-post the "witty" (and inaccurate) re-applicant mantra I created when I had a bored hour to spare. It's on like page10 of this thread:

So yes re-applicants is the key to this thread, I am devised a sh*ty list to help us acquire stronger applications this year and more importantly (...) to pass the time. By devised I mean think of things as I go along...

1. Have a break - now is probably the best time, I know you want to revaluate and do a little post mortem – as it were – of your last application but for your own sanity have a few weeks off and just stick to your daily routine of work/chill, eat, sleep..*
    2. Get feedback – for both non-interview and interview applicants, it is crucial to find out areas to improve on your application/UKCAT/interview technique.
    3. Achieve the grades – school kids focus on your grades and those in their last year of a degree, bloody hell, pull your finger out for that 2:1 minimum. Who wants to go to Birmingham?
    4. Work experience – more can’t hurt of course, although if you’ve shadowed 5 different doctors and worked in a ward setting for 6months+ I wouldn’t bother…there are other ways to tweak your PS.
    5. Gain more confidence – just in general, do things that test your character, I fall at this hurdle a lot. Talk to that attractive girl/boy at the bar, or stand up to that jobsworth at work.
    6. Get immersed into your hobbies – or find new ones that might be good for your PS/CV. Play golf, invent a new fruit or perhaps eat chairs.
    7. Make money – instead of moping around your parent’s house, occasionally earn some money eh! If you have ample experience in healthcare then just earn some pennies wherever you can, Tesco clothes might suit you.
    8. UKCAT/GAMSAT revision – you now know what to expect, I suggest you do multiple mock tests and purchase new materials (any suggestions for the 2nd best book after the 600Q for UKCAT??) and revel in your cerebral adventure, I’m actually looking forward to the grind.
    9. Have fun – I’m sure when you get into medicine you will still have fun, but truly enjoy some things you love before you have revision/doubts/patients in the back of your mind. Crack open that Father Ted box set and a box of milk tray.
    10. Learn new skills – if you haven’t learnt to drive yet (like me) think about perhaps trying to blitz this during the summer, just to get it out of the way. You could also master origami or learn to imitate foghorns.
    11. Volunteer – even if it’s nothing at all to do with medicine/healthcare/public awareness it will look good on your PS, they lap it up. For men I suggest you volunteer to be a female friend’s sex slave (and keep a diary).
    12. Relive your childhood – pick your nose, make immature comments (“you dropped your gay card” is a personal fave) and dribble your food down your chin. You will miss these days…
    13. Create pointless lists on internet mediums - to allow maximum narcissism to occur and give people you don't know or care about something to laugh at.

*I find good relationships with family and friends, and class A drugs will help during this period.

P.S Whatever you do, do not become like this gentleman. *insert obvious youtube clip*

I know I haven't posed on here in ages but that was EPIC *bows down in adoration*
    I think I joined TSR some pages after that past post

I'm still far too busy battling with my biochemical engineering personal statement (fml)/having nervous breakdowns because my brain is turning to mush and not remembering anything for my chemistry exam in jan/overdosing on coffee and pro-plus to work full-time on a busy understaffed ward/having 4-rejections-deja-vu-nightmares..
    Think I may look into the last bit of advice after good relationships with family and friends..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek)
    I know I haven't posed on here in ages but that was EPIC *bows down in adoration*
    I think I joined TSR some pages after that past post

I'm still far too busy battling with my biochemical engineering personal statement (fml)/having nervous breakdowns because my brain is turning to mush and not remembering anything for my chemistry exam in jan/overdosing on coffee and pro-plus to work full-time on a busy understaffed ward/having 4-rejections-deja-vu-nightmares..
    Think I may look into the last bit of advice after good relationships with family and friends..
    It must totally suck having to write another personal statement, did they actually ask you to do this? I got an unconditional despite the fact the course is completely different to medicine...
    Good luck with it

ReputationRep:
    please someone answer this quick! are fog lights just your normal lights on full beam???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atomos)
    please someone answer this quick! are fog lights just your normal lights on full beam???
    NO. Absolutely not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kim93)
    NO. Absolutely not.
    i didnt think they were (dw i didnt go about driving with my lights on full beam)

but i came to the realisation that today is foggy and idk what fog lights are. woopsy. someone explained it to me though :') ...just need to find where the button is ini my car now

ReputationRep:
    hey fellow re applicants,

Feeling a bit down, this time last year i had an interview at Liverpool and i applied earlier this year...How's everyone feeling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superG123)

Feeling a bit down, this time last year i had an interview at Liverpool and i applied earlier this year...How's everyone feeling?
    There's nothing to feel down about yet!

You must have had a very early interview last year... I'm starting to get nervous, because I know that today is the day that interviews will start to be given out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superG123)

i got an email like half an hour ago and saw it was from ucas and absolutely panicked. but it was only stupid ucas media.

safe to say i am feeling tense.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately we have many tense days ahead. Being through it last year doesnt help at all infact i think the pressure is worse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atomos)
    You should only use fog lights in fog,when used under normal conditions they can be quite distracting for other drivers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anterior view)
    You should only use fog lights in fog,when used under normal conditions they can be quite distracting for other drivers
    Doesn't stop some chavs :/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anterior view)
    haha yes i know that (as limited as my driving knowledge is )
    but today it was so foggy here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinth)
    It must totally suck having to write another personal statement, did they actually ask you to do this? I got an unconditional despite the fact the course is completely different to medicine...
    Good luck with it
    It does SUCK..
    But the course is so competitive, apparantly they are parts of the course that are unique to UCL, best research/lab facilities blah blah blah..
    So around July I emailed the admissions tutor and explained that I had a genuine interest in Biochem Eng and asked if my application would be hindered by the fact that my PS would be so medicine centric, and if so, could I send another one.
    He said they would use an additional PS to assess my passion and interest to study the subject, if I could write one, because that's the main thing they look for when selecting who to invite for interview..

It's just soooo hard to write about another course with the same panache as I did for my UCAS one for med..

ReputationRep:
    It does SUCK..
    But the course is so competitive, apparantly they are parts of the course that are unique to UCL, best research/lab facilities blah blah blah..
    So around July I emailed the admissions tutor and explained that I had a genuine interest in Biochem Eng and asked if my application would be hindered by the fact that my PS would be so medicine centric, and if so, could I send another one.
    He said they would use an additional PS to assess my passion and interest to study the subject, if I could write one, because that's the main thing they look for when selecting who to invite for interview..

It's just soooo hard to write about another course with the same panache as I did for my UCAS one for med..
    It just takes so much time and it's so painful! I truly feel sorry for you

ReputationRep:
    So in other news Michael Jacksons' doctor has been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter! I know he did a terrible thing but I couldn't help feeling sorry for the doctor, he just looked so tired..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovyangel2008)
    So in other news Michael Jacksons' doctor has been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter! I know he did a terrible thing but I couldn't help feeling sorry for the doctor, he just looked so tired..
    America just has an odd legal system though, he was bound to be found guilty for something just so the press would have something to talk about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinth)
    America just has an odd legal system though, he was bound to be found guilty for something just so the press would have something to talk about.
    You think? So do you think if he was trialled in England it would have been a different outcome?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovyangel2008)
    You think? So do you think if he was trialled in England it would have been a different outcome?
    They were more separate comments.
    It would probably have been the same in England because it was so famous and fans would have been outraged that he died. They still have a very odd blame society though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinth)
    It just takes so much time and it's so painful! I truly feel sorry for you
    Lol nothing is easy these days so I'll just have to stop moaning and get on with it..
    Were was your unconditional from???

ReputationRep:
    Lol nothing is easy these days so I'll just have to stop moaning and get on with it..
    Were was your unconditional from???
    Sheffield for Maths

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.